Forum being phased out? Disqus?

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
Gotta say, I am not impressed with the new Escapist format appearing to phase the forum and instead using Disqus.

Disqus is fine and all - but it just seems so... i dunno, non-community?

Like, when I see the forum frontpage: http://v1.escapistmagazine.com/forums/ - here I can see whether or not the entire community active. With a disqus? Not so much.

I just fear that it'll kill off what new community energy that the site has garnered from the reboot.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I don't think that's the case though. Check this out.

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/2018/10/03/welcome-to-escapist-magazine-volume-two/

You're talking about the comments on articles and videos... and even on the old site that was all facebook, and you had to go the the featured content board to get the forum comments on content. They seem to be still working on migrating the "old forums" over to the new site. Seems like they care enough about the community to not just nuke all the threads and start over, but that means new forums will take more time before they're ready. If it even proves possible.

As far as Disqus is concerned, it just seems like that is where the content-on-page discussion is... like facebook used to be on the old site.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Kyrian is right on the money. The plan is to move the forums, accounts and all, over to V2 as soon as possible. It may take some time, though, to ensure that its done properly and as much is ported over as humanly possible.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
In case Jojo's comment is not enough of an assurance, here's one from big honcho Russ Pitts from last week.
Russ Pitts said:
Hey y'all. It's been a struggle to keep the site up AT ALL for the past week or so. But we think we've solved most of the problems we were having with the old tech.

The forums will live here for now. We are working on a plan to bring them over to the new site. It's complicated. But we're committed to not leaving this community behind.
I mean, they could've just installed new forums. Would've been way easier. But they want to port over as much of the old as they can. Which can't be easy. As far as I know the old site is this weird digital frankenstein of custom-coded bits and pieces that no one fully understands how they work, outside of the people who made it, none of whom are around anymore ('cept Kross?).

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
Chimpzy said:
Which can't be easy. As far as I know the old site is this weird digital frankenstein of custom-coded bits and pieces that no one fully understands how they work, outside of the people who made it, none of whom are around anymore ('cept Kross?).
i think not even Kross fully understand the codes. the site was pretty much self sustain for at least 5 years now. they could change little bits, like updates video, but that was it. nobody seems to be able to made any change on the site for a very long while. that's maybe why old videos that are not feature anymore are just hidden but still accessible.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Old Escapist was first created in 2004-5, and then added onto periodically. But for the past few years, no one has really been updating it outside of some quick updates Kross made this spring and summer. Kross is no longer working with us, though The programmers at HQ have been spelunking the code for a couple of months now, and they're slowly going insane from it. It became clear some time in August that we'd have to migrate the entire operation to a more modern platform. It would have been ideal to make that happen all at once, but we kind of didn't have a choice. Now that V2 is working, we'll be moving everything over that we can. Forums included. It might take time.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Russ Pitts said:
Old Escapist was first created in 2004-5, and then added onto periodically. But for the past few years, no one has really been updating it outside of some quick updates Kross made this spring and summer. Kross is no longer working with us, though The programmers at HQ have been spelunking the code for a couple of months now, and they're slowly going insane from it. It became clear some time in August that we'd have to migrate the entire operation to a more modern platform. It would have been ideal to make that happen all at once, but we kind of didn't have a choice. Now that V2 is working, we'll be moving everything over that we can. Forums included. It might take time.
Hire bluegate.

ebalosus

Mar 14, 2011
Honestly I prefer Disqus to Failbook, given what a metadata dragnet the latter is these days...