Forum Upgrades

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Fappy said:
PubClub memberships were so 2010.
Sounds like the "Master of Magnet" is a bit envious.

Oh yeah, I went there.

EDIT: As I said last week, I love the updated look. It's so sleek.

Plus, five badges. Everybody loves badges.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Daystar Clarion said:
Fappy said:
Daystar Clarion said:
What?

Oh, the 'new forum' update?

*Yawn*

Us elite Pub Club members have had it for a while now.

So last week.
PubClub memberships were so 2010.
Yeah, I mean, who likes custom titles anymore, right?

[sub][sub]Don't be sad Fappy, I'm sure you like your lame ass normal title.[/sub][/sub]
I'm not sad... I'M ANGRY!!!!

EDIT: I have free hand to choke you too Z!!!

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Hjalmar Fryklund said:
On a more serious note, it annoys me a bit that quote sections have such vague lines now. Difficult to see if it is a quote or a post. And the user info section could use a line that separates it from the actual post part of the post.
Check your browsing options. The new forum layout takes those options into consideration.

Hjalmar Fryklund

May 22, 2008
ThyNameIsMud said:
Hjalmar Fryklund said:
On a more serious note, it annoys me a bit that quote sections have such vague lines now. Difficult to see if it is a quote or a post. And the user info section could use a line that separates it from the actual post part of the post.
Check your browsing options. The new forum layout takes those options into consideration.
Thanks, I didn't know where to find them.

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Hjalmar Fryklund said:
ThyNameIsMud said:
Hjalmar Fryklund said:
They're also the gear that's at the top of the page. :)

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
FalloutJack said:
CJ1145 said:
They are getting worse every time!

Please, Escapist! Please just stop.

This feels like it was designed at the turn of the century.
I cannot hit that toggle fast enough.

Did Ray Charles help or was it Stevie Wonder?
If you would care to voice constructive criticism, that might help us better understand why you don't appreciate the change. But there's no need to be a jerk.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
I for one like it.

But I'm sure there will be plenty of folk who'll ***** about it until they're blue in the face.
Such is the way of the interwebs.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
May I suggest that the nameplate part of the bar above every post be blue? I like how the buttons on the right-hand side light up blue, but I feels too bland with so much grey.

EDIT: It is especially bad for staff posts. The orange on grey looks icky.

Volstag9

Apr 28, 2008
I guess it's time for some in depth constructive criticism, Roger Ebert style!

I like it.

Hjalmar Fryklund

May 22, 2008
ThyNameIsMud said:
Hjalmar Fryklund said:
ThyNameIsMud said:
Hjalmar Fryklund said:
They're also the gear that's at the top of the page. :)
Oh right, I forgot about that. Sloppy lil' me...

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
While the forum certainly match the rest of the website but it kind of werid seeing the time of the post being on the bar now instead of below the avatar. Other than that this will take time getting used to or not.

mixadj

Oct 23, 2010
I like the new look. Very sleek without killing functionality. However its very, very, grey. I'm going to go fiddle with settings. I hope there is a color option. One more thing that is probably only affecting me. I have a 4x3 monitor and that extra badge pushed the page slightly off the monitor. I don't like vertical scroll bars. Minor issue I know, I will just zoom out and get used to it....

Aug 25, 2009
It's all too big.

I don't need half-inch thick lines defining where one post ends and another begins (and in another colour? Come on), I don't need the avatars to be any bigger and I certainly don't need to know any more about you people.

I know I'm probably in a minority but I don't care what badges people have earned, I never read their 'witty' forum tags and I barely even glance at the avatars anymore. Anyone with a small sized avatar now just looks silly with all the blank space surrounding them, and without an increase in text size the bigger avatars look weird sitting in between tiny little text more suited to the smaller box sizes.

My overall impression is of too much blank space doing nothing but distracting me, and of the posts now being pushed a little further over. This is in no way an indication that I want those things to be bigger though. If I cared enough about people to check their badges or their description bits or their names and avatars I'd go to their profile.

My secondary impression is of 'unnecessary.' The old layout worked perfectly fine, was pleasing to the eye, uncluttered but equally not rolling in emptiness and most importantly the focus was on the posts. It feels more and more like I'm supposed to be looking at the people making these posts, or completely irrelevant information like when the post was made. None of this is necessary or even wanted for me to engage in a debate with someone. I don't need to know who they are, I need to be able to read their argument without their 'funny' little gif getting in the way.

Make the lines dividing posts smaller and less obtrusive (change the colour to be lighter.) Put all the useless information like date and time posted to the very far left and in tiny font, make the boxes containing information thinner so they don't intrude onto my reading of people's posts and for god's sake stop trying to push that whole badges thing? Anyone who genuinely cares about their badges is the sort of person who tries to get them, and that makes them annoying (posting in dozens of different forums just to get the 'I've been in lots of forums' badge, making irrelevant topics so they can eventually one day get the 'I made a thread people actually looked at' badge) I won't say the badges system is entirely useless, I'll just say that it doesn't and has never added anything to my enjoyment of this site, and in fact on many occasions has annoyed and distracted me from enjoying this site.

On a related note, why is it that now whenever I see the 'site changes' news topic I get ready to make my case, be ignored (because we all saw how many real changes were made the last time they did this), and spend another two to three months avoiding the Escapist until they make drastic changes to pull it halfway back to being decent? I liked the old layout before all that drop down menu nonsense, why can't we go back to that? Yeah, I'm still sore over that.

zerragonoss

Oct 15, 2009
I like the new look so far.

Also, might I suggest adding a poll or something so people who like it are more likely to respond as people who are happy tend not to comment.

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Quiet Stranger said:
Some guy mentioned that I could toggle back to the old (better) format, how do I do that?
At the bottom of the page, as is linked in the article, there is a 'Toggle Forum Layout' button.

ThePS1Fan

Dec 22, 2011
It's different for sure. I can't decide if I like it or not. I agree it needs a little more colour to it though.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Also, are the title, post count and join date supposed to be aligned to the left like that? Shouldn't they be centered to line-up with your avatar?

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
MelasZepheos said:
On a related note, why is it that now whenever I see the 'site changes' news topic I get ready to make my case, be ignored (because we all saw how many real changes were made the last time they did this), and spend another two to three months avoiding the Escapist until they make drastic changes to pull it halfway back to being decent?
Ignored? How so?

We made several changes both to the updated homepage and to the forum's look based on direct feedback from the audience. Perhaps your suggestions weren't implemented, but that's no reason to think that we aren't accepting any.

I'd like to address your complaints about the way the forum has changed, but they seem mostly to be a matter of taste. The most I can say for now is that we'll note your feelings about this matter and continue to keep it in mind as others provide their feedback.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
I love the new design, It's pwitty.
Also, 5 badges!!! I gotta get in on this.