Forza 7 versus Project Cars 2

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Hello you racing fans. As you might be aware this week has been incredible for fans of racing sim games. And I have spent hours and hours with both to bring you not really a review of these two games, but more of a comparison between the two products to help you guys get the game you'll be happier with. Okay maybe a review.

I'll start simply with the TL;DR. If you are hardcore into racing sim games, love using the wheel and pedal setup, want to be able to masterfully fine tune each and every car for each and every race, Project Cars 2 is your game. Forza 7 is a deep but ultimately more casual experience so if you are interested in just getting into a racing sim with ease, Forza is the way to go.

Now for the details which I will break up into sections.

Cars: Both games have more cars than you can ever possibly want or need. From supercars to go karts both games have massive collections of speedy monsters to sink your teeth into. Where Project Cars has Go-Kart racing of different degrees, Forza 7 has big rig truck racing, both race types are fun and funny for pretty much the same reason. It's a nice little touch to have here and a nice change of pace when you wanna step out of your Ferrari for a while. Frankly when it comes to car selection you really can't go wrong with either game here, although you may have a slight preference in one or the other, but don't let it be the deciding factor over which game to pick.

Tracks: Both games utilize real world tracks and the biggest feature really present on both games is showing off the weather systems. Project Cars will have you racing tracks in various weather conditions which change up how each track feels on a given weather scenario. Technically PC2 does use a "dynamic" system, but it never felt like it changed much for me. A snowy track felt the same regardless of snow actively falling during the race or not. Rain also felt the same way overall and it meant that the race didn't require any adaptation between laps. It's still cool, and the differences in weather from race to race on the same track will change how you approach that track, it just doesn't seem to change directly during a race.

Forza 7 I feel takes the edge here because of weather and time changes that take place during races. Your may start a race during a thunderstorm only to have that storm break up and those beautiful thin rays of sunshine light up your race after the fourth or fifth lap taking away the constant threat of hydroplaning, and replacing it with puddles on the track that become hazards. This system in Forza literally forces you to change how you race the track from lap to lap and it is really cool.

Customization: Here is where Project Cars 2 really takes it over the top. You can customize everything in PC2, from every aspect of your car (gear ratio, suspension, brake power, tires, aerodynamics, etc), to every aspect of the race (asists, # of laps, weather, AI difficulty, time of day, etc). The adjustments on the cars is so detailed that it is clear that it is meant for people who really know and love cars.

Forza 7 has all this as well, but to a lesser degree. You can't changed the number of laps on a race directly, instead you pick normal, long, or very long, race lengths. You can adjust your assists, and you can adjust your car but these adjustments seem lacking and the game does a good job of making it easy to tweak a car without ruining a car for people who may not be as understanding of how a suspension works. A serious racing sim fan would still be happy with what Forza offers, but compared to what they can get out of PC2, that kind of fan would definitely lean towards PC2.

Playability: Project Cars 2 loses here pretty hard. The main focus career mode feels cluttered with bad menu design making it harder to determine the career path you are choosing. As well as the game not really feeling directed. The career mode is basically a glorified "just race" kind of mode which I wasn't too keen on, but again serious sim fans wont care much about it anyway and that's what PC2 is targeting. Additionally, playing on a control is just awful here. Stirring on a stick requires so much adjusting as the default controls will force the car to oversteer at the slightest touch, not only that but you need to adjust your control again if there is weather on the track. It's cumbersome and more of a hassle that I think it is ultimately worth.

Forza 7 plays great both ways. Wheel or controller, the game just works and doesn't need controller adjusting (though you can do that if you want). Since I am not a super sim fan, I prefer a controller and this made Forza 7 much more enjoyable to play. Additionally the career mode is fantastic in that it just makes sense. You create a racing avatar, a driver that you can customize their gear and you will see this drive in your car at all times. The goal is to become the Forza Cup Champion and in order to do this you must win several championships along the way. I've always said that I loved the early Forza games because they start you in shitty cars and make you earn your way into supercar racing. Forza 7 returns to that and makes you race in pick-up trucks and hatch backs before moving into fast and faster cars. The only downside here is that they decided to add a collection element to the game, forcing you to buy and collect a certain number of cars in each "tier" before they let you buy higher tiered cars. I get why they did this, trying to encourage the player to try a number of different cars, but I don't feel like it was the complete right move as previous Forza games had category races that promoted this better. But I guess when there are over 700 cars in the game, they gotta get you to look at more than just your favorites right? It's not a deal breaker and is more of an odd choice rather than a hindering one.

All in all, both games are great. I personally prefer Forza 7 because I am not as knowledgeable about tweaking cars, plus I prefer playing on a controller which Forza just does a better job supporting. But like I said above, if a serious racing sim is what you are after, then Project Cars 2 is the way to go by far, as it provides a much better serious driving experience.

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
I don?t think I?ll pick up either anytime soon - finally getting into the first Project Cars and enjoying the depth of it, even when playing on a gamepad.

From what I?ve read, Forza appears as close to a Gran Turismo experience as we?re likely to get on PC anytime soon. No chance in hell that I?m paying full price on the Windows Store though, that?s what has put me off buying Horizons - $120AU for the full game with all the DLC.

Looking at the car lists, the Forza one seems way more varied and full. Haven?t directly compared them, but from a quick perusal Forza seems to trump PC2 quite easily in this regard.

Interesting to hear about the weather effects. I thought they were quite well done in PC1, would be a shame if they?ve taken a step back from that.

Good time to be alive for car sim fans either way!

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
distortedreality said:
I don?t think I?ll pick up either anytime soon - finally getting into the first Project Cars and enjoying the depth of it, even when playing on a gamepad.

From what I?ve read, Forza appears as close to a Gran Turismo experience as we?re likely to get on PC anytime soon. No chance in hell that I?m paying full price on the Windows Store though, that?s what has put me off buying Horizons - $120AU for the full game with all the DLC.

Looking at the car lists, the Forza one seems way more varied and full. Haven?t directly compared them, but from a quick perusal Forza seems to trump PC2 quite easily in this regard.

Interesting to hear about the weather effects. I thought they were quite well done in PC1, would be a shame if they?ve taken a step back from that.

And Gran Turismo comes out next week too. I wonder which one will end up being the most successful. GT will probably so well being the first GT game in a while if I remember correctly. I probably will skip GT as I've gotten my fill of racing for a while.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
CritialGaming said:
distortedreality said:

And Gran Turismo comes out next week too. I wonder which one will end up being the most successful. GT will probably so well being the first GT game in a while if I remember correctly. I probably will skip GT as I've gotten my fill of racing for a while.
It doesn't release until 10-17 but there will be a demo next week Monday. PS Plus members can pre-load it on the 7th. I've already pre-ordered the game but still have to get my new wheel.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I have been a Forza fan for quite some time so I'm not surprised this is a solid entry. The thing holding me up is the addition of loot boxes and credit gambling for said boxes driver mods rather than having credit increases tied to turning assists off. Can you speak to the effect this change has on the experience at all? I am seeing a lot of feedback saying the new system is pretty terrible and promotes either throwing credits at boxes or resorting to dramatically inflated grinding hours.

Buffoon1980

Mar 9, 2013
JUMBO PALACE said:
I have been a Forza fan for quite some time so I'm not surprised this is a solid entry. The thing holding me up is the addition of loot boxes and credit gambling for said boxes driver mods rather than having credit increases tied to turning assists off. Can you speak to the effect this change has on the experience at all? I am seeing a lot of feedback saying the new system is pretty terrible and promotes either throwing credits at boxes or resorting to dramatically inflated grinding hours.
Ignore that feedback. People just love to get outraged. In fact I think I'll make a more extensive post about this sometime soon, because the way this game has been treated is really, really irritating.

Anyway, the mods barely affect the experience at all, they essentially just give bonuses for random and almost entirely inconsequential 'challenges', like performing a couple of good corners or passes, or racing with certain assists off. All I do is regularly buy half a dozen or so of the cheaper mod boxes so I have a good stockpile, press the button to randomly equip them before a race, and forget about them. On average they increase credits won by 75-125%, and they always more than pay for themselves at the very least. If there's a criticism to be made, it's that they're *too* inconsequential.

As for dramatically inflated grinding hours... absolute nonsense. I've sunk a fair bit of time into the game, I've got over 150 cars in my garage now. The game basically throws credits, experience and cars at you just for playing the game, and if you actually enjoy the game, there's no issue. Yeah, it's gonna take a while to unlock every single car, but that's part of the fun, isn't it? And the fact is you really do have choices: buy a bunch of cheap cars, save for the expensive cars you really want, buy a lootbox for a random chance at something really nice.

Honestly, the only people who would spend real money for lootboxes are those who, perversely, want everything unlocked but don't want to actually play the damn game.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Buffoon1980 said:
Ignore that feedback. People just love to get outraged. In fact I think I'll make a more extensive post about this sometime soon, because the way this game has been treated is really, really irritating.

Anyway, the mods barely affect the experience at all, they essentially just give bonuses for random and almost entirely inconsequential 'challenges', like performing a couple of good corners or passes, or racing with certain assists off. All I do is regularly buy half a dozen or so of the cheaper mod boxes so I have a good stockpile, press the button to randomly equip them before a race, and forget about them. On average they increase credits won by 75-125%, and they always more than pay for themselves at the very least. If there's a criticism to be made, it's that they're *too* inconsequential.

As for dramatically inflated grinding hours... absolute nonsense. I've sunk a fair bit of time into the game, I've got over 150 cars in my garage now. The game basically throws credits, experience and cars at you just for playing the game, and if you actually enjoy the game, there's no issue. Yeah, it's gonna take a while to unlock every single car, but that's part of the fun, isn't it? And the fact is you really do have choices: buy a bunch of cheap cars, save for the expensive cars you really want, buy a lootbox for a random chance at something really nice.

Honestly, the only people who would spend real money for loot boxes are those who, perversely, want everything unlocked but don't want to actually play the damn game.
The only reason loot boxes exist is to make the publisher more money. That's literally it. A long time ago, we used to have cheat codes, but then they figured out they could just strip them out and put in microtransactions and DLC.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Buffoon1980 said:
JUMBO PALACE said:

Honestly, the only people who would spend real money for lootboxes are those who, perversely, want everything unlocked but don't want to actually play the damn game.
I dunno dude. I find the whole idea of having to buy these mods pretty scummy. Especially since they removed the credit bonuses for driving options. I have been leary of this behavior from Turn 10 ever since they changed how manufacturer affinity worked a few games ago. It used to give you discounts on parts when modifying that manufacturer's cars, even to the point where it became free. That was half the fun of the game, modifying the cars in dumb or ridiculous ways. Now 90% of my cars are stock because I'm saving for cars rather than having fun modding the ones I have.

Buffoon1980

Mar 9, 2013
Arnoxthe1 said:
The only reason loot boxes exist is to make the publisher more money. That's literally it. A long time ago, we used to have cheat codes, but then they figured out they could just strip them out and put in microtransactions and DLC.
The only reason *games* exist is to make the publisher more money. They don't do it as a public service, you know. In any case, unless Turn 10 drastically decrease the rate you can earn credits through gameplay or drastically increase the cost of cars and lootboxes, there will never be any need for anyone but the most impatient to ever spend real money in this game. And really, who cares about them?

JUMBO PALACE said:
I dunno dude. I find the whole idea of having to buy these mods pretty scummy. Especially since they removed the credit bonuses for driving options. I have been leary of this behavior from Turn 10 ever since they changed how manufacturer affinity worked a few games ago. It used to give you discounts on parts when modifying that manufacturer's cars, even to the point where it became free. That was half the fun of the game, modifying the cars in dumb or ridiculous ways. Now 90% of my cars are stock because I'm saving for cars rather than having fun modding the ones I have.
I don't see how having to buy them can be problematic, given that they are essentially guaranteed to earn you more money than they cost, and that their impact on the game is otherwise absolutely minimal. I'm not going to say it's a great or interesting system, but it's neutral at worst. It's not the travesty some people are making it out to be.

As for the other stuff, I can't comment intelligently as I haven't played other Forza games. Also, I haven't felt compelled to do even look at options for modifying cars in Forza 7, and this in itself might very well be considered an issue. I can't really say. I'm certainly not going to say Forza 7 is perfect or that it's going to be the best option for everyone, but I do think the game is copping a lot of ridiculous flak for undeserved reasons.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Buffoon1980 said:
The only reason *games* exist is to make the publisher more money.
Don't give me that anti-consumer shite. I know very well what business entails. But let me tell you how basic business works. If I find a product a company is selling desirable, I will do an exchange of money for goods. And there is nothing "good" about microtransactions from a customer standpoint. There are no advantages whatsoever to having them there. They're only there for the publisher. Microtransactions cheapen a game and rip the player out of the immersion the game is trying hard to achieve every time they are even so much as mentioned in the game, thus invalidating at least some of the developer's hard work in order to make a quick buck.

And we're not even going into how loot boxes are just disguised gambling which is regulated heavily by US laws. But I guess if they're in video games and they're sold to kids then it's A-OK.

Quite frankly, I, and a bunch of other people are tired of seeing it outside of F2P games. The only major AAA release that I've seen do microtransactions properly is Guild Wars 2. And mostly because the game EARNS the right to have them there. So if we don't wanna see them anymore, our only recourse is to simply tell the publisher we don't find this loot box and microtransaction bullshit amusing and to not buy their product until it's fixed.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Buffoon1980 said:
JUMBO PALACE said:
I don't see how having to buy them can be problematic, given that they are essentially guaranteed to earn you more money than they cost, and that their impact on the game is otherwise absolutely minimal. I'm not going to say it's a great or interesting system, but it's neutral at worst. It's not the travesty some people are making it out to be.

As for the other stuff, I can't comment intelligently as I haven't played other Forza games. Also, I haven't felt compelled to do even look at options for modifying cars in Forza 7, and this in itself might very well be considered an issue. I can't really say. I'm certainly not going to say Forza 7 is perfect or that it's going to be the best option for everyone, but I do think the game is copping a lot of ridiculous flak for undeserved reasons.
I would only see a real issue with the microtransactions if it *appears* the game has been tweaked to more grinding for earning cars that can otherwise be bypassed with real money. I stopped playing Gran Turismo coz of it. I think it was GT6, where you can spend upwards of $100 of real cash to buy a rare car in the game, like the Jaguar XJ220. Now this wasn't so but until I realized that GT5 had already become a massive grindfest. In some GT's prior, you could just redo the same rally races which gave you a nice expensive car as a prize, and sell it. That's one example, but anyway GT used to be much easier to move up the ladders. Now it's a grindfest in the interest of hoping you would spend real money. You can't even win the same prize car twice, thanks fuckers.

I'm just afraid of Forza 7 resorting to this, but you're right, Forza does throw credits at you just for playing it, and until now it's not that hard to earn enough money to buy and mod whatever car you want (unless it's a super rare Ferrari, or F1-tiered car).

In any case, I'm not going to rush out and buy it just yet, because other than dynamic weather, it doesn't look like there's that much new. I'm happy with the car selection in FM6, and the only track I was waiting for them to add (or re-add, in this case), was Fujimi Kaido from FM4. Which they haven't included. And I couldn't give less of a shit about dressing up my driver.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
I have a pretty bitter taste left by Project Cars, and really could not for the life of me understand the praise it got.

-The physics was horribly floaty, and so twitchy that it was nigh impossible to recover from the smallest mistakes. Reminded me a lot of NFS Shift (even worse than NFS Prostreet). What threw me off the most was the exaggerated FFB, which didn't translate to the cars floatiness at all.
-I restarted races dozens of times because of stupid AI, combined with floaty phsyics and being rammed off the track.
-The bugs in it made some of the best tracks undriveable, like the California coastal road, just invisible bumps which would be like slamming a brick wall, especially in a very low car.
-Tuning either made hardly any difference, or instantly ruined everything.
-The career mode is a jumbled mess, and impossible to just get to a few races that you want to do off the bat.
-The car selection is really race car based, this is personal opinion but I preferred Assetto Corsa's blend of cars, seemed more 'passionate tuner' and exotic based, and Forza's 'younger' car enthusiast demographic with all the Chevys, Nissans, and BMWs.

If anyone can tell me PC2 is any better in even half of those aspects, I'd give it a look. But from what I've seen so far, it seems more of the same. The only thing it has going for it is nice graphics and sound. But then again, this is all my personal experience.

Buffoon1980

Mar 9, 2013
JohnnyDelRay said:
I have a pretty bitter taste left by Project Cars, and really could not for the life of me understand the praise it got.

-The physics was horribly floaty, and so twitchy that it was nigh impossible to recover from the smallest mistakes. Reminded me a lot of NFS Shift (even worse than NFS Prostreet). What threw me off the most was the exaggerated FFB, which didn't translate to the cars floatiness at all.
-I restarted races dozens of times because of stupid AI, combined with floaty phsyics and being rammed off the track.
-The bugs in it made some of the best tracks undriveable, like the California coastal road, just invisible bumps which would be like slamming a brick wall, especially in a very low car.
-Tuning either made hardly any difference, or instantly ruined everything.
-The career mode is a jumbled mess, and impossible to just get to a few races that you want to do off the bat.
-The car selection is really race car based, this is personal opinion but I preferred Assetto Corsa's blend of cars, seemed more 'passionate tuner' and exotic based, and Forza's 'younger' car enthusiast demographic with all the Chevys, Nissans, and BMWs.

If anyone can tell me PC2 is any better in even half of those aspects, I'd give it a look. But from what I've seen so far, it seems more of the same. The only thing it has going for it is nice graphics and sound. But then again, this is all my personal experience.
Yeah, I thought Project Cars was pretty overrated too. Assetto Corsa was far superior in all the important ways, I thought. In fact, I still think AC is probably the best racing game around today objectively speaking. Personally I probably prefer Forza 7 because I'm more casual and because the vast range of cars to collect appeals to my OCD, but I'll continue playing AC for sure.
JohnnyDelRay said:
In any case, I'm not going to rush out and buy it just yet, because other than dynamic weather, it doesn't look like there's that much new. I'm happy with the car selection in FM6, and the only track I was waiting for them to add (or re-add, in this case), was Fujimi Kaido from FM4. Which they haven't included. And I couldn't give less of a shit about dressing up my driver.
That's totally valid, for sure. Dedicated Forza fans will have to decide if the 'upgrade' is worth it. Since I've never played the earlier ones, though, I'm pretty happy with F7.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Buffoon1980 said:
JohnnyDelRay said:
Yeah, I thought Project Cars was pretty overrated too. Assetto Corsa was far superior in all the important ways, I thought. In fact, I still think AC is probably the best racing game around today objectively speaking. Personally I probably prefer Forza 7 because I'm more casual and because the vast range of cars to collect appeals to my OCD, but I'll continue playing AC for sure.
JohnnyDelRay said:
That's totally valid, for sure. Dedicated Forza fans will have to decide if the 'upgrade' is worth it. Since I've never played the earlier ones, though, I'm pretty happy with F7.
Assetto Corsa is a brilliantly made game. A little scant on content and career mode, it functions best (for me) for running hot laps, drifting and touge runs. Beauty about it, is that since it's done so well, a lot of the content is provided by the community (in terms of tracks and cars, and handful of mods anyway). A bit like Live For Speed. So that gives it a lot of life.

If you haven't played the previous Forzas, then FM7 looks like a good place to jump in. It looks so similar to FM6, but thankfully FM6 was a step in the right direction (besides losing a couple of their best tracks). FM5 wasn't that great apparently, but I skipped it due to not have a decent wheel setup for my XBOX 360, and then switching to PC for the most part.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
JohnnyDelRay said:
Buffoon1980 said:
JUMBO PALACE said:

I would only see a real issue with the microtransactions if it *appears* the game has been tweaked to more grinding for earning cars that can otherwise be bypassed with real money. I stopped playing Gran Turismo coz of it. I think it was GT6, where you can spend upwards of $100 of real cash to buy a rare car in the game, like the Jaguar XJ220. Now this wasn't so but until I realized that GT5 had already become a massive grindfest. In some GT's prior, you could just redo the same rally races which gave you a nice expensive car as a prize, and sell it. That's one example, but anyway GT used to be much easier to move up the ladders. Now it's a grindfest in the interest of hoping you would spend real money. You can't even win the same prize car twice, thanks fuckers.

I'm just afraid of Forza 7 resorting to this, but you're right, Forza does throw credits at you just for playing it, and until now it's not that hard to earn enough money to buy and mod whatever car you want (unless it's a super rare Ferrari, or F1-tiered car).

Due to unpopular demand, microtransactions won?t be in GTS. [http://m.ign.com/articles/2017/08/10/gran-turismo-sport-wont-include-microtransactions]

Dastardly that they?d ever even attempted it in this series, but hopefully they leaned consumers don?t appreciate being toyed with like that.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
JUMBO PALACE said:
The loot crates are a non-factor. They are bought with credits earned in game and there is no microtransactions in the game thus far that I have ever seen. Loot crates are basically used for getting mods (which change up the rule of any given race for higher rewards), and cosmetics for your driver. You can also gamble on crate to win random cars or different power levels, so you can use them as an alternate option instead of buying random cars you might not car about.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Arnoxthe1 said:
I've got 15 hours into Forza 7 and I have seen no microtransactions with the loot crates or anywhere else. Loot crates are bought with in game credits that you earn from racing.