Forza Motorsport 5 Dev Calls Microtransactions Not a "Paywall"

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
"You see? We didn't put in a pay wall. We put in shortcuts to get around all the horrible grinding we put in to drive you towards the pay wall! Wait, that didn't sound right."

And you wonder why people get mad?

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Draconalis said:
roseofbattle said:
and the tokens in Forza 5 exist to give people "cheats" if they want to pay for them.
Remember when cheats were free?
anad i got ninjad :(
Cheats are supposed to be free and readily available, not hidden behind paywalls.

Game content should never be locked behind a paywall. There is no buts or ors, never.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
He adds "the grind was not designed to be arduous," but he admits the company made some incorrect assumptions about what players wanted in a "next-gen experience."
WTF is with MS and them touting the "experience?" I can't find the articles, but in recent months (around the time of the 180), just about every other plug for the xbone harped its "Experience." I thought they had let go of that particular buzzword, instead replacing it with "Titanfall."

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
BrotherRool said:
If this microtransaction thing wasn't Microsoft mandated, isn't it funny how every single Microsoft game for the Xbox One has microtransactions? Whereas that's not true either generally or with the direct competing consoles
idarkphoenixi said:
It's funny how these radical and unpopular changes are never the fault of the corporate overlords.

Ryse just happens to have microtransactions as well but that's totally the devs decision...
Exactly what I was thinking. It's funny that Xbox One games all seem to have microtransactions in them. But those are the only games that seem to have that sort of thing. But that couldn't be something that they were told to do by Microsoft. Obviously, each studio and development team came up with those ideas independently of one another. That's just simple logic.

WildFire15

Jun 18, 2008
Whatever happened to the concept of DLC and Micro transactions being nice additions rather then requirements. From everything I've heard of Forza 5 so far, it's straddling the line between 'required' and 'nice addition' very awkwardly, which is probably the most dangerous kind.

Mass Effect 2 and City of Heroes are the first games that spring to mind that did 'nice addition' well, with the extra missions in ME2 not required but filling in a lot of details between ME2 and ME3 while City of Heroes had plenty of content and character options even before paying extra.

Forgot who mentioned it, but I agree Forza would benefit from paid for content in previous games being transferred to the next game, either for free or for a small price. Forcing you to buy the same content for each new release is insulting.

Clovus

Mar 3, 2011
An Ceannaire said:
Draconalis said:
roseofbattle said:
and the tokens in Forza 5 exist to give people "cheats" if they want to pay for them.
Remember when cheats were free?
This seems to be the thing that developers forget when they condescendingly try to explain to us why Microtransactions are not a bad thing.
I remember when this issue popped up for Dead Space 3. Sure, the developers made this argument, but I was surprised by how gamers in various forum kept making it. "Look, everyone is not as elite a gamer as you, so they're just giving people an option to skip through the hard stuff, or make the game easier." I kept replying over and over again that I had no problem with people cheating or changing difficulty levels, but why did they have to pay for this privilage now?

At least on PC you can usually mod around this stuff easily.