Fossilized Radscorpian Tracks Found in Scotland

allnorweiganwood

Dec 1, 2009
Its too bad those things weren't around when humans were on the up and up. Because you KNOW there'd be that one dude who wrangled the stupid bug and rode that crap into battles. Thats what humans do; if its big enough, we HAVE to try and ride it. We feel compelled to find something to do the walking for us.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
This discovery is especially exciting to scientists as it was previously thought that Hibbertopterus spent most of its time in water, rather than walking around for prolonged periods.
...There are giant scorpions that swim??

*shivers* That is the scariest thing I've ever heard. Especially what with all those things down in the deep that we still haven't found but have ages that date back to when giant reptiles ruled the land...but were afraid of the water

LazerFX

Driver
Sep 10, 2008
Given that this fossil has been known about since (at least) 2005, I'm wondering exactly what the fuss is and why it's being mentioned in news sources now?

For reference - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hibbertopteroid_track.jpg - note the date on the picture?

lewism247

Aug 1, 2009
cousinletsgobowling said:
lewism247 said:
Logan Westbrook said:

The fossilized tracks of a giant prehistoric scorpion have been discovered in the UK.

Scientists have found the fossilized tracks of a giant scorpion-like creature called Hibbertopterus in the sandstone of Fife, Scotland. The tracks were discovered by Dr Martin Whyte from the University of Sheffield while he was out walking.

If you were to meet the Hibbertopterus, you'd probably run the other way as quickly as you could, as it was over six feet long and more than three feet wide, basically about the same size of a giant radscorpian in the Fallout games.

"Removing it and housing it in a museum would be prohibitively costly," said Richard Batchelor from Geoheritage Fife. "But molding it in silicone rubber and making copies for educational and research purposes means that we can still see and research this huge creature's tracks in years to come."

This discovery is especially exciting to scientists as it was previously thought that Hibbertopterus spent most of its time in water, rather than walking around for prolonged periods.

Source: Telegraph [http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/7613128/Gigantic-scorpion-fossil-found-in-Fife.html]

HOLY CRAP!

I'm from Fife :D

and that's pretty cool, I remember it being on a documentary thing a while ago about the evolution of humans.
im not ffrom fife but im close.clackmannenshire!
Scottish high five!

i'm from the lang toon (Only Scots will know where that is)

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Jonny49 said:
Giant scorpion eh?

*Continues to build time machine*
You let me in on that, I let you in on my power-armour and plasma rifle projects. You don't want to go up against one unarmed.

Strategia

za Rodina, tovarishchii
Mar 21, 2008
Yeah, all the truly amazingly awesome creatures are long gone. Blame the seaweed that started the cycle of ice ages. Because, fifty million years ago, the Arctic..... ah screw it, too long a story.

Regardless, that is awesome.

allnorweiganwood said:
Its too bad those things weren't around when humans were on the up and up. Because you KNOW there'd be that one dude who wrangled the stupid bug and rode that crap into battles. Thats what humans do; if its big enough, we HAVE to try and ride it. We feel compelled to find something to do the walking for us.
Screw riding, I wanna see a Scotsman in a kilt and a claymore charging one of these things screaming like a primeval hooligan.

Mr.Gompers

Dec 27, 2009
Megacherv said:
Jonny49 said:
Giant scorpion eh?

*Continues to build time machine*
You let me in on that, I let you in on my power-armour and plasma rifle projects. You don't want to go up against one unarmed.
Or else you might end up "unarmed!"

Sorry, but you set me up for that one. How was I supposed to resist?

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
If these things existed today, think about the weaponry that could have been invented to prevent these things. Then again, I'm sure they wouldn't come out that often.

lewism247

Aug 1, 2009
lewism247 said:
lewism247 said:
Logan Westbrook said:

The fossilized tracks of a giant prehistoric scorpion have been discovered in the UK.

Scientists have found the fossilized tracks of a giant scorpion-like creature called Hibbertopterus in the sandstone of Fife, Scotland. The tracks were discovered by Dr Martin Whyte from the University of Sheffield while he was out walking.

If you were to meet the Hibbertopterus, you'd probably run the other way as quickly as you could, as it was over six feet long and more than three feet wide, basically about the same size of a giant radscorpian in the Fallout games.

"Removing it and housing it in a museum would be prohibitively costly," said Richard Batchelor from Geoheritage Fife. "But molding it in silicone rubber and making copies for educational and research purposes means that we can still see and research this huge creature's tracks in years to come."

Source: Telegraph [http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/7613128/Gigantic-scorpion-fossil-found-in-Fife.html]

HOLY CRAP!

I'm from Fife :D

and that's pretty cool, I remember it being on a documentary thing a while ago about the evolution of humans.
im not ffrom fife but im close.clackmannenshire!
Scottish high five!

i'm from the lang toon (Only Scots will know where that is)
a dinny :L
Okay only certain Scots :p

primitivescrewhead

Dec 16, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Giant Radscorpions - the most terrifying creature in a game.

I've had nightmares about them...

...and now I find out they're REAL.

:(

[img height= 300 width=350]http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/fallout/images/d/d1/Radscorpion_FO3.png[/img]
They have nothing on the Albino ones, now those are the things of nightmares.

Johnny Cain

Apr 18, 2010
One of the many reasons someone needs to get one of those time-travel contraptions working!

We must study these giant... 'Scorpians' up close. By riding them!