Fox News Host Wants to Monitor Your Gaming Habits

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
wetfart said:
Or the fact that the shooter was on SSRIs, which have linked with other shootings in the past. Clearly the mind altering chemicals had nothing to do with this.
Of course the SSRIs had nothing to do with it. They are friendly, happy chemicals produced by giant healthcare corporations who want nothing but sunshine and butterflies for all. You sounds suspiciously like someone who doesn't trust corporate healthcare! Please report to your local reeducation centre for evaluation.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
He has some kind of paranoia-inducing PTSD and they think videogames are the problem.

Ridiculous.

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
love how news networks focus on videogame aspect and ignore the fact that the guy was mentally ill, and committed gun crimes prior to the shooting... i say with such heavy sarcasm that it can not be cut through... morons..

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
You know what, I'm totally for this suggestion. The metrics that the government will pull on purchasers of games will show that A LOT of them will go to conventions like PAX, but it's the ones that only buy a few games, or none at all, that you have to watch for the next shooting.

not_you

Don't ask, or you won't know
Mar 16, 2011
yay! blame the games!

That being said talking to his friend, and having him say "yeah, we had to literally feed him because he wouldn't stop playing" makes everyone think that it's the games fault...
Not the fact that the guy couldn't physically stop himself...

Seriously, get these people a psychiatrist...
And I'm going to quote myself from a comment I made (x) days ago on a thread like this...

"Of course, a decent punishment system for these kinds of attacks would be more ideal... What the world needs is a videogame court... If you use the excuse "video games made me do it" in court or whatever then you get sent to a country without TV or games of any kind for three years... THEN see who's fault it is..."

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
So video games corrupt the mind and we should monitor video game purchases because we can track down criminals or something?

So, um... what about video games that DON'T involve guns? Or don't involve actively shooting guns? Should we be concerned that FF13 sales indicate people might try to invent gunblades? Should we be concerned that Mass Effect sales indicate people might want to have sex with blue aliens? Should we be concerned that Dynasty Warriors 8 sales indicate people might want to try and take on 1000+ people with an oversized sword?

Razzigyrl

Mar 22, 2011
So the issue isn't the lack of good psychological health care access, or the prevalence of psych pharmaceuticals over therapy which requires the patient and the doc to interact in a way that helps to deal with issues, or hey, even the fondness for throwing psych meds when there might be an underlying physiological issue like thyroid disorders because it's easier (and thus cheaper) than repeated testing and fine-tuning dosages of those meds.

How convenient.

So if I went to the local big box store and started walloping strangers with a specially reinforced butterfly net, I can just blame it on my addiction to Animal Crossing.

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
Come on now Escapist.. Since when is a bullshit comment in passing at a fox news show something to report on?
Obvious click bait is obvious. And screw you for tricking me.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
DrOswald said:
How and why the AR was not sold isn't important to my point.
Only if you don't hold yourself to the same standards you have applied to others. In which case, it's not worth making the point in the first place. One minute you're all "if we aren't honest about all the details, then we're just as bad as Fox News" and the next "that's detrimental to my point so ignore it."

You omitted part of the context you were trying to add, which comes off as completely dishonest.
Omitting irrelevant details for the sake of clarity and brevity =/= Ignoring/Lying about highly relevant information to support a preconceived bias.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
Argh! The stupidity of these Fox News idiots is pissing me off!
I think that's their plan.
They're just stirring the shit pot to artificially drum up their "relevance" to the massacres.
No matter how stupid, inane or even hypocritical it is for them to do so.

KiKiweaky

Aug 29, 2008
Right well anything anyone on Fox news says I generally ignore as a rule, such a foolish news channel how they justify their existence is beyond me :|

I had an interesting discussion with a friend who is in the process of doing a phd in psychology (I haven't done nor do i claim to have done anything in the field btw, just a fan of games defending them from people who don't play video games but like to use them as a scapegoat for far more serious problems with society). We were just after watching Kick Ass 2 and got onto the topic of violent media causing violence in society.

I of course called bullshit on this as I'm a big fan of games and movies and have been watching/playing them since I was about 14, she was inclined to lean toward the side that they might be a cause of violence. She even used an experiment as an example. In the experiment a child is left in a room with a teddy, they might play with it, talk to it whatever. After a while an adult walks into the room and starts hitting the teddy and more often than not according to my friend the child will begin to hit the teddy after the adult has left the room.

So my response then was fair enough but if your leaving a child that young watch or play 18+ rated movies or games your doing some pretty shitty parenting. Then I told her about the video that Jim sterling did to illustrate the difference between real and make believe violence, the one where a guy pulls out a gun and commits suicide on live television was pretty horrific and I was genuinely shocked when I saw it. It almost made me wish I had a smartphone so I could have shown her on the spot.

Splitzi

Apr 29, 2012
Ahh yes, maybe FOX has a point. Maybe we should stop bundling firearms and live ammo into video games. Oh... we don't do that. Hmm, what else can we blame for this? It's a shame this happened a week before GTA 5. [/sarcasm}

Captcha: Ready When You Need It... don't encourage me Escapist