Fox Prolonging Running Wilde's Death Knell

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Fox Prolonging Running Wilde's Death Knell

The post-Arrested Development vehicle for actor Will Arnett is assuredly going to be cancelled, but Fox refuses to pull the plug.

Fox's Running Wilde just returned from a two week preemption on Tuesday, but the network has just announced that the show will be on hold through the end of November. According to Deadline [http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/], the show "averaged a 1.3 rating among 18-49 to finish a distant last among all programs on the Big 4 networks on Tuesday, remains the last new fall series whose fate has not been decided though its chances for renewal appear very slim." In other words, it's fairly certain that the show will not be returning next fall, but Fox seems reluctant to say so.

The show reunited Arrested Development stars Will Arnett and David Cross with AD's creator, Mitch Hurwitz. Running Wilde shares some of its predecessor's comedic style, but failed to cultivate the same devoted fan base. Arrested Development faced cancellation numerous times, but was ultimately able to run of Fox for three seasons before being shown the door.

Fox is reportedly looking to replace Running Wilde mid-season with Breaking In, a comedy starring Christian Slater set in a digital security firm. For the time being, Fox will be airing reruns of Raising Hope, a comedy that, like Running Wilde, premiered this fall. Ouch.

Source: Deadline [http://www.deadline.com/2010/11/running-wilde-benched-for-2-more-weeks/]

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Never watched it, but that's still a shame.

Raising Hope is good though, despite the awful name.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
oh come on... If firefly got booted off the air after only one season after amazing ratings, despite Fox airing the episodes in ALL the wrong order, then this show is surely doomed. They should just yank it already

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
You'll get no sympathy from me after the American public did not flock to Sit Down Shut Up in droves just to screw with Fox's scheduling, such an obvious space-filler it was.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I liked the show, actually.

It would not attract me to getting in front of a boob-tube at a scheduled time, though, unlike Fringe or the Walking Dead.

Which I would gladly run out of my own surgery to make sure I didn't miss.

Feb 13, 2008
I believe this is appropriate
Peter: Everybody I've got bad news. We've been cancelled.
Lois: Oh no Peter! How could they do that?
Peter: Well unfortuantely Lois, there's just no more room on the schedule. We just gotta accept the fact that FOX has to make room for terrific shows like Dark Angel, Titus, Undeclared, Action, That 80's Show, Wonder Falls, Fast Lane, Andy Richter Controls The Universe, Skin, Girl's Club, Cracking Up, The Pitts, Firefly, Get Real, Freaky Links, Wanda At Large, Costello, The Lone Gunman, A Minute with Stan Hooper, Normal Ohio, Pasadena, Harsh Realm, Keen Eddy, The Street, American Embassy, Cedric The Entertainer, The Tick, Louie, And Greg The Bunny....
Lois: Is there no hope?
Peter: Well I suppose if ALL those shows go down the tubes we might have a shot.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Peter: Well unfortuantely Lois, there's just no more room on the schedule. We just gotta accept the fact that FOX has to make room for terrific shows like Dark Angel, Titus, Undeclared, Action, That 80's Show, Wonder Falls, Fast Lane, Andy Richter Controls The Universe, Skin, Girl's Club, Cracking Up, The Pitts, Firefly, Get Real, Freaky Links, Wanda At Large, Costello, The Lone Gunman, A Minute with Stan Hooper, Normal Ohio, Pasadena, Harsh Realm, Keen Eddy, The Street, American Embassy, Cedric The Entertainer, The Tick, Louie, And Greg The Bunny....
Peter: Well I suppose if ALL those shows go down the tubes we might have a shot.
I was about to mention the absurdity of Fox giving a show with poor ratings a chance, but you've sort of beat me to it. :p

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Sadly, many of those shows were far better then Family Guy, and that's saying something.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Damn, this was on my list of 'things to check out', purely because it's the first US showing for Peter Serafinowicz, who's a damned legend.

Of course his self named UK show only got one damn series too, which was a robbery.

Here's him riffing on Apple:

and on Terry Wogan, a bit exclusive to us brits, but he does the best Wogan in the world:

(I normally find stoner humour gets old real fast, but this one kills me)

and lastly, for those who don't recognise Wogan, he's done one of those '50 impressions in 2 minutes' youtube videos that everyone was doing for a while...

I think he deserves a bit of a break over there as British TV doesn't seem to be appreciating him.

JayDub147

Jun 13, 2009
Win for mentioning Keen Eddie. God, I miss that show. Oh well, at least I've got Human Target to get my fix of Mark Valley (and Jackie Earle Haley to boot).

Shame about the new show. I loved Arrested Development, and I can't wait for the movie, but I haven't heard great thing about Hurwitz's other shows.

EDIT: woops; wrong quote

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
This show is fantastic. I dread the day when someone comes up to me and asks me if I watch it, years after it has been canceled. "Hey do you watch Arrested Development?" "Well, I WATCHED it." The same thing happened with Family Guy. I saw every episode of the first three seasons and then after it was canceled, I had to hear about how great it was and that I should watch it. Then they brought it back and it is horrible and I still have to listen to people talk about how great it is and how much better it is than The Simpsons (it's so not), even though they only watch the reruns. Complain all you want, new Simpsons SLAYS new Family Guy.

bob-2000

Jun 28, 2009
Why couldn't they have shown such devotion to a show that actually deserved it, like, say FIREFLY!!!

not to say that Running Wilde is a bad show, of course.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
bob-2000 said:
Why couldn't they have shown such devotion to a show that actually deserved it, like, say FIREFLY!!!
That would imply they have the slightest notion of what passes for actual entertainment. Fox's thing is that they dump quality and stick with the crap.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
NOOOOOO0oOOOO!

I've never seen or herd of this show until right now, but those ratings are at least double what Stargate Universe is getting which is on at the same timeslot. I know SyFy isn't one of the major networks and that Fox is historically very trigger happy when it comes to cancelling shows, but I'm filled wot a growing sense of dread.

Did anyone see "The Greater Good" this week? That was one of the best done episodes to date. I really want it to stay.

13lackfriday

Feb 10, 2009
Poor Christian Slater.

Every show he touches dies, no matter how tight the plot is and solid his acting.

They should just bring back My Own Worst Enemy, and run it for all the seasons Fox's cheated him out of.

That was a great fucking show: interesting premise, tightly scripted espionage/action sequences, and a great acting cast.

I lost faith in good shows making the Fox cut when that show died.