Fox Says Wolverine 3 Will Have an R-Rating

JaredJones

New member
Jun 8, 2015
452
0
0
Fox Says Wolverine 3 Will Have an R-Rating

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1278/1278667.png

The effects of Deadpool's success are already starting to trickle down.

From the moment it was revealed that Deadpool had shattered damn near every record for an R-rated movie ever (and a couple Marvel records as well), you just knew that studios left and right would be attempting to hop on the trend as quickly as possible. In fact, Guardians of the Galaxy director James Gunn saw as much coming, and implored these very executives to not take the wrong lesson away from Deadpool's success in a strongly worded Facebook post [https://www.facebook.com/jgunn].

"For the theatrical experience to survive, spectacle films need to expand their definition of what they can be. They need to be unique and true voices of the filmmakers behind them," he wrote.

"They can't just be copying what came before them. So, over the next few months, if you pay attention to the trades, you'll see Hollywood misunderstanding the lesson they should be learning with Deadpool. They'll be green lighting films "like Deadpool" - but, by that, they won't mean "good and original" but "a raunchy superhero film" or "it breaks the fourth wall." They'll treat you like you're stupid, which is the one thing Deadpool didn't do."

And while we're sure that the upcoming Wolverine 3 won't be indulging in any of the raunchier elements of Deadpool, it looks like it will be going after that suddenly-coveted R rating.

The rumors about Wolverine 3's rating first popped up at this year's Toy Fair, where pamphlets were being handed out that suggested the movie would be seeking an R-rating. You can check out a photo of sad pamphlet over at ComicBook.com [http://comicbook.com/2016/02/16/wolverine-3-targeting-r-rating/].

Of course, with Wolverine 3 having yet to even begin filming, it's safe to say that this will not be the final verdict, though Hugh Jackman himself has stated his desire to make an R-rated Wolverine movie in the past.

By the way, they were open to that idea because if you're ever going to make a real character R-rated, Wolverine's the one. But to hear him tell it at the time, he eventually decided not to exclude the character's younger fans. "And I just said, 'In the end, actually, everything we wanted to do with an R-rated version, we are doing in terms of who the character is,"

Time will tell if Fox actually has the balls to go through with their promises, but my guess is that they will given the success of Deadpool (and the sure success of [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/166430-Deadpool-Movie-Getting-Sequel]). For now, we'll just have to wait.

Wolverine 3 is scheduled to hit theaters in March 3rd, 2017.

Related: Ryan Reynolds Interviews Hugh Jackman, Takes Shots at X-Men: Origins


Source: ComicBook.com [http://comicbook.com/2016/02/16/wolverine-3-targeting-r-rating/]

Permalink
 

RJ Dalton

New member
Aug 13, 2009
2,285
0
0
*sigh*
Yet another example of Hollywood completely missing the point. It's not the rating, it's how appropriate the tone is for the material and the concept. Ratings don't guarantee success.

And Wolverine is NOT a character who can carry his own movie. He's not interesting as a main character. He works best as a part of the supporting cast.
 

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
16,755
0
0
One the one hand, Wolverine could work as an R rated film.

On the other hand, I dread to think that studios won't realize that not all movies need to be R rated. Fantastic Four 2 will have an R rating. Man of Steel 2 will now have an R rating. Ant-Man 2 will now have an R rating. I really hope that doesn't happen.

Also, we need more Ryan Reynolds interviews.
 

Dalrien

New member
Jun 14, 2014
79
0
0
I'm a big fan of Ryan Reynolds as a professional interviewer. He doesn't ask what the audience wants to know, but what they deserve to know.

Either way, James Gun. Prophet?
 

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
1,698
0
0
Whatever breaks the chain of PG-13 that has plagued Hollywood movies in the past decade. If this spreads to movies outside the sphere of superheroics, even better.
 

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
4,931
0
0
RJ Dalton said:
And Wolverine is NOT a character who can carry his own movie. He's not interesting as a main character. He works best as a part of the supporting cast.
I disagree, there are plenty of stories that could work with him as the solo lead that works. Ironically enough the unwillingness to make the previous two attempts an R rated movie is what has been holding things back form that happening due to said stories he could pull off having material that just couldn't work with a PG13 movie.

If anything this is the first chance we get at a good Wolverine movie.
 

Shoggoth2588

New member
Aug 31, 2009
10,250
0
0
OK but will he finally be wearing his familiar costume? Yellow and Blue, Yellow and Orange...C'mon Fox, you guys seem to be the only people who haven't embraced comic-accurate costuming until Deadpool. Anyway, here's to hoping Wolverine 3 will turn out to be a good film. I'm not as familiar with Wolverine stories as I am with other characters but hopefully they don't do the weird "he was the first ever human" thing from...can't remember which comic exactly...
 

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
16,755
0
0
Shoggoth2588 said:
OK but will he finally be wearing his familiar costume? Yellow and Blue, Yellow and Orange...C'mon Fox, you guys seem to be the only people who haven't embraced comic-accurate costuming until Deadpool. Anyway, here's to hoping Wolverine 3 will turn out to be a good film. I'm not as familiar with Wolverine stories as I am with other characters but hopefully they don't do the weird "he was the first ever human" thing from...can't remember which comic exactly...
I think that might be from the Marville comic. Which, I seriously doubt is considered canon. I'm pretty sure he is actually only about 200 years old. Yeah, I know that is not young, but he certainly isn't thousands/millions of years old.
 

Aiddon_v1legacy

New member
Nov 19, 2009
3,672
0
0
Though, as some other people noted, those pamphlets were printed in advance of Deadpool shattering expectations so it's possible that the rating was decided before Deadpool. However, Deadpool has given Fox a strong reason to branch out the X-Men film brand into R-rated affair like X-Force and not be limited to the big epics like the main line. An R-rating for Wolverine fits luckily so it doesn't seem like following a trend.

As for the rest, I see Deadpool possibly giving other studios reason to consider R-rated comic adaptations. There's really no fear of them going whole-hog into it thought as there's too much money in the PG-13 rating and most of the big name superheroes like the Avengers, Spider-Man, Thor, etc don't fit into an R rating. No, what it can do is have the smaller, more mature stuff that can range from raunchy humor to grimmer themes co-exist alongside the PG-13 blockbusters. What I actually fear is the upcoming Suicide Squad film flopping and giving execs an excuse to not pursue mature-themed comic adaptations as Hollywood has a short memory.
 

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
2,419
0
0
Saltyk said:
One the one hand, Wolverine could work as an R rated film.
Indeed. They got pretty close to the R-rating line in the last X-Men movie (mmm... Jackman ass...) and a Wolverine solo film kind of naturally leans towards a R-rating in the same way a Punisher Judge Dredd movie does. Something about how he tends to leave a surprisingly large body count with his whole "knives sticking out of his hands" thing...
On the other hand, I dread to think that studios won't realize that not all movies need to be R rated. Fantastic Four 2 will have an R rating. Man of Steel 2 will now have an R rating. Ant-Man 2 will now have an R rating. I really hope that doesn't happen.
I don't think that will happen. Despite the decent box office for Deadpool, it still is dwarfed by the opening weekends for most of those other movies. What it will most likely mean is that certain solo films on smaller budgets can be given more flexibility with content then before. After that, I'm more concerned about who they will put on as directors.
 

Shoggoth2588

New member
Aug 31, 2009
10,250
0
0
Saltyk said:
Shoggoth2588 said:
OK but will he finally be wearing his familiar costume? Yellow and Blue, Yellow and Orange...C'mon Fox, you guys seem to be the only people who haven't embraced comic-accurate costuming until Deadpool. Anyway, here's to hoping Wolverine 3 will turn out to be a good film. I'm not as familiar with Wolverine stories as I am with other characters but hopefully they don't do the weird "he was the first ever human" thing from...can't remember which comic exactly...
I think that might be from the Marville comic. Which, I seriously doubt is considered canon. I'm pretty sure he is actually only about 200 years old. Yeah, I know that is not young, but he certainly isn't thousands/millions of years old.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it WAS Marville. My brain did a nice job repressing that one!
 

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
24,760
0
0
RJ Dalton said:
*sigh*
Yet another example of Hollywood completely missing the point.
By printing up flyers that almost certainly predate news of success. I mean, I'm sure technically they could have opted for this decision, and just gone to significant expense to create flyers specifically targeting an R-Rating afterwards, but...to what end? Why rush this specifically for Toy Fair?

Also, I find Wolverine incredibly boring, but people willwatch anyway.

Dalrien said:
I'm a big fan of Ryan Reynolds as a professional interviewer. He doesn't ask what the audience wants to know, but what they deserve to know.

Either way, James Gun. Prophet?
I'm not sure stating an obvious thing that people have been rattling on about for ages makes you a prophet.

Especially for a Wolverine movie being rated R. Wolverine's a fit. Let's wait until Ant-Man 2 is rated R or something. Or we hear the line "I am motherfucking Groot!"
 

RealRT

New member
Feb 28, 2014
1,058
0
0
Wolverine and R rating? Yeah, please, do that. The guy has knives sticking out of his hands, he might as well visibly would somebody with them.
 

ffs-dontcare

New member
Aug 13, 2009
701
0
0
I hope that Wolverine 3 does take place in the new timeline. I'd like to see some development on his part there.

I mean, I assume that it would, but it's too early to tell at the moment.
 

008Zulu_v1legacy

New member
Sep 6, 2009
6,019
0
0
If the movie has any kind of realistic depiction of violence (gun, sword) it usually gets a high rating (people do bleed when shot or stabbed, don't know why the ratings board wants to suppress this fact). An R rated Wolverine movie would be good if they let the character do half the stuff he has done on comics.
 

the.chad

New member
Nov 22, 2010
122
0
0
If anything, I would think Wolverine would be the perfect example for a movie that needs an R rating.

Guy basically has katanas coming out of his hand and the worst I can think he has ever done with them was stabbing someone in the foot in X2.

Not saying I need a movie that needs full body dismemberment... but if they wanted to go the route of a Kill Bill grizzly fight scene... I could totally see Wolverine going full berserker and taking no prisoners!
 

Dalrien

New member
Jun 14, 2014
79
0
0
Something Amyss said:
RJ Dalton said:
*sigh*


Dalrien said:
I'm a big fan of Ryan Reynolds as a professional interviewer. He doesn't ask what the audience wants to know, but what they deserve to know.

Either way, James Gun. Prophet?
I'm not sure stating an obvious thing that people have been rattling on about for ages makes you a prophet.

Especially for a Wolverine movie being rated R. Wolverine's a fit. Let's wait until Ant-Man 2 is rated R or something. Or we hear the line "I am motherfucking Groot!"
Pardon my purposely exaggerated comment. I will never do humour again.
 

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
3,258
0
0
While I didn't like either of the first two Wolverine films (first is bad, second is OK but dull), I can only see an R rating as a good thing for the character. He's got freaking claws and it always looks silly to see him inhibited by the PG-13 rating.