Foxes, Mans new best friend?

Zef Otter

Nov 28, 2007
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/03/taming-wild-animals/ratliff-text

It's interesting really, Finding genes that aids in being people friendly and breeding them for that gene since 1960's. This exsperament is a way to find out how it was done with the wolf that turned into a dog after thousands of years of breeding. These foxes shown characteristics of domestication in the 9th generation. Having floppy ears when young for a longer time then the wild foxes and a shorter tail.

But yah, read it :). The photo's makes me want one.

Nikki_Viper

Nov 30, 2010
I can just see my future land lord

Land lord: So do you have any animals?
Me: Why yes! Yes I do, he's adorable and very friendly
Land lord: Dog? Cat? Bird? Ferret?
Me: Domesticated Siberian Fox :D

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
I saw this on TV a while ago-the latest generation of domesticated foxes look almost identical to dogs.

Personally I prefer the other side to their experiment (running at the same time) where they bred the foxes to be vicious and feral. Those things haunt my nightmares.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Scorched_Cascade said:
I saw this on TV a while ago-the latest generation of domesticated foxes look almost identical to dogs.

Personally I prefer the other side to their experiment (running at the same time) where they bred the foxes to be vicious and feral. Those things haunt my nightmares.
Bah...if you encounter one while crawling the DC Metro, just pop up VATS and empty a 10mm SMG clip into it.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
FOXES CAN USE GUNS!!! QUICK, RUN, RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!! [http://cheezpictureisunrelated.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/fc31b339-8468-4227-a70f-d8f7fbfd0a21.jpg]

But that's pretty cool. ..And I sorta want a fox that can sit down and watch TV with me. <<

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Nevermind the foxes, the bit I found most interesting is the belief that cats domesticated themselves. Which would explain why strays adapt and go feral (and sometimes back again) so easily.

Tame foxes, that would be cute, I wonder if a Fox stinks as bad when tame as it does when wild? Environment vs breed and so on. Although I'm not sure why you need to tame them as such, I know of a few house foxes and one wolf in Scotland who's 'taming' involved being litter runts and living with humans. Not exactly scientific...

SwitchUK said:
DO A BARREL ROLL!
Negative, try a somersault!

Sneeze

Dec 4, 2010
I'd love a pet fox, they're pretty adorable. I'd call him Miles and everything. :3

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
In the evolutionary blink of an eye we created a new species, in a manner of speaking.
This really shows how much the universe can alter so quickly given the right circumstances.