Fox's Gotham Pilot Is Batman without Batman

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
The villains have always been the most interesting thing about Batman and they're removing a lot of their interesting traits in favor of gritty "realism". That trend in everything is getting really tiresome. It seems like any stupid cop drama on TV with slightly goofier antagonists.

Jaggededge11

May 8, 2013
Mahorfeus said:
I really, really wanted to like the episode, because I actually thought the parts with Gordon were pretty cool. But to be honest, the shoehorning of future Batman villains was just ridiculously distracting. I think my eyes rolled into the back of my head. Remember that scene at the end of Rises where we learn that one guy's name was actually "Robin"? It was like that, except several times worse. The episode just winked and nudged so hard that I think I ruptured a kidney.

I knew that they would appear in the show, but I figured it would be handled a little more subtly.
This pretty much sums up how I felt about the episode. Here, I was expecting something more along the lines of Batman: Year One (Focusing on Gordon's eventual rise to police chief, his involvement in changing the corruption of the city, and seeing how "normal" criminals functioned before the rise of Batman and the super criminals that followed). Instead I just stood there shaking my head as they paraded villain after villain without even a shred of subtlety.