FPS Spikes when gaming

Venom 3135

The Lemon Merchant
Nov 22, 2009
Basically, I'll be playing games that my laptop can run fine, but once it gets hot, I get serious lag spikes every 15 or so seconds.

I'm sure this is because my laptop is heating up, but what I'm asking is, is there anything I can do about it? Does anyone have any advice to help prevent this?

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Wouldn't the obvious solution is keep your laptop from getting hot? Get one of those cool pads, play it in a cold room, make sure it has plenty of ventilation, or take breaks.

Venom 3135

The Lemon Merchant
Nov 22, 2009
Of course that's the obvious solution haha. I was more so asking for advice on how to do so, because I already have my laptop sat with the fans hanging over the edge of the desk so that nothing obstructs the vents and I often keep my windows open while I play. I'll look into getting a cooling pad though.

If there are no solutions, then I'll just live with the issue, until I can upgrade to a better desktop PC. I just wanted to try and see if there were any other methods I could use haha.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
It's likely that a heatsink isn't fitted properly, or maybe a fan isn't working. Intel cpus reduce their clock speed if they start getting dangerously hot. I don't know about gpus. Even though it's a laptop, the cooling should be adequate.

Take it to a repair shop and ask them to look at it, or ask a tech savvy friend.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Regardless of whether my laptop needs it or not, I tend to give it special treatment when playing a game. So, I point my big box fan at it while playing. It's not the same as an internal one, but really...could it hurt?

Ender910_v1legacy

Oct 22, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
USB laptop cooling pads are stupid cheap. Get one.
I'd second this. On my old laptop it's the only thing I could use to keep it from burning me whenever I touched the keyboard sometimes. They work surprisingly well.

Venom 3135

The Lemon Merchant
Nov 22, 2009
I'll try all of these things that have been recommended to see if it helps. Thanks guys.