Franchises You Want Revived

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I'm sure this isn't the first time this kind of thread has been posted, but it has been floating around in my head since the "franchises you checked out of" thread came up. So, hell, I've got time, so let's play a game. Namely:

1) What franchise(s) do you want revived?

2) How would you do it?

And hey, it's Christmas, so maybe Santa will grant my wish and...yeah, probably not, but anyway:

Advance Wars

What happened? No, seriously, what happened? Was Days of Ruin such a black sheep that the entire series was tarnished? I mean, okay, I personally liked Days of Ruin, but come on, Fire Emblem's got a rebirth of sorts on the 3DS, but poor Advance Wars got left out. And it's not as if plot was ever a major consideration for the series, so there's nothing hindering a new game on that front.

So, if I'd revive it? Make it a new setting. There's a precedent for this with Days of Ruin, and I don't think the Wars World setting is going to entice many new people. Fire Emblem has often alternated between settings while using a near-identical plot structure, so I could see this formula be applied to Advance Wars as well. And while you're at it, if I had a wish, it would be for more infantry classes - snipers, grenadiers, mortar teams, etc. I get that the gameplay is predominantly vehicle based, and that infantry are only really useful for capturing locations, but still...

Command and Conquer

Technically this series isn't completely dead, if only for Tiberium Alliances, but, yeah. Not in good shape. And, cutting to the chase, if I were to revive this, I'd actually make a fourth setting. Flawed as it was, Tiberian Twilight did conclude the overall Tiberium story. Oh, sure, you could deal with lingering plot threads (e.g. the scrin), but, IMO, it's reached its conclusion. Generals is basically the real-world, and I haven't heard anyone clamour for more story to a game that basically had none. Yes, Generals 2 was a thing, and I guess it could be again, but, yeah. I could see a Red Alert 4 existing mind you - such is the nature of the Red Alert series is that you can come up with any kind of insanity you want thanks to time travel.

So, if CnC were to be revived, either a new setting that keeps the core of the series's gameplay, or Red Alert 4. In which case, I demand Nazis. No, really, Nazis. We had one game that avoided Nazis due to Einstein killing Hitler, a second game that went down the crazy route, a third game that bumped the crazy to 9000, so I figure that since Einstein was erased from the timeline, potentially Hitler was never erased, so...Nazis? And mechs? Hitler's brain? Zombies?

And in case you're wondering, I'm not complaining. The Red Alert series is based on being bonkers. I say go for it.

Golden Sun

In a world where Dark Dawn never existed, Golden Sun wouldn't be on this list. It had an excellent duology that left some plot threads open, but none of which demanded a sequel. At which point a sequel comes, ignores those plot threads (bar Alex), deals with some of them (not including Alex), and sets up a cliffhanger. From which point the series has been left in limbo.

So, the answer? Just make a sequel. Make it another duology if you want. Just finish it. Because while I don't like Dark Dawn that much, even if it's still a good game at the end of the day, I'd still prefer closure on the series. Which I had prior to Dark Dawn, BTW...

Half-Life

Half-Life 3. 'Nuff said.

Marathon

I'm going to throw a dirty word around, and that's "remake." Oh, sure, a proper re-release would be nice as well, but this is perhaps the only case where I'd want a trilogy remade from the ground up. Because there's been a shift to "ye olde school" in FPS (Doom, Shadow Warrior, even Duke Nukem was a sort of revival), and my personal thoughts aside, Marathon is still a game that originated from that era. So, on one hand, we've got the gameplay down, and with Marathon also sharing the same lineage as games like System Shock (eerie space stations, insane AI, etc.), it could fit in with that demand as well. I know Marathon is extremely niche, and I only found out about it through Halo, and was only able to play it through Aleph One, but, yeah. Remake please. More Marathon, more love, more Durandal being an endearing jackass, etc.

Perfect Dark

I'm iffy on this one. Thing is, the original Perfect Dark didn't need a sequel, and didn't really leave any plot-threads that demanded one (and yes, I know a sequel was planned, one with an absolutely bonkers plot by the sound of it). Perfect Dark Zero was a dud, but it was a prequel, so its own plot threads were followed up on by default. So, we haven't had any Perfect Dark for awhile, but does it need a continuation?

Strictly speaking, no, it doesn't. But the reason it's on this list is because of the Greg Rucka novels, which were not only well written, but also did excellent worldbuilding for the setting, to the extent that I can't help but want to see more of it. Course Perfect Dark shares the same problem as Blade Runner, that by the year 2020 we're meant to have flying cars, hypercorporations that effectively control entire countries, and in 2023, first contact is made. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that neither of those things will happen. But, taking another leaf from Blade Runner (fitting, since the original has an entire level that's a homage to the film), I figure that if a sequel's to occur, have it take place far in the future. Keep Joanna if only for a sense of continuity, but focus on a new protagonist. "Perfect Dark" is Joanna's codename, but I don't think the series needs to be tied with that. You can have a Halo game without a Halo after all, and while I'm sure Blizzard would disagree, you could make a Diablo game without Diablo.

Admittedly, such a storyline would have to either factor in the maians, or factor them out. I could see either working. And admittedly, this is a case of wanting a sequel to a game that didn't demand it, and I've ranted up above that Dark Dawn was an unneeded sequel that left its series in limbo, but, well, one can hope. It's just that I feel there's so much untapped potential within the setting.

Spyro the Dragon

Fine, let's get this out of the way - Skylanders. And before you say anything, no, I'm not saying that Skylanders has to, or should go, away. It's not my thing, but it's 'the thing' of numerous children (far as I can tell at least), so there's no reason that they should lose something they love just for a nostalgia trip. And, speaking personally, that's all a Spyro revival for me would be - nostalgia. Some throwback to a 3D platformer that got my interest, even if other platformers (Sonic, Mario, Banjo) ensnared me much earlier, and whereas now, Sonic is the only one of those I still follow, and only because Sonic Boom (the cartoon) is a thing, along with idle curiosity at installments like Sonic Mania.

Fittingly enough, I feel Sonic Boom does set the template for how a Spyro-only game could work. Quality aside, I mean in the sense that Sega!Sonic and Boom!Sonic continue to exist alongside each other, so a Sky!Spyro and a Revive!Spyro could do the same thing. So, if Spyro were revived, what would it be? Well, not the Legend of Spyro - that trilogy was done, it was wrapped up, it doesn't need a continuation storywise (Spyro got his happy ending, let him have it). It doesn't preclude a game set in the original continuity, as those games (far as I can tell) were mostly isolated in terms of plot, but it could just as easily occur in a new setting.

Oh, and you can apply the same template to Crash Bandicoot if you want.

Warcraft

Yes, I know the Warcraft universe is alive and well, but by the Light, Warcraft IV? Where's Warcraft IV? WHERE????!!!!

Okay, I get it. StarCraft II is still being worked on. There wouldn't have been a chance to even make Warcraft IV until after Legacy of the Void shipped, unless Blizzard created a new team for it. There's also the obvious question of how Warcraft IV would even function plot-wise? An adaptation? Interquel? Prequel? Set it after WoW? Make it an alternate setting? I can see pros and cons with each of these. To be honest, my favored idea is the alternate setting, to continue on from The Frozen Throne and do its own thing. The series already has a precedent for alternate realities (not just the movie), and I figure this would keep everyone happy. Those only interested in WoW don't need to worry about playing a genre they might not like, and those who don't like WoW don't have to play the MMO to understand the story.

In terms of gameplay, I'd actually try and find a middle ground between WC2 and 3. Not that I dislike 3 (3's easily my favorite in the series), but 3 I feel has so many similarities with MOBAs that a Warcraft IV would have to distinguish itself. So, from 3, keep hero units, keep the asymmetrical army balance, keep the story focus. From 2, keep the presence of massive armies and naval units. Kind of like Battle for Middle-earth (e.g. hero units feature, but work best when supplementing armies rather than being the focus of them), but with a more "Warcrafty" feel.

(Dis)honourable Mentions

Army Men: This is more based on nostalgia than anything else. I'd say just reboot the damn series, because as far as I can tell, later games became a mess on both the gameplay and story fronts. I haven't given this a proper entry, because apparently Mobile Ops did this already, but, yeah. Mobile games aren't my thing.

Dead Space: Never played beyond the first, got some catching up to do, but I understand the series ends on a cliffhanger, so I guess it qualifies for inclusion.

Killzone: I haven't played beyond KZ2, and from what I've seen, I'm iffy if the games need continuation. Oh sure, Shadow Fall allows for it, but if the last thing we ever see is Echo killing Sinclair, showing that the cycle of violence between humans and helghast will never be broken...well, I can get behind that. But I figure if a sequel is ever made, for God's sake, let us play as Echo. The fanbase has been screaming to play as a helghast since forever (apparently forgetting Hakha, but hey, whatever).

Metroid: I'm iffy about this. Whether Metroid counts as dead is down to your opinion, given the...mixed, responses, to Other M and Federation Force. I'm also mixed because I'm not sure if plot-wise, the series needs continuation, that I haven't played that many Metroid games, and of the ones I have, I've only enjoyed the 2D ones. I mean, since Fusion, it's been one interquel/prequel after another. And despite what some might say, I don't think Fusion needs a continuation plot-wise. Oh sure, you could, but it doesn't need it. But I figure if there's ever a "proper" Metroid game again...well, 2D? Pretty please? Heck, just purchase AM2R or something.

So, yeah. Have fun. And who knows, if you're really, really good, Santa may grant your wishes.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I'm less 'revived' and more 'recreate old games with modern tech'.

E.V.O. - The Search For Eden & ActRaiser 1/2 were great games limited by the tech of their day.
Seeing someone take all that was good, if a bit simple, and expanding it with the current tech...that would make me happy.

Also:
Klonoa - This series hasn't had a bad game, one hell of a mediocre (Japan only) game, but never a 'bad' one.

I'd love to see the series get the Wii remake treatment the first one did.
Yes, even the volleyball game.
XD

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
F-Zero.

I get that Nintendo doesn't want to compete with their own IP, but that game is easily the game I miss most from my GameCube days.I played the hell out of that game.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Chromehounds. It had a unique multiplayer set up, and was a really fun more "realistic" build-a-mech shooter. Maybe Fromsoft can work on that instead of Dark Souls now? Just balance it better.

Dragon Quest Monsters. I dont think its really dead, just undersupported and rarely let out of Japan. I would like it more than Pokemon if it was consistently released.

Metal Gear Solid. Ya know, but with Kojima and good. Obviously not gonna happen, but if Konami wasnt a total piece of shit, they -could- give it to someone with respect to Kojima and actual passion. Id start with a remake of Metal Gear 1 and 2 that turns the two plots into one game more like the Solid games while also updating the plot to fit in. Would be a good way for them to prove MGS is in good hands or not.

.hack games. The PS2 series were super fun and neat, and doing that data transfer across FOUR games well before Mass Effect was likely even an idea. Sure its set in an MMO but Im fine with the single-player experience...but maybe let me create a character? Atleast class and appearance wise.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Anyone else ever play Giants: Citizen Kabuto?

(God that's an awkward title.)

It was a third-person action/shooter (with first person mode that I doubt anybody used). Throughout the campaign you played as cockney space pixies who used jetpacks and conventional explosives, an alien witch princess who used a sword, magical bows and spells and who could summon fucking tornadoes and a goddamn 15-meter tall giant who smashed shit up and ate her enemies whole.

It had simple resource gathering and base building as well. The bases were pre-positioned, but you could supplement them with freely placed watchtowers and turrets.

Oh, and the multiplayer was fun as hell too. You could have 5v3v1 three-way matches. Most people just played spacemen vs spacemen though since they were the most fun for PvP and the other two factions were OP as fuck.

Blew my tiny fucking mind as a kid. Summoning one of those tornadoes was my first legit "Holy shit!" moment from a game. "So it says 'Tornado Spell', is it really going to make an actual... oh my god!"

In case you couldn't tell this is mostly nostalgia talking, but I would be grinning my face off if someone out there announced a revival of that.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
This question gets asked a lot, and I usually have one answer that recurs every time:

Jade Empire. Bring this fucker up to date with a melee system like the Batman Arkham series, some slightly nicer graphics and a voiced protagonist. Give me more RPGs that stray from the Western Fantasy template - not that I hate them - but it would be nice to visit the world of the Jade Empire once again.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Ezekiel said:
Saelune said:
Metal Gear Solid. Ya know, but with Kojima and good. Obviously not gonna happen, but if Konami wasnt a total piece of shit, they -could- give it to someone with respect to Kojima and actual passion. Id start with a remake of Metal Gear 1 and 2 that turns the two plots into one game more like the Solid games while also updating the plot to fit in. Would be a good way for them to prove MGS is in good hands or not.
That would actually make me hate Konami. I'm already sick of half the series being prequels. Those games don't need to be remade. What happens then when you play the games in the order they were meant and you lose all the features and graphics of the MG/MG2 remake when you transition to the much simpler MGS1? I'd rather view each game as an advancement of the previous. I want them to finally move forward with the series. Give me new characters in a post-Patriots MGS. Show me a future with more robots mixed into the stealth, like in the return to Shadow Moses. Let Big Boss and his clones finally rest.
Any "new" MGS game made by Konami will be easily disregarded by me.

MG1 and 2 are so bare bones with the plot and now, especially due to MGSV are so out of sync with the plot, it would show both an understanding of the plot and an understanding of MGS games to see someone remake them to show as whether or not they understand the series.

Basically it would make a good test I think to show they know what they are doing. Otherwise Im just going to take any "new" game as an imposter. MGS is ultimately a dead series to me.

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
Hawki said:
Advance Wars

Command and Conquer

Golden Sun
SlumlordThanatos said:
Oh look, everything that immediately sprang to my mind when I saw the thread is already here.
C'mon guys, give me a chance.

My first choice would be Advance Wars, but yes, all of these.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
Timesplitters, the third one was ridiculously good, I don't know why they stopped making them.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
...Spectrobes? That a good choice? It's Disney's answer to pokemon, but the games were actually pretty fun, though the last one was on the Wii, sooo... wouldn't mind seeing that series around once more.

Also, fuck it, Dead Space - EA's pretty much killed the franchise anyway (SO SMART setting it's sale goals to be more than the combined total of the previous titles after revamping the gameplay focus that people liked from the first two games), and it being incompatible with the latest console generation gives it room for a revival. Shit, just give the first one a HD polish and re-release it, that'll do. God damn.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Front Mission! Always Front Mission.

At least the next year proposes a few games in the same genre, finally.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
Gordon_4 said:
This question gets asked a lot, and I usually have one answer that recurs every time:

Jade Empire. Bring this fucker up to date with a melee system like the Batman Arkham series, some slightly nicer graphics and a voiced protagonist. Give me more RPGs that stray from the Western Fantasy template - not that I hate them - but it would be nice to visit the world of the Jade Empire once again.
I'd probably buy this.

Main issue I had with it was how dated it felt when I tried to play it. Now it's sitting in my Steam library, and I can't bring myself to play it.

Maybe they'll balance it differently. That way, I can play as a Wuxia swordsman instead of having swords be special weapons.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Probably Legacy of Kain, Contra and Manhunt. Legacy of Kain just begs for a new game or a reboot since it had such a unique setting with unique characters. Crystal Dynamics has also shown their worth with the new-gen Tomb Raider games so it would be really cool to see the series make the transition from it's PS1/2 roots to modern systems. Still, I don't think it's likely considering Squeenix only sees sales potential in new Tomb Raider games. Contra is another game I would love to see revived as this snes-era sidescrolling shooter(if we're talking individual games I would love another Axelay game as well). But ofcourse that is never gonna happen cause..Konami. Finally there is Manhunt which perhaps has the slightest of chances. The original played like a survival horror game in it's purest form; without silly monsters just pure viscious dread. I don't know how Rockstar divides it's resources but after completing Red Dead 2 they probably move on to a new GTA.

So yeah, none of those series being revived is very likely. :p

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Quest for Glory. Keep the humor and the world, but maybe give it a Dark Souls type combat system and mix it with some puzzle solving and roleplaying dialogue.
In fact I'd love to see QFG 1-5's story retold in a modern 3rd person action adventure RPG. QFG 1-4 were great games, 5 wrapped up the story and was good in terms of plot but terrible in terms of gameplay. Sierra really should have stuck with the animated style rather than try to convert the game into 3d when the tech was still somewhat terrible.

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
About a million old SEGA IPs. But for the sake of time:

-Jet Set Radio (or Jet Grind Radio if your country is dumb)
-Phantasy Star (no, not another MMO)
-Shining Force (I'm well aware Shining is still around, but the Force sub-series isn't)
-Streets of Rage
-Vectorman

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
two for me.
the first is the crusader no remorse/no regret series. needs some updated controls but id like to revisit the world of the silencer

the second is a game none of you have heard of.. theatre europe.. a operational level wargame set in the cold war from the mid 80's. the armies may of been represented by 0's but the atmosphere was something next to no strategy game has managed to capture since. a revisit of that with modern tech? consider me sold

Sonmi

Renowned Latin Lover
Jan 30, 2009

"Well sometimes, dead is better, Louis. The franchise you put up there ain't the franchise that comes back. It might look like that series, but it ain't that series."

That being said, I'd be tempted to see Bioware bring back Jade Empire. The setting was just so damn exquisite, I think it's a real damn shame wuxia is not more popular.

Potjeslatinist

Feb 3, 2016
I'd second Jade Empire, if I wasn't convinced present-day Bioware to be utterly incapable of doing the setting justice.

I'd like to see another No One Lives Forever, with the humour and wit of the first, and without the horrible respawning of the second.

And where's my Planescape? Yeah, I know Tides of Numenera is coming, but all those "spiritual successors" we've gotten the last ten years were anything but.