Fred Phelps is near death

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
I hope a thousand strong crowd of gay men show up at his funeral and just gratuitously make out for its entire duration.

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
I was interested in the news and did some further reading. Turns out he's been excommunicated from the WBC. Does anybody around here know why?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I... never considered this.

Huh.

Lord have mercy on his soul, he'll need it. I wonder how the "church" will proceed without him, now that the Phelps family has abandoned the church/died off.

Playful Pony

Clop clop!
Sep 11, 2012
Huh.... Oh well. I'm not even going to pretend to care about this particular loss of life, although I won't do anything tasteless such as celebrate or picket his funeral. Who truly knows what drove the man into becoming what he became, but evil is still evil i suppose.

Eliam_Dar

Nov 25, 2009
I believe that the best thing anyone can do is to ignore this person's death. If you do a protest in his funeral, you are lowering yourselves to the WBC level, and, ignoring them will hurt them much more.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I don't celebrate the loss of life, I'm not an arsehole. I'm not judging you if you do though, he is the head of a hate group the KKK think are extreme!

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
I'm not going to celebrate this man's death but I sure as hell won't mourn. He's a vile, hateful man who only knows how to cause pain and misery.

I know people are hoping his funeral gets picketed as some kind of poetic justice, but I really hope it doesn't. People should not stoop to his level, we're better than that.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
I find it hard to wish pain and / or suffering on anybody, even mass murderers. If "justice" means inflicting suffering on anybody, even those who've caused suffering themselves, then all I can say is that I don't believe in it.

Having said that... when this guy dies, I will be quietly relieved.

Fred Phelps' son is an atheist and a personal hero of mine. He's talked at length about his family and about the relationship he used to have with his father before he was "cast out". Not in a hateful way, but rather in a more regretful tone.

I'm the only non-Christian in a family of Christians myself. I think the level of "faith" differs from person to person in our family, and we're all very tolerant of each others' views. I say this because they, and many other moderate Christians, were as unhappy with Phelps as his many, many victims were. Phelps is the reason that many people who share my views "look down" upon many people who share those of my more religious family members.

I don't have faith in Faith. I don't think there is any virtue in blindly accepting a point of view just because "everyone else thinks it's right". (Everyone else thought the world was flat at one point, too.) I also think it's far too easily manipulated by people who have an agenda. Go to war? God wants us to! I don't hate gays, God does! Etc.

However, if there HAS to be faith in the world, I'd much rather it be in the hands of the present progressive Pope than the last one, and I'm really really happy that there's one less person using Christianity as a reason to preach messages of hate and division, when to so many less vocal people out there it means the exact opposite of that.

Idsertian

Legacy
Apr 8, 2011
hazabaza1 said:
Can't say many people will miss him to be honest. There'll be that lot that nobody likes, of course, but for anybody sane and reasonable this isn't horrible news.
Epic response, sir. Allow me to augment it:

OT: Point 1: One less idiotic homophobe in the world! Yay!
Point 2: This will have very little effect on the group as a whole, really. Boo!

An idea doesn't die simply because the leader of the group championing it dies, sadly. If anything, this might make them even crazier, if that's possible. But, in the interests of being a sarky git, allow me to use this clip in the way it wasn't intended:

CelestDaer

Mar 25, 2013
No one knows why he was excommunicated... well, outside of the WBC, and, I'm fairly sure his death won't matter to them nearly as much as we're hoping, since most of the group's activities are coordinated by Shirley Phelps, especially since Fred Sr.'s death...

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
There will be someone else on that throne. It seems they've already wheeled him out, and I doubt very much will change. While being tossed aside as rubbish by your own when your days are numbered isn't something I would wish on anyone, I can't say it's terribly unfair to such a man. Even if the experience is far too late to do him any good.

Perhaps we ought to erect a monument? Perhaps next those Sheppard monuments of theirs, if anything ever came of that.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
You, with all these people talking protesting his funeral and paying back what he and his ilk did, I personally think it would be better if no one protested his funeral. If no one showed up, no one desecrated his grave, no one said anything, no one cared. Let them see just how little he really meant.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I can't really say that I feel anything about his passing or hearing he is near death. By the sounds of it he has been excommunicated from the church so it looks like he has a very lonely end coming to him, and I wouldn't picket his funeral, the worst thing you can do to a group like Westboro baptist church is to completely ignore them and regard them as inconsequential in my view.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
harrisonmcgiggins said:
Who is this guy and why do I care?
He is the head of some of the most infuriating people on the planet.
He goes straight to the deepest pits of his own special hell.

If I somehow acquired Doctor Doom's power, he'd be part of my list of targets to eliminate on Day 1, to easily make the world a better place.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
I cannot express how few fucks I have to give about this matter. Phelps is/was a dick, but sparing him any more attention and effort than that statement requires does him far more of a service than he deserves. He's simply not worth the effort.