Freddie Prinze Jr. Joins Dragon Age: Inquisition Voice Cast

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
considering he did well with Vega, I'm not gonna judge. Besides, the voice he's doing for the Iron Bull is VERY different, even different from other Qunari. Heck, part of the reason he sounds so interesting is because he's a contradictory existence from the Qunari. Kinda like how Verrick is a dwarf but doesn't have a beard.

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
His voice doesn't sound deep enough, but it can work. I'm more worried that this Qunari doesn't seem very Qunari-like in personality, even though we haven't heard many lines. They are not the sort of people to use language to sound cool, and say things like 'weird ass poison'.

Drizzitdude

Nov 12, 2009
I did extremely well with Vega so why not right? Also finally we get a qunari with some personality, if I get that monotone "follow the code" crap again heads are going to roll...literally, like Qunari heads...off their shoulders.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
DarkhoIlow said:
Too bad..his lines from the video doesn't feel like a Qunari male voice at all.

Sten's voice actor on the other hand did it very well.
He pretty much stated that The Iron Bull isn't like other Qunari.

hazabaza1 said:
Are these actually the lines they're going to be using for their game? This is actual dialogue, going through the screening process and is going to be in the game?
Well I'm glad I didn't like his performance in Mass Effect either 'cos I know one person who's never being in my party.
Well.. the lines are taken out of context and its makes them sound.. off. Anyway, based on the trailer, you'll have many more companion choices.

Besides, I've never had the "Two-handed" warrior in my party since it mostly consist of a tank, healer, hard hitting guy (Me, usually) and a guy that can do stuff outside of battles (open a lockbox, make potions, etc). I don't think the Iron Bull will be on my party unless he turns out a fan favourite or I decide to change my play style.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
This sounds fine to me.

I'd rather have have this dude with some swagger to his performance than another emotionless growly voice (I've played The Witcher 2).

It might also be that I find the idea of a guy with 2-foot long horns ridiculous anyway - I mean, how the hell does he even sleep or pass through doorways?

Longing

Nov 29, 2012
Am I the only one thinking they gave Iron Bull a 'softer' voice to make a Qunari PC stand out less? 'Cause since we only get 2 voice actors per gender, we're definitely not going to get a gruff rough voice.

Anyways, as someone who had the biggest crush on that guy for most of my childhood, that sounds just fine by me. People don't usually have voices suited to their personality.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Elfgore said:
Don't get me wrong, I think Freddie Prinze is pretty good voice actor. But his lines are total crap. He sounds like some frat house boy. Doesn't really fit in a medieval setting.
This.

I have no problems with him as a voice actor but this video did the opposite of hype. It took a potentially interesting character and made it sound out of place in a way that doesn't make me want to learn more.

Here's hoping that seeing the character play out in game will change my mind.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
Once you see the lines being delivered by the in game character, some of you will probably change your mind.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Scorpid said:
Oh dear I hope the next leap forward of games isn't the leap backwards that animated movies were doing for awhile of getting over payed mainstream actors that soak up a massive portion of your budget at the cost of decent directing, writing and vision with them often only turning in rubbish performances since they aren't experienced voice actors. I mean it doesn't make sense anyway because these guys are always booked with other better paying movies and than promotional stuff for their movies if you want them to come in and do some DLC they're like 'nope all booked unless you want to shell out another couple million for me to upset my calendar'. The only time these big name actors worked out really well in a game was Martin Sheen in ME2 and 3.
This is Bioware, the dudes who turned Mass Effect 2 into a game of "spot the Science Fiction actor" with their voice cast. It kind of gets annoying after a while.

I'll say it again: Dragon Age 2 should have been about the Qunari invading the Free Marches, not about three disconnected random bullshit events and a half assed racial prejudice plot.

tacotrainwreck

Sep 15, 2011
Kill the big/moderate name actor bits, go back to the old days of casting whoever happens to be in the room at the time for next to nothing, and use the leftover cash for actual gameplay. I'm not watching a movie. I'm playing a damn game.

Never gonna happen? Awwww....

senkus

Apr 3, 2010
I'm all for Freddie Prinze Jr. getting a job. He's a good voice actor.

I did not like how James Vega was written, though.
As long as I kept him around, he was busy winkling reexposition bits out of the other characters, doing not much in the way of character development. The fact that he looks like a brodude from Gears of Duty does not make him more interesting either and it led me to believe that his sole purpose was to introduce the spunkgargleweewee players to Mass Effect.
I actually like to me some spunkgargleweewee once in a while, so I don't judge.
But James Vega just felt very "constructed" to me for these reasons, you know, like he "doesn't belong in a Mass Effect world", it actually pulled me out of the game a bit.

TT Kairen

Nov 10, 2011
tacotrainwreck said:
Kill the big/moderate name actor bits, go back to the old days of casting whoever happens to be in the room at the time for next to nothing, and use the leftover cash for actual gameplay. I'm not watching a movie. I'm playing a damn game.

Those days sucked. Terrible voice acting from amateurs can totally ruin a story and take you out of the experience. BioWare makes story driven games. So anything having to do with that comes first.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
BoogieManFL said:
Once you see the lines being delivered by the in game character, some of you will probably change your mind.
More than likely, not only that I bet they're gonna do some tinkering with his voice as well in post.

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
Will he be romanceable this time around? I know that Vega was in a way, if you purchased the DLC, but having never done that want only seen the "encounter", I found it pretty disgusting. Shame too, otherwise I'd actually let him off the Normandy every now and then.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
tacotrainwreck said:

They have always had larger named actors in their voice cast, even with Jade Empire they had Nathan Fillion voicing a role. I think with Mass Effect 2 with Martin Sheen they got an actor that was really well established outside a genre, but they have always had voices that were recognizable to people that can pick it up.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
I like Freddie well enough...I absolutely despised Vega. Here's hoping they don't make the same mistake, and actually develop this character properly. I had no problem with Vega's archetype, but he was was an unworthy replacement for characters who we'd known for several years...

Same with this go around. I understand we will be meeting new characters, and I look forward to it, even Freddie Prinze's character... but only if BW does the proper leg-work to establish these people.