Freelance Guide to Game Journalism Teaches Tricks of the Trade

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Freelance Guide to Game Journalism Teaches Tricks of the Trade

Everything you always wanted to know about freelance videogame journalism (but were afraid to ask) will be laid bare next month in Up Up Down Down Left Write: The Freelance Guide to Video Game Journalism.

Have you ever wondered what it takes to become one of the non-pantsed elite of game journalism freelancers? Your opportunity to peek behind the curtain will soon be here thanks to Up Up Down Down Left Write: The Freelance Guide to Video Game Journalism, a new book by rich-and-famous freelancer, former Escapist newsie and all-around solid dude Nathan Meunier.

Meunier's guide covers everything you need to get started along the path to launching and maintaining a successful freelance career in the gaming industry, from the important basics like pitching ideas and networking with other writers and editors to the finer points of getting free stuff from PR people, remembering to put on pants when you go "outside" and how to copy/paste from press releases like I just did.

To be a bit more serious about it, Up Up Down Down Left Write etc. should be pretty good stuff for anyone thinking about leaping into the biz. Meunier's written for a lot of good magazines and sites over the years, including Nintendo Power, GamePro, OXM, IGN, EGM and of course The Escapist, and will turn those years of experience into detailed insights and tips delivered in easy-going, accessible prose. (I get an extra 20 for saying that, right Nathan?)

Up Up Down Down Left Write: The Freelance Guide to Video Game Journalism goes on sale on August 5 in both Kindle and print editions. In the meantime, you can find out more about what's in store at freelancegamejournoguide.com [http://freelancegamejournoguide.com/].

batti

Mar 18, 2009
I´m calling it that the book will just be There is no easy route like reading one book, numbskull over and over /jk
OT: This is kinda cool. Maybe it will help codify better behavior for the next generation of VG reporters(Yes, I´m lookingat you Gamestop/IGN).

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
batti said:
I´m calling it that the book will just be There is no easy route like reading one book, numbskull over and over /jk
OT: This is kinda cool. Maybe it will help codify better behavior for the next generation of VG reporters(Yes, I´m lookingat you Gamestop/IGN).
Well, if it helps teach some Journalists the meaning of the word "Public Relations" then I'm all for it. Because while i havn't noticed much of a problem with it on the escapist, most of the gaming world has a really big problem getting their head around the actual meaning of that word i've found.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
I backed it on kickstarter. Got the ebook. Pretty good so far. Kinda wish I got the physical version instead, but whatever.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
But will it teach budding journalists about the basic tenets of the order they wish to join?