Frictional Rolls Out Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Trailer

Landrius

Feb 14, 2011
SteakHeart said:
Doclector said:
lotr rocks 0 said:
Doclector said:
Dammit, come back here and give me a console release! Us horror fans with crap pcs are starvin' here!

Ah, it looks good. But seriously...why are you genuine horror developers so mean to us!?
Amnesia really doesnt require a very good PC to play well, just so you know.

Trailer could have been better imo.
Apparently, it disagrees with my particular laptop video card.
I don't mean to sound like an advertiser here, but SlimDrivers is good for fixing problems like that. Get the free version, update your video / audio drivers with it, and bam! Amnesia worked fine for me afterwards (albeit laggy, since my PC is crap for non-Valve or Indie games).
First off, I want to thank you, Steak, for pointing me in the direction of SlimDrivers. I've been looking for something like that for my laptop that I didn't have to pay for.

On topic, my feelings towards A:AMFP are pretty simple. If it's basically just Amnesia with new environments and monsters, I'll like it. Not as much as Amnesia: The Dark Descent, but I'll still enjoy it. If, instead, it has improved on Amnesia or if the story manages to be brilliant in some particular fashion--as story can captivate me no matter what (almost) if done right--then I'll love it.

However, the fact that it's the Dear Esther guys doing the development, admittedly, makes me frown. I didn't like Dear Esther and that surprised me; I tried to like it with every fiber of my being and just couldn't do it. Given that I enjoy cryptic, story-focused games and that's what Dear Esther set out to be with its heart and soul, the fact that it left me feeling mildly angry that I'd wasted my time with it was not a good sign. Especially since I'd never felt that way towards ANY game before, ever. Perhaps because no game ever came so close to my heart while still missing by miles.

Still, I don't think it means that this will be bad or that the Dear Esther guys are inherently bad. It's just that their reputation is, in my eyes, stained. Perhaps they'll convince me to forgive and forget if they do this well.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
I don't know, but maybe being a smaller indy team they don't have a dedicated media person to put together a great trailer at any time, so they just had a developer whip something together? And/or the game is still in an early enough state that there isn't much good material to put in a trailer?

SteakHeart

Jul 20, 2009
Landrius said:
SteakHeart said:
Doclector said:
lotr rocks 0 said:
Doclector said:
Dammit, come back here and give me a console release! Us horror fans with crap pcs are starvin' here!

Ah, it looks good. But seriously...why are you genuine horror developers so mean to us!?
Amnesia really doesnt require a very good PC to play well, just so you know.

Trailer could have been better imo.
Apparently, it disagrees with my particular laptop video card.
I don't mean to sound like an advertiser here, but SlimDrivers is good for fixing problems like that. Get the free version, update your video / audio drivers with it, and bam! Amnesia worked fine for me afterwards (albeit laggy, since my PC is crap for non-Valve or Indie games).
First off, I want to thank you, Steak, for pointing me in the direction of SlimDrivers. I've been looking for something like that for my laptop that I didn't have to pay for.
You're welcome. I exist on this site to do three things: help people in need, make bad puns, and chew bubblegum.

AND I HAPPEN TO HAVE A DECENT AMOUNT OF BUBBLEGUM ON HAND.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
I'm still getting used to that subtitle, "A Machine For Pigs." It makes me wish for a playthrough video done by Ms. Piggy. :p

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
The Wykydtron said:
So no console release planned? Awwwwwww come on guys! Pretty please?!

People really underestimate just how terrible a laptop can be... "Oh it's only an indie game with no complex graphics to speak of so surely you can run it on-" No GTFO it's beyond help.

Weren't there compatibility issues with Amnesia before? Like integrated video cards (like the ones in laptops!) were just plain old bad for running Amnesia? Sure something was like that anyway...

'K Pig Monster... Fucking fuck. I'll end up watching the inevitable 50 billion horror LPers play through this game. Cry, Helloween, maybe even Pewdie... Probably not though.
And yet here I am, capable of running (albeit barely) The Witcher 2 on my laptop. It also only cost me about 650 dollars.

If you look, you can find a decent hybrid graphics card laptop for about the same as what I paid.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834246328

that'll do you fine and it's only 500 dollars right now. Processor could certainly be better, but most reqs the minimum is a dual core processor, a lower speed quad core should be fine.

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
Eh... Gotta say, not entirely sure it'll be as good as the first. I'm a little doubtful of TheChineseRoom; and that trailer just didn't do it for me like Amnesia:TDD's did, and that one was just striaght gameplay footage. When I saw that trailer, I knew that game would be fucking scary. This one, not so much.

Tamrin

Nov 12, 2011
Let's see...

No weapons
No chest high walls
No multiplayer
No co-op
No girlfriend to rescue
No wise cracking sidekick

The list of things this doesn't have just goes on.

How do you expect to ruin a sequel when you are doing everything right?! It's like your trying earn my money by doing a good job or something!

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
Carnagath said:
Was there really a need for such a short teaser? Who do they think they are, Blizzard? After watching this, the only things I learned about the game is that it's a horror game and it kinda looks like Thief 2 with an HD mod. Release a proper trailer or fuck off.
You're telling people to fuck off because you didn't like the trailer they provided to you? Well, that's a bit overzealous.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
So... it's Amnesia... with new and different maps... and ManBearPig monsters... I'm sold. Please Frictional, take all of it.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Weirdest game subtitle in relation to game content ever.

I liked Amnesia even though it was short. I'll get this.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
My concern is that TheChineseRoom tends to make games whose stories make fuck-all sense. That's fine if you're into that sort of thing, and I can handle some ambiguity, but when the story can be interpreted in an infinite number of ways, it might as well not be there.

Of course, the biggest stumbling block is that I have no computer with which to run this game.

Freaky Lou

Nov 1, 2011
Zakarath said:
Eh... Gotta say, not entirely sure it'll be as good as the first. I'm a little doubtful of TheChineseRoom; and that trailer just didn't do it for me like Amnesia:TDD's did, and that one was just striaght gameplay footage. When I saw that trailer, I knew that game would be fucking scary. This one, not so much.
Did you read the video description? They explain what's going on. Apparently they had decided to make a little presentation for this game should the Humble Indie Bundle 5 sell well enough, but it blew way above the bar they'd set before they could get a proper presentation together. So this is just a glimpse at some environments, not exactly a proper trailer.

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
SayHelloToMrBullet said:
Why is there so much hate for the trailer? I think it does a good job as a teaser.
You know, internet tuff guys being all "DIS IS NOT SCARY. I AINT AFRAID OF NOTHING. HORROR GAMES DON'T EXIST BECUZ I AINT AFRAID O NOTHIN" and all that........

The Chinese Room is amazing for this. Amnesia doesn't have much gameplay to begin with first of all, but that's besides the point. What makes horror scary? Atmosphere, ambiance, setting, etc......and what does The Chinese Room do really good as shown by Dear Esther? Its the perfect crew for it in my opinion. Story telling should even be better than the first hopefully.

Its an indie dev, showing a teaser. Hell, most teasers by triple A games are just logos or pre-rendered shit that doesn't relate to the game, so I would say this is pretty good for a teaser.

Also. Pig demons. Mutherf-ing pig demons.

Iron Criterion

Feb 4, 2009
WouldYouKindly said:
And yet here I am, capable of running (albeit barely) The Witcher 2 on my laptop. It also 'only cost me' about 650 dollars.
And the "I have too much money" award goes to...

OT: I'm hoping this will live up to expectations, but I find the concept of a humanoid pig enemy ridiculous - perhaps I played too much Duke Nukem.