From BioWare's Problem with Scope to Ubisoft's Problem with Women

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
When you want to make a woman into a hero, you hurt her first. When you want to make a man into a hero, you hurt... also a woman first.
Oh good, one of these people. There are so many fucking games out there where the main character, who is a dude, gets hurt in many many more ways then hurting a women in his life. Hell, off the top of my head I can think of a handful.

Bravely Default
Persona 3
Sly Cooper
Metal Gear Rising
Jade Empire
Knights of The Old Republic
Metal Gear Solid 3
I know I know, with the ending, but in terms of the story, the whole pain for Snake was CAUSED by The Boss

This list can go on and on but i dont want to hit the character limit. Dont get me wrong, I know theres games out there that do what Alexander said, but it all depends on the story and if its good for character development, thats when they should take away the family/lover of the MC. Like Shadow of the Colossus or FF8, those are good examples of where he main character's loved one, who happens to be female, gets taken away from them and they do whatever it takes to get them back, showing how much they care. One is willing to kill MOUNTAINS to get her back, the other went to the got dang moon! The fact that people are just using women as objects to try to get there points seen like Alexander did just pisses me off.

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
I'm going to buy this game. It's settled. I'm going to buy Assassin's Creed Unity, play it with my friends and enjoy Chick-Fil-A with it. I think this 'scandal' has been the most successful advertisement for a game for me in most resent memory. Good job Ubisoft and Escapist Bandwagons!

reiem531

Aug 26, 2009
Have people already forgotten Assassin's Creed 3 Liberation? You know, the one with a female protagonist?

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Creedsareevil said:
Scorpid said:
Yeah I'm worried about that too. Dragon Age 2 for me was the stronger game all in all because at the end of the day I really cared about nearly every character in my party and more uniquely the city I actually LIVED in. DA:O for me with the exception of Alistar I never really connected with the companions and being wondering murder hobos is something I've done a hundred times for years. Furthermore Dragon Age 2 actually felt like the mature complex story that Dragon Age Origins was advertised as but wasn't really. Dragon Age 3 is probably going to be an over correction after alot of the fans lost their shit waaay too much... poor Hepler she didn't deserve that bile thrown at her.
DA2 got shat on because of the obvious corner cutting.
Paying full price to scour the same areas a hundred times... yeah no.

It did have its upsides, i loved playing snarky hawke and having the events revolving around him and his clique and it not beign a save the world again plot, but a more localized "wtf is this shit again?!" story (i did dislike the dead mommy plot though: hawke acted liek a total retard and i hate when a writer slaps me with a moment like that and all i can think is "I KNEW THIS WOULD HAPPEN YOU DUMB FUCK AND SO SHOULD MY PROTAGINIST BECAUSE HE HAS SEEN THE SAME FUCKING EVIDENCE I DID YOU DUMB ASSHOLE! AND YET YOU MADE ME GO THROUGH THIS BS TO MILK DRAMA WHICH EVEN THE FUCKING PROTAGONIST RECOGNIZES AS BS AND CONSEQUENTLY DOES-NOT-GIVE_A-SINGLE-FUCK SO ALL YOU DID WAS WASTE MY TIME!").

Having the story confined to the city and surrounding area was fine, but the corner cutting and resulting stupid situations that sprang from that corner cutting were what ruined it.
The city is loaded wih veritable ARMIES of bandits and thieves that jump out in the night and GET SLAUGHTERED BY THE HUNDREDS!!! Why in the world is there ANYONE in that city that even so much as sneezes at hawke after he/she spent several nights MASS MURDERING armys of THUGS?!
I now realize why the city has only a hand full of locales to visit: All the other locales are stuffed to the brim with all the DEAD GUYS the protagonist has piled up.

Not to mention that the story became rather silly once anders went all osama - again a development so unsurprising i went to take a piss for the pivotal "what have ya done!!" scene...

So, DA2 had a good start, a decent middle and then went straight into stupid.
It had its ups: combat was fun. Snarky hawke was fun. Not having to save the world was fun. Lapses in storytelling aside, characters were fun.

But the fckn corner cutting....

i forgot where i was going with this.... hey bioware need a writer?
I'm not going to argue DA2 was a perfect game. But its story was the best one Bioware has told in a long time and in games for me its the story that keeps me in my seat, not a cool combat mechanic or a empowerment fantasy. But you are right the corner cutting was absolutely atrocious and there is no excuse for it beyond EA and bioware trying to get the game to market sooner than they should and under a budget that was too low. But there is way more in it that's good even great than bad but the bad things are also the most immediately obvious. So I understand where people are coming from short of harassing individual team members... poor poor Hepler.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
BlumiereBleck said:
I'm going to buy this game. It's settled. I'm going to buy Assassin's Creed Unity, play it with my friends and enjoy Chick-Fil-A with it. I think this 'scandal' has been the most successful advertisement for a game for me in most resent memory. Good job Ubisoft and Escapist Bandwagons!
EA could use that tactic, all they'd need to do is tweak one of their past marketing campaigns.

"Buy this game, your feminist will hate it!"