Frontier Developments Cuts Staff

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Frontier Developments Cuts Staff

Less than two weeks before Christmas, the Elite: Dangerous developer has laid off 14 employees.

The Kickstarter [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1461411552/elite-dangerous] for Elite: Dangerous is slowly climbing toward its £1.25 million ($2 million) goal, but the pre-holiday news for 14 employees at Frontier Developments isn't very merry. Effective this past Friday, December 14, the studio laid off nine employees in the art department, three in animation and two in audio. Managing Director David Walsh said the cuts were made necessary by "the changing mix of skills requirements for our current and future projects" and added that Frontier's prospects "remain healthy."

"Once we took the decision to make the roles redundant, we felt it was better that the affected people knew ASAP so they can plan any further expenditure over the Christmas period accordingly and focus on their search for new roles as soon as possible," Walsh told Eurogamer. "We have provided redundancy arrangements in excess of the minimum." The exact nature of those arrangements was not revealed.

The cuts are relatively minor - prior to the layoffs, Frontier employed 233 people - but in spite of Walsh's suggestion that the studio was somehow doing its former employees a favor by letting them go now, it's hard to imagine how the timing, less than two weeks before Christmas, could possibly be worse. We wish the best to all who were affected.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-12-17-layoffs-at-elite-dangerous-developer-frontier]

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
It's good for them because now they won't have to use vacation days to see their family for Christmas. Right?

Right.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I'm not sure if one week after Christmas wouldn't be worse. On the one hand they get to enjoy Christmas, on the other hand they get to find it was all a lie and they've done some massive Christmas shopping that they can't afford anymore.

Preacher zer0

Jun 13, 2010
This industry is trying to make pre-christmas layoffs into a tradition?

That's 4 stories of games related companies doing layoffs in as many days.

Humbug indeed.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Preacher zer0 said:
This industry is trying to make pre-christmas layoffs into a tradition?

That's 4 stories of games related companies doing layoffs in as many days.

Humbug indeed.
Most game companies lay off after crunch time, which is when they tend to go on a hiring binge.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
its a cold favor i suppose. "dont break the bank this christmas cause you dont have a job" i suppose is the thought process here.

catalyst8

Oct 29, 2008
rhizhim said:
inb4: well, thanks obama (care)
I don't understand this statement. What does a US American politician have to do with an English games company with an office in Canada?

rhizhim said:
that is sad.
why do they even wait so long and fire people just before the "jolly" days?

so they can "focus on their search for new roles as soon as possible"?
my dick can "search for new roles as soon as possible" during one of the most stressful events/weeks of the year.
It's business, not a charity. In order to survive a business must manage its costs, & that includes employees' wages.

jonc83

Feb 18, 2011
I know it sounds like the normal internet bitching, but I have just cancelled my pledge for Elite.

If they had said "Hey, we're in a really tough financial position, we need to cut costs or go under" that would be one thing. But they didn't. They said "we're fine, we just don't need these guys".

I back games on kickstarter partly because I want the games, but mostly it gives me a voice to say no, I don't want call of duty 17. I want intelligent, innovative games. What I don't want is more big corporate nonsense, which is exactly what this feels like.

I am sure I an not alone.

CUnk

Oct 24, 2008
Maybe it's not as bad as it sounds. Maybe they only fired non-Christian employees.

kburns10

You Gots to Chill
Sep 10, 2012
I don't think I could ever work in the gaming industry with everyone getting laid off this year.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
After looking at the situation, it is really the lesser of two dickens.

I don't presume as much as to judge about the overall timing based on knowledge I don't have, though.