FTL Dev Announces Advanced Edition, iPad Version

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
Wow, that's great news... but I was really hoping for an Android version. You know, if the creators of FTL are reading this I'd be willing for port it from iOS to Android. I like this thing so much I'd be willing to donate my free time. iOS to Android ports aren't normally that difficult... at least the ones I've done.

Saika Renegade

Nov 18, 2009
Ooh, free updates? I'm on board with this. More reasons to play again and good-talk this game with friends.

Neta

Aug 22, 2013
I played FTL but I didn't like the fact that I couldn't save my game and had to start from the beginning again every single time I died.

Is this what "roguelike" means? I've never heard the term before, but if it is then I'm not a fan.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
I would have paid for an expansion without much hesitation. I'm absolutely psyched that it'll be for free. Time to dust off my HDD and load FTL back onto my laptop.

porous_shield

Jan 25, 2012
I must have played an hundred hours in FTL just trying to all the different versions of the ships and the crystal cruiser and I love the idea of more content.

That mind control thing sounds like it would be absolute ass if the enemy uses it on you.

Neta said:
I played FTL but I didn't like the fact that I couldn't save my game and had to start from the beginning again every single time I died.

Is this what "roguelike" means? I've never heard the term before, but if it is then I'm not a fan.
In a nutshell, yeah, that's what rogue-like means; the term means different things for different people and has a contested meaning.

KungFuJazzHands

Mar 31, 2013
It makes you wonder: if a small development team of two people can manage to release a free content update for their video game, why can't the big studios do it too?

I think we all know the answer to that.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Flunk said:
Wow, that's great news... but I was really hoping for an Android version. You know, if the creators of FTL are reading this I'd be willing for port it from iOS to Android. I like this thing so much I'd be willing to donate my free time. iOS to Android ports aren't normally that difficult... at least the ones I've done.
You should head over to the FTL website/forums if you haven't - there's been people offering such services for the last year or so. More voices to add to the crowd!

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
KungFuJazzHands said:
It makes you wonder: if a small development team of two people can manage to release a free content update for their video game, why can't the big studios do it too?

Oh I know, its because a small development team can work for incredibly little money and hence increase the odds of a free update being profitable(i.e. increases the number of people who would now consider the game worth buying). While a large development team would run a high risk of just loosing money and if they loose money publishers will become less willing to work with them on future projects. I mean the only reason valve can continuously do free updates of tf2 is a) they own steam and hence have more money then god and b) because there are plenty of people who would buy the hats(hence making it at least somewhat profitable).

KungFuJazzHands

Mar 31, 2013
nuba km said:
KungFuJazzHands said:

Oh I know, its because a small development team can work for incredibly little money and hence increase the odds of a free update being profitable(i.e. increases the number of people who would now consider the game worth buying). While a large development team would run a high risk of just loosing money and if they loose money publishers will become less willing to work with them on future projects. I mean the only reason valve can continuously do free updates of tf2 is a) they own steam and hence have more money then god and b) because there are plenty of people who would buy the hats(hence making it at least somewhat profitable).
Not quite what I was thinking, but your explanation works too. It all comes down to money and the unwillingness of a small group of greedy control freaks to take risks.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Small studio expands game with more content? Free of Charge!

Mega publisher expands game by fixing old broken stuff and adding a commentary? 5$ please!

Kahani

May 25, 2011
KungFuJazzHands said:
Not quite what I was thinking, but your explanation works too. It all comes down to money and the unwillingness of a small group of greedy control freaks to take risks.
I think what it actually comes down to is that when releasing a new version onto a new system, it's very easy to give an update to existing users on an old system at the same time. That's a very different situation from spending time and money developing new content without any way to make money from it. Developers need to eat, regardless of how big or small their company might be. New content always has to be paid for somehow.

spartandude said:
I wont lie, they had me at "new music" seriously i love this sound track and more of it is just awesome.
Great, now I'm going to have the Rock theme tune going round my head for the rest of the day.

Wackymon

Jul 22, 2011
Neta said:

Actually, you could. The Save and Exit button was for that. Most rougelikes have stuff like that, it's just that if you die, you loose your character/ship/monster/ai/base. That's what's mostly considered a Rougelike.

Also, this is amazing. I want this. Now.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Neta said:

Overly simplified, yes, roguelike means it's a short game overall (FTL, for example can be beating in about 30 to 40 minutes, maybe an hour), you can't save and reload to previous states (one save, if any), maps and events are at least to some degree randomised and if you die, you restart.

There are games that are closer to games like Rogue (which created the term roguelike), by being an actual RPG and being fully turn-based.
Tho nowerdays "roguelike" is more of a gamemechanic rather than a genre with the above mentioned things (meaning you can have a Roguelike FPS, roguelike platformer and in case of FTL, a roguelike RTS/tactical game)

Kieve

Jan 4, 2011
Best gaming news since Terraria 1.2 at the very least. :D
But for those who can't wait (and already own FTL), I strongly recommend checking out Sleeper Service's Captains Edition [http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15663] mod - it's not quite the same as an official expansion but it does add a ridiculous amount of new content across the board.

Also, really hoping Prunty updates the FTL soundtrack with the new tunes, or has an extra album to buy them. FTL music is just fantastic.

DjinnFor

Nov 20, 2009
As much as I liked FTL (for a month) I don't think I'm going to dust it off again. Too much RNG.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Why do I get the feeling I'm about to discover dozens of more exciting and dangerous ways of playing the game dying horribly in Sector 1? I do quite like the game in its current form. I wonder what these changes will mean but I'm optimistic about them.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
Yesyesyesyesyesyes. FTL is by far my favourite indie game ever and considering the wealth of indie games out theres these days that's really saying something. Even with my laptop overheating and occasionally shutting down because it's so outdated this game was still a blast and I'd love a few more weapons or (fingers crossed) ships and crew species to play around with. I'd love to see a survival style mode as well where you get X amount of cash to build a ship with and then try and get as far into space as possible without any shops/ repair ports.

Apr 8, 2010
StewShearer said:
....as well as new Advanced Edition content in early 2014.
Ohhhhhhh shit!

Seriously I sunk over a hundred hours into this game by now and still play it occasionally to unlock absolutely everything - on normal of course. I might have lost a few years of my life to the ridiculous amount of raging that followed during play I...but god damn is it good. And more official content...for free...shit....

...the only thing which could make this worse....

Kieve said:
Best gaming news since Terraria 1.2 at the very least. :D
But for those who can't wait (and already own FTL), I strongly recommend checking out Sleeper Service's Captains Edition [http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15663] mod - it's not quite the same as an official expansion but it does add a ridiculous amount of new content across the board.
...well SHIT!

*downloads mod*

Megalodon

May 14, 2010
Legion said:
I'd also like the Crystal Cruiser to require less complete random luck to get. Sometimes it can be literally impossible due to locations given, but you don't know that until doing 90% of the game.
So much this. FTL is the only game I've played that's had me praying for DLC. A DLC to unlock all the ship hulls would have been perfect, I only managed to get a couple before I got bored. I would have gladly paid a couple more quid to extent the game's lifespan with all the ships.

Either way, this is fantabulous news.