Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
ExtraDebit said:
I have a question: does this game have any kind of story at all?
Yes. ...A little. And a few more tidbits in various quests. But, basically the main story amounts to a few paragraphs, a boss fight, and not much more.

ExtraDebit said:
I played a game similar to this on ios called "Out There" and the story was incredible especially the ending.
FTL has many incredibly fine features. I'm not sure I'd rate its story as one of its strengths.

Honestly, my favorite story bit in FTL is just a tidbit a rebel captain might say before attacking you (paraphrased): "You'll see how much better things will be when we take over! I mean, you won't, but you know what I mean."

Kieve

Jan 4, 2011
ExtraDebit said:
I have a question: does this game have any kind of story at all? I played a game similar to this on ios called "Out There" and the story was incredible especially the ending.
The 'story' is little more than a framework. Event text is generally short and gives you some insights into the kind of galaxy FTL inhabits. It's a very fertile ground for crafting your own narrative though. (I'd link you to some of the stories on the FTL boards, but the forum is being finnicky at the moment).

EndlessSporadic said:
Free update? I give my +1 to this developer.
Justin & Matt are very awesome :) And while Ben Prunty isn't an "official" dev, to my knowledge, his new tracks for FTL are fantastic.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Played a little this morning. There are a lot of things not mentioned that they've added:

-Ships can now also be unlocked by completing the game with a particular ship, rather than having to trawl through sectors endlessly to get the right combination of events.
-The interface has been overhauled a bit; in particular they now list the benefits of training skills and manning systems.
-When you go to the jump screen, mousing over a sector will show you all the jumps you can make from that sector, hopefully putting to an end the problem of jumping into a dead end.
-Humans now train skills faster than other races.
-Subsystems can be manned, basically it grants the benefits of the next power level.
-Several of the enemy ships that appear have had redesigns, there are a whole new bunch of 'pirate' class ships with unfamiliar layouts.
-Shields now also have a bar that shows recharge progress.
-New music!

I played the new Lanius cruiser and it was awesome. My first thoughts were that the weapon loadout and crewmembers made it OP: then I realised there was no medbay. Yikes.

All in all, I can't recall the last time someone added this much content in a free update.

Augustine

Jun 21, 2012
Now own both an iPad and PC versions. Excellent title, and I urge all to try it as well.

Very conceptually creative roguelike. Brutal and fun. Tough love.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Denamic said:
A hard mode. Emasculate me a little more, why don't you?
Yeah I hear you. Fourth run I had on the game I died at the first jump. Got hit with an EMP ambush fight in a solar flare area. With my ship on fire and my engines disabled and the pirates seemingly too stupid to flee we both blew up.

SO, joy. More bashing my head into a brick wall. This game is harder to beat than Dark Souls was. I ran it over 30 times on Easy and have YET to eke out a victory though I've made it to the final boss a few times(once without a single meaningful weapon upgrade the entire game).

Blitzing

Jan 12, 2014
So they show the iPad version with the kestrel exploding on the screen :p Is this a premonition?

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Geisterkarle said:
How do you update the game? I don't have the Steam version, but the Stand-Alone file! How do I do it?
You redownload it from where you purchased it from, I believe.

Melion

Apr 16, 2009
No FTL for Android? That's a shame, I guess I'll keep enjoying the PC version then.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
ExtraDebit said:
I have a question: does this game have any kind of story at all? I played a game similar to this on ios called "Out There" and the story was incredible especially the ending.
I know 2 others have responded to this but I just wanted to point out this. Chris Avellone did the writing for a good portion of the new update. If you're unaware of who he is, Chris Avellone is the guy who wrote the story for as well as designed Fallout 2, the Icewind Dale series, Neverwinter Nights 2, Kotor 2 and other legendary Black Isle Studio/Obsidian games. Included Planescape: Torment, a game heralded as the greatest D&D based RPG ever made.

So there may be more of a story than people think this time round.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
just had my first game after the patch, man the game is soooo much better now, just being able to know how each area of the sector is conected, huge game changer

Darxide

Dec 14, 2009
This was already one of the best games I've ever bought, and now a free update? This. This is how you run a company.

deathjavu

Nov 18, 2009
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Yesssss. I have gotten too good at this game, it's time to get my ass handed to me again.
Once you figure out killing all the crew members gives more scrap, the A layout of the Mantis ship can win Easy over 75% of the time.

Other tricks- maximizing your pilot, engine and shields officers by having oversized-for-your-sector shielding that a beam weapon only enemy cannot pierce. Wait. It'll give you big boosts to dodge % and shield recharge time.

Also, I remember the "showing all node connections" being a toggle-able option in the original. I guess most people didn't find it?

Whatever it's time for more FTL

Sol_HSA

was gaming before you were born
Nov 25, 2008
Blitzing said:
So they show the iPad version with the kestrel exploding on the screen :p Is this a premonition?
No, just showing your typical gameplay.. =)

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
NuclearKangaroo said:
just had my first game after the patch, man the game is soooo much better now, just being able to know how each area of the sector is conected, huge game changer
Um... it was already like that beforehand. With the lines and all that jazz. Did you not know about that option in the options menu? (No offense intended, unless you hate waffles of course)

SexyGarfield

Mar 12, 2013
AnthrSolidSnake said:
So, I have it from the Humble Bundle. How exactly would I get the update? Or do I not?
if you have created an account with humble log in to your account page with them and it should list all your games and a link to download. If no account has been created go to the email they sent you when you first bought it and click the download link again.

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
SexyGarfield said:
AnthrSolidSnake said:
So, I have it from the Humble Bundle. How exactly would I get the update? Or do I not?
if you have created an account with humble log in to your account page with them and it should list all your games and a link to download. If no account has been created go to the email they sent you when you first bought it and click the download link again.
I tried that actually. The game itself at the main menu still says FTL and nothing else.

Apr 8, 2010
Played for about a dozen hours on hardmode already (don't ask!).

Here's what I've encountered so far:

[ul][li]Hardmode kicks my ass - I can't say how much but I definitely needed a lot of restarts with what I tried instead of a few that usually led me to victory in normal. I also have the distinct feeling that repair speed for enemy ships has been increased a lot while your own has been diminished, which is very very annoying.[/li][/ul]

[ul][li]Boarding has been nerfed: teleporter is more expensive, successful boarding yields less scrap and the Flagship is less susceptible to it. The middle point might be due to hardmode, though.[/li][/ul]

[ul][li]Autopilot is more useful: Now provides a far higher (50/80) bonus as before and can actually be useful in the game.[/li][/ul]

[ul][li]Door System can now be manned: Manning it gives instant access to the next higher tier which is extremely useful to reign in fires or boarding parties.[/li][/ul]

[ul][li]More stuff that breaks shields: hacking provides a nice way of draining the shields without having to resort to endless Laser-salvos or missiles to get through. The new flak cannon and vulcans also do that job pretty decently. [/li][/ul]

[ul][li]Mind Control & Cloning Bay: Two things I haven't tried yet but endless boarding parties due to cloning are a nuisance - the mind control much less so, because it usually wears off quickly enough so that occupying the controlled person with another of your crew members and bailing out when it becomes dangerous for either suffices for the effect to wear off before any systems get destroyed.[/li][/ul]

[ul][li]Hacking: probably the most useful new system in the advanced edition for me so far - provides lots of options, some of them really devastating (shield and weapon drain!) and doesn't cost too much. Sweet![/li][/ul]

[ul][li]Harder Boss: yes if you thought that thing was already hard, think again: level one now also hacks you and the layout has been changed slightly so that the crew has access and can repair the missile and laser system. Annoying. Got quickly shot down at level two so can't comment on the other levels yet.[/li][/ul]

[ul][li]As said, access to ships is far easier and C types seem to unlock upon reaching sector 8 with the B type already.[/li][/ul]

SexyGarfield

Mar 12, 2013
AnthrSolidSnake said:
SexyGarfield said:
AnthrSolidSnake said:
I tried that actually. The game itself at the main menu still says FTL and nothing else.
Look below the download button, it will have 2014-04-03 underneath it to show that a new version was uploaded and when.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
V da Mighty Taco said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Um... it was already like that beforehand. With the lines and all that jazz. Did you not know about that option in the options menu? (No offense intended, unless you hate waffles of course)
no, i cant imagine why that option would be turned off by default