Fujitsu's 3D Motion Software Turns Your Webcam Into a Kinect

takfar

May 22, 2013
It could have very valuable effects when worked together with a mouse. If you're on photoshop or modeling in 3D, being able to control 3D space with your left hand while working the project with your right hand (or vice versa for lefties) could be awesome. Think editing a model's vertexes and spinning it around without having to stop your editing... and without the need for any sort of expensive 3D mouse thing. Great tool for productivity. Some games could use it to great effect if they were created with this in mind, but most traditional games would probably benefit much from it, tho.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Few things:

- Kinect has been out on PCs for years. I find it odd that no one has mentioned that.

- It's not really fair to compare a simple 3D motion detector to a Kinect, as cool as it is to achieve this with a simple webcam, the current PC Kinect is a very cool piece of hardware for artsy stuff, modeling and sientific proyects, as you can see here http://www.kinecthacks.com/ , actually would think that site is more deserving of publicity or maybe i am just a fanboy of it.

Finally, have to concur with some posters. As cool as this sounds, it also gives me the impression of being a pain in the butt to use. Maybe I am missing something.

Xyebane

Disembodied Floating Skull
Feb 28, 2009
So is this software or is this hardware? If it's software that works with our existing webcams, why are they postponing release to "increase production of the device"? Am I the only one that this doesn't make sense to?

I are confused

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Bwah-ha-ha. The idea of overpriced junk like Microsoft's Kinect being made obsolete by existing technology repurposed just made my day. I hope Steve Ballmer is drinking coffee when he reads this