Full body scans and pat downs: Do they cross the line?

TheTim

Jan 23, 2010
maybe for the security guards, they have to pat down men and many ugly ass women every day, thats what i call a horrible job, unless you get a model or something.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
To the best of my knowledge, the pre-flight security measures have never foiled a terrorist attempt. It was either due to intelligence agencies arresting the suspect well in advance, or by some passengers with balls the size of elephants disabling any would-be terrorists on the flight. So to put it bluntly, all of this security stuff has been a total waste of money. The chances of dying in a car crash are several orders of magnitude higher than perishing in any way involving airplanes. Even in the pre and post 9/11 world, how many terrorist attacks were attempted or carried out with planes compared to other methods? Statistically speaking, it's a non-threat. But I get it, people are idiots. Stupid, scared imbeciles, who sacrifice their dignity and time for an illusion of safety. Feel free to disagree, o morons who don't know what you are talking about...
To be honest, I'd rather trust the FBI to arrest somebody before they could make trouble than trust the TSA to do the same at the airport. Cuz ya know, at least they be competent...

EDIT:
Just to be clear, I really don't mind metal detectors, just the unnecessary other stuff like full body scanners, random pat-downs (which I once had to endure for, I kid you not, wearing a baggy hoodie), and removal of shoes.

Svoboda4zizn

Nov 17, 2010
thethingthatlurks said:
To the best of my knowledge, the pre-flight security measures have never foiled a terrorist attempt. It was either due to intelligence agencies arresting the suspect well in advance, or by some passengers with balls the size of elephants disabling any would-be terrorists on the flight. So to put it bluntly, all of this security stuff has been a total waste of money. The chances of dying in a car crash are several orders of magnitude higher than perishing in any way involving airplanes. Even in the pre and post 9/11 world, how many terrorist attacks were attempted or carried out with planes compared to other methods? Statistically speaking, it's a non-threat. But I get it, people are idiots. Stupid, scared imbeciles, who sacrifice their dignity and time for an illusion of safety. Feel free to disagree, o morons who don't know what you are talking about...
To be honest, I'd rather trust the FBI to arrest somebody before they could make trouble than trust the TSA to do the same at the airport. Cuz ya know, at least they be competent...

EDIT:
Just to be clear, I really don't mind metal detectors, just the unnecessary other stuff like full body scanners, random pat-downs (which I once had to endure for, I kid you not, wearing a baggy hoodie), and removal of shoes.
thethingthatlurks you are absolutely right pre-flight security has never caught a terrorist in the past 10 or so years. Terrorist who make it to the airport have no trouble getting on a plane, screening is a nice show for the cameras nothing more!

in the hopes 1 person will read these
CDC report [http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/hhe/reports/pdfs/2003-0206-3067.pdf]
UCSF news article [http://news.ucsf.edu/news-briefs/details/ucsf-scientists-speak-out-against-airport-full-body-scans/]
UCSF letter [http://www.npr.org/assets/news/2010/05/17/concern.pdf]
or here if npr bugs out on you
UCSF letter Google doc [http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:RpteglBatgcJ:www.npr.org/assets/news/2010/05/17/concern.pdf+ucsf+letter+of+concern&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESi67LRsaEOQep8bd1s-23ZwuN9-J9DC-TfW0bhWurDD_NJHKdhywjLiU0gObaxcIxMgOE9dqVDK7uifQ3AJh5SN97T0qKlt9ZMJlX1W8PFYjti-bRXfcldJZ_qXOvM5lmK2LfCd&sig=AHIEtbTJQVimysgOLWVfR2bumlLHqivE3g]

Rabid Toilet

Mar 23, 2008
I vote we just give everyone a knife as they pass through security. That way, anyone who wants to try and take over the plane has to deal with a hundred armed people that don't want to die.

Sure, it wouldn't protect you from someone who just wanted to blow up the plane with a bomb, but, as other people have said, they could do that anywhere, even in line to get on the plane in the first place.

_Cake_

Apr 5, 2009
Both are way too much! It seems a little rape-y to me, I would never let a stranger touch me like that. What I`m wondering is if they are going to feel up children too? Cause they have to either feel up children too or the drug runners and terrorist will just use them.

TheLaofKazi

Mar 20, 2010
You can't go too far with precautions like this! Terrorism is, without a doubt, the number threat to everybody. It kills millions of people every day and isn't afraid of anything.

But no seriously. I always find it interesting how people can somehow be more scared of something that is, statistically speaking, so unlikely to happen to them. Cancer, diabetes, heart disease, suicide, poverty, starvation, drunk driving, non-terrorism related homicide, medical mistakes and lack of health care each kill Americans on their own then terrorism has. Yet despite this truth, we aren't nearly as scared of cigarettes and cheeseburgers then we are of terrorist. Ultimately, the enemy isn't some convenient, devious group of antagonists that we can crush with simple force, the enemy is going to be ourselves, and our tendency to blame other people for our problems.

Svoboda4zizn said:
thethingthatlurks said:

EDIT:
thethingthatlurks you are absolutely right pre-flight security has never caught a terrorist in the past 10 or so years. Terrorist who make it to the airport have no trouble getting on a plane, screening is a nice show for the cameras nothing more!

in the hopes 1 person will read these
CDC report [http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/hhe/reports/pdfs/2003-0206-3067.pdf]
UCSF news article [http://news.ucsf.edu/news-briefs/details/ucsf-scientists-speak-out-against-airport-full-body-scans/]
UCSF letter [http://www.npr.org/assets/news/2010/05/17/concern.pdf]
or here if npr bugs out on you
UCSF letter Google doc [http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:RpteglBatgcJ:www.npr.org/assets/news/2010/05/17/concern.pdf+ucsf+letter+of+concern&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESi67LRsaEOQep8bd1s-23ZwuN9-J9DC-TfW0bhWurDD_NJHKdhywjLiU0gObaxcIxMgOE9dqVDK7uifQ3AJh5SN97T0qKlt9ZMJlX1W8PFYjti-bRXfcldJZ_qXOvM5lmK2LfCd&sig=AHIEtbTJQVimysgOLWVfR2bumlLHqivE3g]
Thanks, I'm glad some other people share a similar opinion. I'll see if I can get around to reading those articles later.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
Didn't various airports and agencies in different parts of Europe prove that the new TSA guidlines do approx. fuck-all to improve safety?

While I understand the need for better methods, how about they think up ones that work instead of waste money.

Mathak

The Tax Man Cometh
Mar 27, 2009
January 2011: A terrorist attempts to blow up a plane using anally inserted explosives, which are not detected by enhanced pat-downs, nor by body-scanners.
Februari 2011: All passengers are now to submit to a full cavity search before each flight. Waiting lines quadruple as security checks take even longer. 'REMEMBER THE BUTTBOMBER!!!'
March 2011: A terrorist stops just in front of the security and blows up the entire damn line, killing the equivalent of about 40 airplanes. GG.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
These really feth up my plans to travel to the US to see friends of mine.
I'd end up hurting anyone who tried to touch me without my permission.
And that includes any security who want a legalised grope.
Of course, with a few words, I could have them on the floor, retching and emptying the contents of their stomach everywhere... they wouldn't want to touch one who is "corrupted by the devil", after all...

Apr 29, 2010
Julianking93 said:
Eh. I don't really care, honestly.

If it keeps someone from killing me on the plane, they can do whatever they want to me...

...that doesn't sound right <<
*slaps on the latex gloves* We're going to need you to come with us. Just a standard screening procedure. We promise it won't hurt too much.

OT: I haven't flown anywhere in well over a year, so I've yet to deal with these scans or pat downs. But, if I have to get one, then I don't really mind. Heck, I'll go for the scan. Seems less time-consuming. Also, as an added bonus, I'll go through the scan with a boner just to troll whoever's at the monitor.

white_salad

Aug 24, 2008
I find it a little ridiculous, but it's not something to complain about if you ask me. I'm a very physical person, I don't mind a bit of a feel up every time I fly. And for the full body scam, whatever. Mesa be no mindins.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Lilani said:
I think if you don't like full body pat downs, you shouldn't give them a reason to give you one. Be prepared--make sure you know what's in your pockets and try not to wear clothes that make you look like you could be hiding C4 canisters, or whatever those crazy bombers are using these days.
Mate, properly tailored, you can hide enough C4 inside your clothes/shoes to bring a plane down easily. And I mean INSIDE, not in a pocket. It's a very powerful explosive and you don't need much to bring a plane down, hell, a simple gunshot is quite a danger in a plane, any amount of explosive has a good chance of causing a crash.

Besides, when's the last time a plane was actually brought down? The whole fear in American airlines stems from the 9/11 and those weren't brought down, they were hijacked, two completely different things. You don't need explosive to hijack a plane.

ElTigreSantiago

Apr 23, 2009
Tohron said:
ElTigreSantiago said:
They'll complain, right up until the day that they or someone they care about is on a hijacked flight and die...
Plane crashes happen - if we do full body scans, intelligent terrorists will just slip something in the luggage (which continues to recieve only basic scanning), and the stupid ones will get caught much earlier when they begin acting suspiciously. Nothing can make us perfectly safe, but the fact is that right now, the average American's chances of dying in a terrorist attack are lower then the odds of getting struck by lightning... twice.

Airplanes are much safer then cars, but the government doesn't put cops at every major intersection to administer Breathalyzer tests to all drivers. This is all just theater - any terrorist worth taking seriously will bypass these stupid tests, and meanwhile thousands of people are having their privacy violated for nothing.

And people like you let them by throwing around attacks without doing a little reality-check.
I think you need to find a dictionary and look up the word "attack", my friend, because my post did not in any way qualify as one.

Just because they aren't catching terrorists red-handed doesn't mean it's not stopping them. Think of all the attacks that have been stopped simply because the terrorists found out about our security. They won't even attempt it anymore, and that should comfort us. I'm glad to get searched. It's worth the inconvienience if somebody's life is saved. Because if they slip up even once, that's a lot of people dead, helpless, with no chance.

Svoboda4zizn

Nov 17, 2010
ElTigreSantiago said:
Tohron said:
ElTigreSantiago said:
They'll complain, right up until the day that they or someone they care about is on a hijacked flight and die...
Plane crashes happen - if we do full body scans, intelligent terrorists will just slip something in the luggage (which continues to recieve only basic scanning), and the stupid ones will get caught much earlier when they begin acting suspiciously. Nothing can make us perfectly safe, but the fact is that right now, the average American's chances of dying in a terrorist attack are lower then the odds of getting struck by lightning... twice.

Airplanes are much safer then cars, but the government doesn't put cops at every major intersection to administer Breathalyzer tests to all drivers. This is all just theater - any terrorist worth taking seriously will bypass these stupid tests, and meanwhile thousands of people are having their privacy violated for nothing.

And people like you let them by throwing around attacks without doing a little reality-check.
I think you need to find a dictionary and look up the word "attack", my friend, because my post did not in any way qualify as one.

Just because they aren't catching terrorists red-handed doesn't mean it's not stopping them. Think of all the attacks that have been stopped simply because the terrorists found out about our security. They won't even attempt it anymore, and that should comfort us. I'm glad to get searched. It's worth the inconvenience* if somebody's life is saved. Because if they slip up even once, that's a lot of people dead, helpless, with no chance.
my post at the top of the page and my post on page three contain information that renders your position moot. The documents linked expose major questions about the safety of the scanners, and they are quite credible sources(CDC and UCSF).

Also attempts occur regularly plotted by both domestic and foreign terrorists, most are foiled by a three letter agency that isn't the TSA.

*you misspelled inconvenience i fixed it :p