Full sleeve tribal tattoo

Nerdygamer89

Dec 21, 2009
Hey all. I'm considering getting a full sleeve tribal tattoo very similar to this: http://www.checkoutmyink.com/tattoos/caliboy951/front-17

I'm fully aware of the fact that I'll be forced to wear long sleeve shirts at my job and any future jobs, but I don't really have a problem with that. I'm also aware of how expensive full sleeves can be, depending on where you go and who does it. My questions to those of you who have similar tattoos (sleeves of any kind, partial sleeves, etc) are, how expensive was it, where did you get it done, and what are some of the downsides to getting such tattoos other than the mentioned long sleeve shirts at work?

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
I'll just list a quick downside, it makes you look like a white supremacist. Not to mention you can't get hired at a decent white collar job with a tattoo like that.

Still it's your life. I'm only saying this so you really think about it before you get something that is irreversible.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
godofallu said:
I'll just list a quick downside, it makes you look like a white supremacist. Not to mention you can't get hired at a decent white collar job with a tattoo like that.
The whole point of sleeve tattoos is that they're covered by your average collared shirt, so your employers won't know anything about them. Just ask Mr. Rogers about his tats.

I think tribal tattoos can like hot on guys who are pretty muscled, ditto for nipple piercings. But it certainly doesn't scream relationship material. Tribal tats are so generic. It's the go to option for people who just want a tattoo, any tattoo.

I also don't know where the white supremacy comes in at all. Really, white supremacists with tribal tattoos?

Custard_Angel

Aug 6, 2009
Cons:
- Counts against you in many professions
- Will look like shit when you get older
- WAY overdone
- Makes you look like a poser toss rag
- Instantly give a bad impression to many people

Pros:
- SOME girls like that sort of thing

Revenge Revisited

The Doctor Called Me Special! :D
Dec 2, 2009
Hey that's the kind of tattoo I want to get! ^3^ Do people really have THAT much against tattoos? o_0

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
Dags90 said:
godofallu said:
The whole point of sleeve tattoos is that they're covered by your average collared shirt, so your employers won't know anything about them.

I think tribal tattoos can like hot on guys who are pretty muscled, ditto for nipple piercings. But it certainly doesn't scream relationship material. Tribal tats are so generic. It's the go to option for people who just want a tattoo, any tattoo.

I also don't know where the white supremacy comes in at all.
My little brother used to love to watch this show called gangland about prisoners. Tribal tattoos were like the calling card of white supremacists, almost everyone in the gangs had them.

As for the sleeve argument, I know a lot of banks and other white collar jobs that will not hire anyone with a tattoo. If you lie about it on the form and they find out, (and how could they not), it's grounds for termination.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
I wanted to get something like that, inspired by God Hand [http://lparchive.org/God-Hand/Images/1-godhanddj0.jpg].

But I couldn't find anything worthwhile without paying out the ass, so I got something else instead.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
godofallu said:
My little brother used to love to watch this show called gangland about prisoners. Tribal tattoos were like the calling card of white supremacists, almost everyone in the gangs had them.

As for the sleeve argument, I know a lot of banks and other white collar jobs that will not hire anyone with a tattoo. If you lie about it on the form and they find out, (and how could they not), it's grounds for termination.
Tribal tattoos are popular generally, they really aren't connected to gangs or white supremacists. Their generic nature is mentioned on urban dictionary[footnote]http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tribal+tattoo[/footnote], so you know it's legit.

What kind of employment forms ask about tattoos? I know people in all sorts of jobs with tattoos, as long as they aren't visible while at work they're considered to be fine. You cheeseheads are an odd sort.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
Be prepared to spend an shitload on it because there's nothing worse than living the rest of your life with a cheap tattoo. Every time you look at it you'll wince in disgust at every little mishap.

I got my better tats at Tropical Tattoo in Daytona Beach. Got my less spectacular one elsewhere.

My only real questionable thought with mine is when my sons show interest in them. They're still too young to understand tats and I don't really care for them growing up thinking they're a must have.

On others, tats are okay when they help define the individual. They suck when the person is just trying to hide behind/ under them. And for God's sake, keep it at least semi-themed if it's close together! Hell, even if it's entirely spread apart.

lemiel14n3

happiness is a warm gun
Mar 18, 2010
Will your tattoo also cup your nipple like that man's does?

Seriously dude, that much of a tattoo, bad idea. A little bit of ink looks cool, a lot of ink looks cool if it's widely and interestingly detailed. That one, makes you look like a douche bag.

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
Consider that you'll have that tattoo when your an old man or gain any weight(muscle or fat) and think about how it'll look then. Also consider that your personality will change over the years and you may not like it anymore. Lastly, it costs a lot of money to get a tattoo removed and even then there is still a shadow of it(sometimes anyway).

I like tattoos(in certain scenarios and on certain types of people) and may even get one later, but not a full sleeve.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Dags90 said:
godofallu said:
The whole point of sleeve tattoos is that they're covered by your average collared shirt, so your employers won't know anything about them. Just ask Mr. Rogers about his tats.

I also don't know where the white supremacy comes in at all. Really, white supremacists with tribal tattoos?
The typical sleeve tattoo is actually visible, unless you make a habit of wearing turtle necks.

As for OP, sleeves are expensive as sin and take about a month to finish. Even worse, you'll most certainly HAVE to find an actual tattoo ARTIST to do it (Not all Tattoo artist are ARTIST).

And I assume you have no tattoos at this point. Sleeves are HORRIBLE starting tattoos.

And a tribal tattoo? Really? Poser, anyone?

Dags90 said:
godofallu said:

Tribal tattoos are popular generally, they really aren't connected to gangs or white supremacists. Their generic nature is mentioned on urban dictionary[footnote]http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tribal+tattoo[/footnote], so you know it's legit.

What kind of employment forms ask about tattoos? I know people in all sorts of jobs with tattoos, as long as they aren't visible while at work they're considered to be fine. You cheeseheads are an odd sort.
They ask, on occasions, when short sleeve shirts are the standard. Usually, if you have them, its not something they'll refuse employment over: they'll just reiterate the fact that you better cover that stuff up.

EDIT: I just signed on for a job that asked me if I had tattoos. It was a casual question (Probably brought on because I was the first person in years to interview in a full suit). They asked if any where visible in a short sleeve shirt (They are not, by design). Even if they were, its a military contractor company, so they probably wouldn't care, as half of their prospective employees would fail such a requirement.

Nerdygamer89

Dec 21, 2009
A quick note about tribals being overdone: popular things are popular because people like them. There will always be a small fringe group doing it for "recognition" or some such thing, but by and large things are popular because they simply appeal to a lot of people, myself included in this case.

godofallu said:

You must be mistaken. I've never seen a white supremacist with a tribal tat, and we (unfortunately) have a bunch of skinheads in this town. It may have been something localized to a particular group because I've never even heard of that being the case.

As for employers FORCING you to divulge whether or not you have a tattoo, what country do you live in? Once again, in the US, I've never heard of such a policy despite having many tattoo'd friends working white collar jobs. That policy would be a huge invasion of privacy on top of being totally irrelevent if the tattoo isn't visible. IMO being subjected to such a policy would be grounds for a legitimate lawsuit. No offense, but I have to wonder if you're making stuff up at this point. Citation?

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
AccursedTheory said:
The typical sleeve tattoo is actually visible, unless you make a habit of wearing turtle necks.
Visible where? The neck? Not all sleeves go that high. Most I've seen don't. The only thing I could think of is it showing through a cheap shirt, but that's a good motivator to not buy shitty collared shirts.

Mr Thin

Apr 4, 2010
AccursedTheory said:
And a tribal tattoo? Really? Poser, anyone?
I wasn't going to say anything, but... yeah.

I understand it's a bit much to expect you are a member of whatever tribe the tattoo comes from, but do you have even the faintest idea what the tattoo is supposed to symbolise?

Or what it means? What you're supposed to go through or experience before you've earned it?

I think tattoos should mean something to the person wearing them. They can look cool - they should look cool - but based on what you've said (which, admittedly, isn't much, so I could be jumping to conclusions) you're only getting it to look tough.

Which would make you a poser.

Edit: I just read your comment about it. Fair enough, I suppose, but it still makes you look like a bit of a wanker.

Kortney

Nov 2, 2009
To be completely honest, I think tribal tattoos look ridiculous on anyone who isn't an Islander (Polynesian or Maori, ect). I believe you should have a connection to the culture you are representing. These things have symbolic meaning, they shouldn't just be put on you because you think they look cool. You would also be laughed at by Islanders. For certain.

But, if you like them, by all means full steam ahead. Go for quality though, don't like price deter you because if you go cheap everyone will know for the rest of your life.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Dags90 said:
AccursedTheory said:
Visible where? The neck? Not all sleeves go that high. Most I've seen don't. The only thing I could think of is it showing through a cheap shirt, but that's a good motivator to not buy shitty collared shirts.
Most sleeves I've seen extend to the very edge of where a shirt would go, which means, inevitably, every time your arms move they show.

Then again, I'm in the Army. This could merely be another symptom of the military's 'Do it big or don't bother' policy.