Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood: Story change point?

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
I've already seen the whole of the original series and to be honest I don't want to have to go through the same stuff with a few minor differences which is what I heard is most of the first part of Brotherhood. I'm wondering at which episode does the story actually become totally different and follow the manga?

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
You probably should watch it in its entirety. The first few episodes are new compared to the FMA. But I do believe, new content start from around Episode 10/15. So there's like 40+ episodes with material that wasn't shown in the original show.

But yeah, do yourself a favor, and watch them all. There might be a few details that you might end up missing or what's not. FMA:B is definitely a step up in every conceivable way for FMA.

Bezz_Ad

Apr 4, 2011
If I recall correctly, it completely changes almost from the beginning. I recommend starting from the beginning. Or from like, the 4th or 5th episode.

Ladette

Feb 4, 2011
I believe #14 is where it goes completely different (when they meet Greed), although i'd watch the first 13 episodes anyways because there are quite a few differences throughout. The first two episodes are more or less identicle to the first series.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
Flamezdudes said:
I've already seen the whole of the original series and to be honest I don't want to have to go through the same stuff with a few minor differences which is what I heard is most of the first part of Brotherhood. I'm wondering at which episode does the story actually become totally different and follow the manga?
The beginning is roughly the same but the timeline is all screwed up, the entire first season (13 episodes) of brotherhood is like two seasons (26 episodes) of the original.
You won't miss much, there's the small change in Lion - the scenery and a wee bit of the plot, you meet charaters later one or in different places/times, but I think you can start the second season right away if you've seen the first FMA.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
Captain Placeholder said:
Or don't watch it. I much prefered the actual Manga. It follows, from what I have seen, exactly where the anime does. Also it is much faster :D
It's exactly the same but if you're lazy you be better off with the manga. Besides, the soundtrack ,voice acting and awesome battles add value to the experience.

Wolfy4226

Sep 22, 2009
Alright, there are some minor differences between The first FMA and Brotherhood during the first few episodes, but the real pivoting point where they seperate is the encounter with Greed at the bar.

That's where the two definitively split paths and go separate ways.

rabidmidget

Apr 18, 2008
The story really changes at the laboratory 5 incident and is completely different from the first from that point on.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
You should watch the whole thing the first 5-8 have a lot of rehash. But so much of the first anime wasn't in the manga that you kind of need it to know the real story.

That said, I'd rather just read the manga again.

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
The first change happens around episode 14. But as others have said, you wanna watch all episodes because even if the story up to episode 14 is the same, it's told a bit different and with a different pace.

Also, the original series is better, IMO. Even though Brotherhood is closer to the Manga.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
rabidmidget said:
The story really changes at the laboratory 5 incident and is completely different from the first from that point on.
I didn't like how they treated Barry the Chopper in the original, I realized it when I saw his character in FMA:Brotherhood

Axelhander

Feb 3, 2011
cainx10a said:
FMA:B is definitely a step up in every conceivable way for FMA.
I'm not sure if I've ever read a more untrue statement in my life.

Brotherhood takes the bittersweet heart of the 2003 series and pads it in layers, and layers, and layers of wholly pointless dialogue. Approximately 90% of the lines don't need saying, and serve only to add artificial length to a show that already feels overlong.

The 2003 series had its moments of bloat, but was much tighter in scope, thoughtful in its dialogue, and truly heart-wrenching. The 2009 series is proof that sticking to the source material is not always in a work's best interests.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
cainx10a said:
I disagree so much that it hurts.

The original series dragged me in instantly, and kept me with it from start to finish, even through the not-so-stellar movie. The characters were well done, the humor was well placed and not overdone, and the narrative flow was amazing, not to mention how well it presented the tragedies that occurred.

Then I tried Brotherhood and had to quit after seven episodes because it was worse on every point I just made. It was just bad.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Carlos Alexandre said:
cainx10a said:
I'm not sure if I've ever read a more untrue statement in my life.

Brotherhood takes the bittersweet heart of the 2003 series and pads it in layers, and layers, and layers of wholly pointless dialogue. Approximately 90% of the lines don't need saying, and serve only to add artificial length to a show that already feels overlong.

The 2003 series had its moments of bloat, but was much tighter in scope, thoughtful in its dialogue, and truly heart-wrenching. The 2009 series is proof that sticking to the source material is not always in a work's best interests.
Apologies, but I'll take the conspiracy theory, bad ass fight scenes, the new characters (Alex <3), and the fact that my favorite character (Scar) survived over the first one.

And how were the dialogues exactly 'pointless'?

I am not saying the first one was dead awful, but I will definitely take the canon material over the 'spinoff' feel the first one took.

ZeroMachine said:
cainx10a said:

The original series dragged me in instantly, and kept me with it from start to finish, even through the not-so-stellar movie. The characters were well done, the humor was well placed and not overdone, and the narrative flow was amazing, not to mention how well it presented the tragedies that occurred.

Then I tried Brotherhood and had to quit after seven episodes because it was worse on every point I just made. It was just bad.
So you never bothered to stick around for the canon material? Well then, you are missing out. But I'll admit one thing, they rushed the 'original' content a bit too much, and the impact of a certain character's death felt a bit flat on its face.

Note: Compared to the first one, I enjoyed the character of Hohenheim better, as well as everything about the Homonculus, how they came to be, as well as their purpose. In the first one, I just couldn't care about Dante's purpose.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
At around ep 9 the new stuff starts. I love FMA so much!

Apr 8, 2010
ZeroMachine said:
cainx10a said:

Have to second believers post here. Pretty much every point you made is valid for the first 13 or so episodes. Fortunately though, everything gets better afterwards. Especially in terms of story delivery (and to some part the characterization) Brotherhood beats the first FMA.

So, give it a try.