fun difficult games

TheArcaneThinker

Jul 19, 2014
Runner 2 : Future legend of rhythm alien

I know the name is just awesome , just like the game. The game is fast paced so you die quite a few times.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
MarioKart?
At least online, since the amount of points you get depends on your opponents, it starts of relatively easy and as you get better and get a higher "level" it gets more difficult to increase the levelpoints.
Plus it's great fun :D

Aetherlblade

Mar 1, 2010
How about games like Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis or Victoria? Hard games both to learn and because its just plain hard, but once you learn how to do it, I think its one of the most satisfying types games ever made.

layne

Jun 14, 2013
I found Devil May Cry (1 and 3 in particular) as well as Resident Evil 4 to be fun and challenging games. I'll chime in with SMT: Nocturne, as well. The only thing is, since you indicated repetitiveness in your post, it can get repetitive here and there. It's the kind of game that has no problem letting you face bosses while being too low-level. And after dying repeatedly, sometimes the only option is to go back to previous areas and level up.

ugeine

Aug 6, 2009
I'm playing Dark Souls at the moment, and it's hard, but it doesn't seem half as difficult to me as Fifa 15. Trying to play on anything above world class mode seems nigh on impossible for me, and don't even get me started on ultimate team.

Though, I suppose Ultimate Team would be roughly comparable to Dark Souls PVP system, which I've never encountered yet, so I'm not sure if that's rock hard or not.

I'd add the latest football manager games as well, these days it seems that in order to play it you ideally need to have completed your UEFA Pro License.

The thing I love about Dark Souls' difficulty is that as it keeps throwing you at the same level until you complete it, so once you learn and adapt, it gives you the feeling that you're getting better at the game. In Sen's fortress, going from 'Oh, FFS, this is just ridiculous' to zipping back and forward through it like Indiana Jones on my way back to Anor Londo really makes you feel like you've accomplished something.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Super meat boy is the definition of this.
It gets crazy hard but the difficulty curve is so well crafted that you'll be ready for it.

SmallHatLogan

Jan 23, 2014
Dark Souls definitely. Super Meat Boy as well although I did eventually hit a wall where I just couldn't progress because I wasn't good enough (light world Cotton Alley and dark world Hell for anyone who's interested). The original Legend of Zelda is pretty tough but it's one of my favourites in the series.

Then there's also the rogue-likes/rogue-lites. The Binding of Isaac is tough as balls for the uninitiated. I've logged enough hours that I don't really find it difficult now but in the beginning it would kick my arse and I loved it. Spelunky is another one. Such a fun game. I'm pretty sure I have at least a couple dozen hours and still haven't even made it to hell yet. I also just recently started playing Ziggurat and am really enjoying it. It's kind of like Heretic meets Paranautical Activity.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
Rayman Origins is the hardest non-indie, AAA platformer I can think of at the moment. Boy is there a difficulty curve, but so much fun. Rayman Legends can be tricky in areas too, but Origins is definitely harder (especially with the time trials).

Rogue Legacy is pretty forgiving for a rogue-like, but without decent grinding, it's pretty difficult. Part of the fun aspect is the combinations and sense of growth (my first winner was Sir Glauber V the nearsighted paladin). They also patched in harder versions of the bosses, and holy sweet Christ on a STICK are they hard. You can't grind them (your level and abilities are locked at a pitiful level, and you deal chip-damage) and each took me a solid 1-3 hours of practice to beat. Alexander the 4th is a particular thorn in my side.

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
Hotline Miami

You and your enemies all die in one hit except for the very rare instances where you miraculously survive a single hit (don't count on it though). It's difficult and incredibly fun.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Sorry guys, as much as I like FTL, you cannot seriously recommend that game to somebody who is asking for 'challenging without being impossible'.

Some FTL games are simply impossible to win, due to the random generator dealing the player only bad cards sometimes and then you have to start a new game. You'll probably start many new games.

Now a game like Super Meatboy is all skill, no luck and hard on higher levels.

asdfen

Oct 27, 2011
DMC 3/4
Bayonetta
Fantasy Wars/Elven Legacy
Mirrors Edge if you do speedruns and other challenges
Giana Sisters
some realistic shooters
Operation Flashpoint: Red River
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 2
_
spec ops the line remember it being very nice challenge unlike most other tps
borderlands 2 / tps if you play solo

Sonic the Hedgehog (I remember spending the whole summer beating that one) and also a whole bunch of other really old games.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Someone already mentioned it, but yep, X-Com: Enemy Unknown. My first play through had, in my opinion, the perfect difficulty curve. It was tough without being impossible, and I never felt safe. No matter how good I was doing, I always knew that it would only take a bad mission or two for me to screw everything up, so it keeps you on your toes.