Fun Factor > Graphics. Who's with me.

TxMxRonin

Jan 1, 2009
I'm not sure if this thread has been done before but I was sitting in my room a few minutes ago playing Killzone 2 and had the urge to make this thread. Not because I think K2 has bad graphics or isn't fun, not's not it. I just want to know if there are any gamers out there like me who would take a game that fun and entertaining to play over a game that looks pretty?

Honestly, if graphics were enough to make me buy games then I'd have a PC capable of running Crysis maxed.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Gameplay will always beat factors like Graphics and Sound Design. If your game looks good but is unplayable, you have failed.. royally.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
I already pointed out that I still play with the Atari 2600 so it's safe to assume I don't care about graphics.

TxMxRonin

Jan 1, 2009
Alright, it's nice to see that there are actual gamers here. Everywhere else I go there are people like, "the graphics suck, the game sucks." or "I'm not buying that shitty looking game. Fix teh graficz." It's so frustrating to just try to talk to someone about a game and not have a single thing said about the graphics, or design or anything like that. But no, some waste of sperm comes in and starts ranting and raving about how the graphics look like crap and thus the game sucks according to them. You can try to shut them out but they just keep going on and on with it.

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
If you could afford a PC that could run crysis matched, you wouldn't be gaming, cause you'd have enough money to have a daily rutine of "snort coke, do hookers"

srsly, graphics have become awesome, and i really appreciate that, but still, good graphics are wasted if the game isn't fun.

It's just like with girls, if the really pretty, beautiful, hot girl is just too uninterresting/booring/dumb to spend more than 5 minutes with, then she's only good for looking at, I wouldn't date her. (not saying that hot girls can't be interresting fun and intellegent)

Roamin11

Jan 23, 2009
Actully thinkin bout it, [Prototype] is exactlly this case, so much fun, and the buildings look like blocks.......

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Agreed. A game should be fun first, followed by graphics.

Next thing you know they'll make games that play themselves and they'll be full blown movies.

Oh wait a second....

VitalSigns

May 20, 2009
teisjm said:
If you could afford a PC that could run crysis matched, you wouldn't be gaming, cause you'd have enough money to have a daily rutine of "snort coke, do hookers"

srsly, graphics have become awesome, and i really appreciate that, but still, good graphics are wasted if the game isn't fun.

It's just like with girls, if the really pretty, beautiful, hot girl is just too uninterresting/booring/dumb to spend more than 5 minutes with, then she's only good for looking at, I wouldn't date her. (not saying that hot girls can't be interresting fun and intellegent)
Everything you have said here makes me agree with and like you.

Vicious Hallway

Sep 21, 2008
Definitely on the gameplay > graphics side, although there is a point where I have to draw the line. If the graphics in a game are distracting me from the gameplay, then I have an issue with it (but then, distracting doesn't necessarily mean bad, just... poorly designed).

Zarthek

Apr 12, 2009
/support
I hate graphic heavy games, unless they also have a brilliant gameplay that SUPRASSES the graphic
In fact some of my favorite games are Quake 1, diablo 2, and zelda OoT/Majora's mask

Dys

Sep 10, 2008
teisjm said:

I like your analogy, so I'm going to run with it to make my point.

I won't avoid a game because it's got 'lesser' graphics, I love my older games like zelda or doom. That said, I think both said games look good. I tend to feel that, especially with modern games, bad graphics are lazyness on the part of the dev more than anything, and as such the game is likely to be lazy.

It's like teisjms girl, she might be somewhat fun or cool, but if she doesn't care and never puts any effort into anything, or if she comes across as lazy, I'll get bored of her. I'd rather have a girl that tries to hard to keep me interested (good graphics) than one who relies on my motivation to drive it on (typical of bad graphics). Obviously I'd like a balance between gameplay and graphics (or attitude/looks and personality), but given the choice I'll generally go pretty over ugly, unless the ugly has something significant to keep my interest or goes against the trend of being unfinished and uninspired..

Roamin11 said:
Actully thinkin bout it, [Prototype] is exactlly this case, so much fun, and the buildings look like blocks.......
The graphics in prototype, especially those in the cinematics, are rather good. No, it isn't crysis, but given the size of the game world and massive veiw distances with huge groups of people, they are good. They are about as good as the ps3 can handle for a ported game (I say the ps3 limits it because the xbox, more or less being a PC is easier to program for, not looking to start a flame war here but in multiplatform games I'd expect PS3 is going to be the bottleneck, I am not saying it is the worse console).

BlueTimberwolf

Oct 29, 2008
What defines a graphic to make it bad or good?

I have always seen this as a subjective thing but it seems to some people to be the degree to which the graphics seem life like. (Although I suppose that could be their own opinion too)

Personally I have always preferred the brightly coloured cartoonish style (TF2, wind waker) to the colour palette of life look.