Fun Unconventional Multiplayer

YCRanger

Jul 31, 2011
I don't consider myself much of an competitive multiplayer kinda guy. I get no enjoyment from killing people who I don't even know in an online match. However I do like the possibilities afforded by online multiplayer. Fat princess is a game I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of. So I was wondering, what are some games with unconventional multiplayer modes that you enjoy? For clarification I am going to define unconventional as something other than "point and shoot" multiplayer (Like COD). Perhaps something that emphasizes teamwork or other things that don't get a lot of attention by most multiplayer modes that would just have you run around a map killing other players.

Exhuminator

Oct 14, 2013
http://trine2.com/site/

Trine 2 has great co-op multiplayer, and its online capable too. Check it out for solving the physics puzzles with friends and unintentional laughs when things go wrong.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
Left 4 Dead's asymmetrical Versus mode.

Really good multiplayer experience with a heavy emphasis on teamwork. At the higher levels you will get totally destroyed without very tight play between your team of four.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Would Demons Souls count? Really like the online system of people posting hints and seeing their deaths.

It really does add more to the experience.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Hmm. I'm really liking the asymmetrical model. Natural selection 2 can be a bit like playing an Aliens game where you can play as both sides in the online. Then it also turns into starcraft when you hop into the commander booth. But your orders are pretty much suggestions. If your troops don't think you're doing a good job, they might just ignore you.

Quadocky

Aug 30, 2012
The few unconventional multiplayer things I remember were from TFC (and other Half-Life games) that involved either:

An Escape Scenario in which you worked with other players either by stacking on top of each other or solving puzzles together. Very VERY interesting because when it worked it felt like a really epic journey given your only method of attacking was using the umbrella or any weapon that was dropped nearby (VERY rarely though, with limited ammo for puzzle solving purposes mostly). Other maps included scenarios in which the teams would work against each other. Such as one team controlling the death traps, and the others trying to avoid dying by falling off the platforms.

Or

Jump Maps. Basically turning the game into a Multiplayer 3D platformer which required you to master VERY tricky jumps onto very very small objects. The payoff being some kind of slide at the end at the top. (traditionally, otherwise some maps would kinda just dumped you into some kind of 'winners circle' room)

Or

AdminOP which was a server side mod that was basically Garry's Mod but in the Half-Life engine. The ability to copy and paste entities and put them wherever allowed you to basically play legos and make all kinds of silly things like bases or slides or whatever. (Treated much like how Minecraft is treated today)

OR

lastly, 4 team multiplayer games. These are really hilarious because you may or may not have to make temporary truces and such. Then again, Pirates Knights and Vikings has 3 teams sooo kinda similar but with 4 teams its a bit more chaotic.

That is all I can think of as I have yet to see a multiplayer game based around these concepts as a stand-alone kind of thing (besides minecraft)

puff ball

Mar 14, 2011
i recommend the killing floor is a really fun multiplayer shooter, the different classes and fact that its coop and not competitive make it feel just different enough and fun enough to add it to this conversation, highly recommended.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I'm not sure if Assassins Creed multiplayer would count for everyone, but for me it is one of the best online modes.

Nothing better than getting massive points for hiding in that crowd of people and taking out your target, completely incognito. Same goes for tricking your pursuer and taking him out with a punch to the face.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Elfgore said:
I'm not sure if Assassins Creed multiplayer would count for everyone, but for me it is one of the best online modes.

Nothing better than getting massive points for hiding in that crowd of people and taking out your target, completely incognito. Same goes for tricking your pursuer and taking him out with a punch to the face.
I agree. I expected a mess, and I got a surprisingly fun, novel, possibly even unique multiplayer experience.
This is all assuming you don;t get the water heads who refuse to play correctly and run around trying to attack you for shits and giggles.

FrozenLaughs

Sep 9, 2013
You didn't clarify what platform?

Happy Wars is pretty fun, for a hack and slash, capture the enemy towers, quasi MOBA, and on XBL it's always been free.

Do you do any local multiplayer? The Worms series has always been a quirky play that usually leads to some form of living room violence in my house.

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
Sounds like you want more of a strategy game. Not sure if you would like a RTS like starcraft 2, a moba like league of legends or smite or an MMO style game which there are plenty of choices often F2P.

If you could give more details like what platforms you have or games you liked maybe.

Rob Robson

Feb 21, 2013
<--- Pointing to my avatar on this one.

Natural Selection 2, if you're wondering. It's basically Starcraft and Aliens vs. Predator, thrown in a blender, and out comes this awesomely hardcore and fast paced strategy/ FPS hybrid.

Honorable mention: No More Room in Hell. Similar to Left 4 dead, but actually about surviving rather than pwning tons of leather faces to the ground with impunity.

Edit: It's a bit sad that the two first games that came to mind as "unconventional" multiplayer games, are some of the few that actually requires teamwork. It's depressing, but teamwork has fallen to the wayside in online gaming.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Ever played on a multiplayer Minecraft server? They can be a blast.

Civilization 5 multiplayer if you don't mind games that take days to complete.

Orobas

Dec 9, 2010
I'm going to "third" Assassin's Creed here. It's the only game I know of where tricking another player into thinking you're an AI character is a practical strategy. For some reason I always wanted to do that as a kid.

Thebazilly

Jul 7, 2010
Elfgore said:

I agree. The Manhunt mode can be really fun. Sometimes you suck, and sometimes you're a killing machine. There's nothing quite as stressful as knowing two or three other people are sneaking up and trying to kill you. I like the new Wolfpack mode more, though, since it's cooperative versus AI opponents.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
Surf Maps in TF2/CS:S. There are several different kinds.

Standard: Surf about, try and find the secrets. Usually the closer you get to the end the better position you get in the jail when you finally fail. For reaching the end you usually get teleported to a position where you can shoot into the jail, but cannot be shot yourself. Sometimes reaching the end just sends you to the next, usually more difficult, surf section.

Race maps: Surf the ramps to the end and fight over the control point.

Arena: Surf about and kill. Usually the most boring.

For those unsure what surfing is or how to surf:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUT17eSHl-A