Fun With Microwaves

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I understand why you got Cam to the science bit. Once you sanitized the footage, it was only about 12 seconds of Paul cleaning the microwave. :)

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Not sure about Cam's theory on why marshmallows react how they do. I believe the inflation is largely due to the heating of the air inside the marshmallows, causing it to expand and inflate the size of the marshmallow. Of course, there's probably some interaction with the sucrose, but I don't think it's the main factor here?

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong - I'd be interested to know the science behind it!

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
Science! And people say that you can't learn anything from the internet.

Also, was it just me or did it look like that pink covered marshmallows were breading?

-M

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
TheBobmus said:
Not sure about Cam's theory on why marshmallows react how they do. I believe the inflation is largely due to the heating of the air inside the marshmallows, causing it to expand and inflate the size of the marshmallow. Of course, there's probably some interaction with the sucrose, but I don't think it's the main factor here?

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong - I'd be interested to know the science behind it!
Air does not absorb microwave radiation, as Cam has noted. Also, as I understand it, marshmallow fluff has no air pockets, yet it expanded in the same way.

Daeggreth

Oct 22, 2009
Oh wow. Cam succeded in a way that no teacher/prof of mine has ever done. I already knew the science behind microwave ovens and he still managed to make it interesting for me. Bravo good sir.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
I just wanted to waste time watching videos on the internet. And now I learned some science. WHYYYYYY?

Pariah164

May 9, 2008
I learned Cam is left-handed. Intriguing.

I do so love it when videos make me learn something. Came for lulz, stayed for SCIENCE.

salinv

Mar 17, 2010
Daeggreth said:
Oh wow. Cam succeded in a way that no teacher/prof of mine has ever done. I already knew the science behind microwave ovens and he still managed to make it interesting for me. Bravo good sir.
I was just about to say the exact same thing. Damn ninja.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
IT'S ALIVE!!!
No, but really, red marshmallows were creepy

Also
"It will, however, cook you if you're dumb enough to stand there long enough"
What? No superpowers? Awww :(

P.S. Why there are almost 2min of nothingness in the end?

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
necromanzer52 said:
I learned more from this video, than from 3 years of chemistry classes.
Heh, I knew a lot of this stuff already, but Cam is definitely better at explaining things than the jerkwad that was my chemistry teacher.