Funky comp issue I'd like to fix

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
Oh man, it's been a forever and a half since I posted here, but I need you guy's help. I'm horrible at when computers go wrong. I just know basics.
Alright so this is what my computer says:
OS name: Microsoft Wind 7 Pro
Version: 6.1.7601
Other OS Des: Not Available
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: HP Elitebook 8740w
System type x64-based PC
Processor Intel Core i7 CPU Q 740 @1.73GHz, 1734Mhz, 4 cores,8
RAM 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7.93 GB
Available Phy Memory 5.39GB
Total Virtual Memory 15.9 GB
Avalible Virtual Memory 12.0 GB
Page file space 7.93 GB
Hope that's what you'd need. Okay so one more thing before my problem. My computer runs hot. I bought stand with three cooling fans, and make sure the side vent has plenty of room to air out, but still the thing is a touch hotter than I like. I mention this as I think it has something to do with my problem.

When playing Mass Effect one I can go for a bit all fine (45 minutes..hour maybe?) but then WHAM computer cuts to black and shuts off. I have it attached to a power cord. So I'll restart it....okaaaaa Shuts down to black. I like it "air out" for a minute or so and it turns on and it's fine. But this used to not be a problem. Less than a week ago I used to play just fine but all of a sudden it feels like it's getting too hot and shutting down abruptly. But it seems like it's just mass effect. Goes right to black, no error message or bluescreen of death, just...black. When I restart it shows the normal improper shutdown screen, but not some error screen.

So any idea what the deal is? Is my computer got a bug that causes shut downs when I play games or is that the blasted thing is too hot and I should look into a better cooling stand?

Thank you for looking at this. I bet the answer is easy but I'm terrible when the problem deals with technical computer issues.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Hmm, it could be a temperature issue. Or it could be something else - it's a bit hard to tell. I guess a start would be is it getting too warm? Does it feel really hot on touch? Usually you can touch the keyboard and if it's uncomfortably hot...well, it's probably that. Or try the fan exit - if the air blowing out is well above body temperature (though, it won't really be uncomfortable), it's probably a problem.

You can also try some temperature monitoring software - I use SpeedFan and it's OK. Dunno if there are other good/easy to use programs but there probably are, just can't give you recommendations. At any rate, you can open the software and try to keep an eye on the temperature - if you're getting consistently above 80-85C (176-185F) the laptop might shutdown. I can't remember what the usual temperature when it does so is, though, but it's something like 90-95C (194-203F) I believe. It's probably a good idea to enable logging of the temperature, so even if the PC shuts down, you'll be able to open the log and see what the readings were just before

Now, assuming you've got a heating issue, the best thing you can do is open up and clean the laptop. If you're not sure how, there are guides on the Internet, or just bring along a friend who is into this. You generally just need a screwdriver and some patience. After you open it up, clean the fan and heatsink from the dust that is probably gathered there. Also, check if the fan is moving normally - just spin it by hand and hopefully if would work - if you feel some resistance, grease it. That should take care of heating issues, normally.

Erm, last but not least, I guess - before all that, just try removing the battery and running the machine on just a power cord. Sometimes a faulty battery may cause the laptop to shutdown even when plugged in. It's a fast and easy test to make - just play without a battery. The immediate shutdown may suggest this is the case - if the laptop overheats, you could get a blue screen - not always, but it's not uncommon.

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
DoPo said:
Thanks man! Okay I'll try that tomorrow. I had a feeling it could be the battery but I got it replaced like two months ago but...I had a feeling it was going to be trouble.

And I think it was time I brought out some compressed air and cleaned it up. Because yeah, it'll get pretty darn hot. Like..once it turned a heresy kiss into a puddle of chocolate.

AWAR

Nov 15, 2009
Kuchinawa212 said:
May I suggest an alternative to speedfan, CPUID HWmonitor. It records the maximum temperatures reached so you don't have to alt-tab when you are running a game. Your processor's maximum operating temperature is 100c however it shouldn't run hotter than 75-80c

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
I'm gonna second what's already been said, this sounds like a temperature issue.

Either of the options posted above are good for measuring temperatures, as yet another alternative you can also try CPU-Z. It doesn't have the capabilities of the other two, but it is really small!