Funniest movies

Marcus McLean

May 12, 2010
This doesn't get discussed enough. Normally when people talk about their favourite funny movies they don't make how funny it isthe primary factor in why it's their favourite, and list it because of some other quality or personally significant reason, so these lists are rarely what people think are the funniest.

For instance, look at IMDb's top 100 'comedy' films. Almost any film where a character makes a couple of jokes gets marked with a 'comedy' tag, so the top comedies are lots of Chaplin, Dr. Strangelove, Toy Story 3, The Lion King, Life Is Beautiful etc. C'mon, that last one is a holocaust movie! Charming as hell, but not a side-splitter.

See, any film with characters we are meant to latch on to should have at least some humour, it's almost as important as the film having conflict. It's a vital element. Shawshank has it, Schindler's List has it, The Dark Knight has it.

[TL;DR]
Getting to the point, what are the funniest films you've seen? I'll kick off with mine.

Monty Python & The Holy Grail - imo THE funniest film ever made.

Monty Python: And Now For Something Completely Different

The Naked Gun - Great series, though the TV show was even funnier.

Kung Fu Hustle - Hilarious AND a fantastic martial arts movie. Awesome!

Animal House - Anyone who's been to college will find it great.

Evil Dead 2 & Army Of Darkness - So funny and great horror films. Perfect date movies!

Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back - had to have Kevin Smith on here.

Ace Ventura - I don't know how...but this DOES hold up.

Blazing Saddles - Mel Brookes' funniest film.

Robin Hood: Men In Tights - Mel Brookes' second funniest.

Not Another Teen Movie - DON'T associate this with the other awful spoof movies. It's written by other people and they NAIL the parodies of the teen movies they do. This movie deserves to be given a chance.

WHAT ARE YOURS? :O

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Amélie: Very funny, very sweet movie.
Scott Pilgrim vs. The Word: I dunno about you, but I laughed throughout this entire movie.
In Bruges: One of the best black comedy films I've ever seen.
Pitch Perfect: Not out yet, but one of the most offensive PG-13 movies ever. And utterly hilarious from start to finish.

Let's just go with those ones. I can think of a bunch of other funny movies, but none as funny/must-watch as these.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Well with In Bruges, Naked Gun and Blazing Saddles being named already, there goes my top 3.

Now there'll be plenty more than this one as well, but I shall just say Black Dynamite.

DYNOMITE! DYNOMITE!

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
My Favorites tend to be the really dark or fucked up ones like Bad Santa, Death to Smoochy, just about any of the Jay and Silent Bob movies (Strike Back particularly) and Eight Heads in a Duffel-bag.

Instant K4rma

StormFella
Aug 29, 2008
Call me twisted, but I find American Psycho to be incredibly funny. Easily one of my favorite movies. Christian Bale absolutely sells it.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Here's a shortened list of the movies I find funny:

Office Space
Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story
Naked Gun (the first two)
I Love You Man
Forgetting Sarah Marshall
This is Spinal Tap
The Big Lebowski

There are probably at least 4-5 others that should be on this list but I'm having a hard time remembering.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
I actually liked Hot Shots! for all their blatant parody and sheer over-the-top exaggeration of everything. Monty Python and the Holy Grail was mentioned, of course. Well, honestly, anything with John Cleese in it...ah yes, A Fish Named Wanda, that was a good comedy too.

Am not a comedy fan in general though, most of them are stale and unfunny.

R4ptur3

Feb 21, 2010
The Inbetweeners movie was pretty damn funny.
Hot fuzz
The Hangover
Snatch because of ze germanz.
pulp fiction had some good bits in it.

Bit of a mixed bag there haha. I don't watch many pure comedy films though because as vegosiux has said most of them are pretty bland.

yuval152

Jul 6, 2011
Stan helsing, or everything that has leslie linson in it.

Austin powers.

Spaceballs.

Scott pilgrim vs the world.

Zombieland, there's alot more but I can't remeber.

Lady Lucky

Bullet Dodger
Sep 4, 2012
The History of the World Part 1
(great Mel Brooks movie)

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

Kick Ass
(maybe I'm twisted, but I thought that movie had it's moments)

Dethenger

Jul 27, 2011
Andy Shandy said:
Well with In Bruges, Naked Gun and Blazing Saddles being named already, there goes my top 3.

Now there'll be plenty more than this one as well, but I shall just say Black Dynamite.

DYNOMITE! DYNOMITE!
DYNOMITE! DYNOMITE! [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AnhjdmrUmU]

Have you seen the new animated series of Black Dynamite? It's amazing.

J-dog42

Aug 1, 2010
For me Anchorman will always be one of the top on my list. The Airplane movies also feature very high. Monty Python of course. It doesn't matter which one, they are all hilarious, although The Holy Grail is probably my favourite. The Hangover and the The Inbetweeners also get a mention for plain, dumb hilarity. There's probably more but that's all my sleep deprived brain can remember right now.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Erja_Perttu said:
No one has mentioned Airplane yet? Surely you can't be serious!
Same goes for Ghostbusters - for shame, people.

And don't call me Shirley.

JdA

Nov 8, 2010
Blues Brothers
Spaceballs / Blazing Saddles / Young Frankenstein
The Muppet Movie / The Muppets
Buried (seriously, it might have been set up as a thriller, there's some very dark comedy at it's heart)
Wet Hot American Summer

Twyce

Mostly a Lurker
Apr 1, 2009
All previous ones listed are great!

I'd like to add:

Mystery Science Theater 3000 (So many, take your pick!)