Funny and bizarre facts

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
* The children's novel Sluta mygla, kommunalrådet! ("Stop embezzling, Mr. councillor!") can be found in bookshelves on display in IKEA stores in Sweden, the USA, and Australia.

* According to the state-controlled media of China, Gangnam Style has a divine melody.

Now you tell me some bizarre fact.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
In Singapore, prostitutes are hired by the government, so they are technically government workers.

Rose and Thorn

May 4, 2012
TizzytheTormentor said:
The friend-zone doesn't exist
Sure it does, to me the friend zone is when, lets say a man meets a woman.
-The woman finds him attractive and the man also finds her attractive.
-The man does something that completely puts off any attraction the woman has towards the man.
-Thus, he is put into her friend-zone without being able to come back.

It could be that ONE thing you dislike in another, or a big pet peeve. Like if you dislike smokers. You might fine a sexy man or handsome woman you see desirable, but instantly put them in a friend like zone once they pull out a cigarette.

Yeah?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Rose and Thorn said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
The friend-zone doesn't exist
Sure it does, to me the friend zone is when, lets say a man meets a woman.
-The woman finds him attractive and the man also finds her attractive.
-The man does something that completely puts off any attraction the woman has towards the man.
-Thus, he is put into her friend-zone without being able to come back.

It could be that ONE thing you dislike in another, or a big pet peeve. Like if you dislike smokers. You might fine a sexy man or handsome woman you see desirable, but instantly put them in a friend like zone once they pull out a cigarette.

Yeah?
Well...if by "friend zone" you mean something totally different to the usual definition of "friend zone"...pushing it a bit though.

Rose and Thorn

May 4, 2012
thaluikhain said:
Rose and Thorn said:
snipppppppp
Well...if by "friend zone" you mean something totally different to the usual definition of "friend zone"...pushing it a bit though.
But, wikipedia says
:where one person wishes to enter into a romantic relationship, while the other does not.
:Once the friend zone is established, it is said to be difficult to move beyond that point in a relationship.

What is the usual definition of the friend zone? I am honestly curious. I hear about it but never get into those kind of conversations usually.

I mean anything other then what I mentioned would just be, he is into her, but she isn't into him, therefore she says, "well we can be friends...", all the while he is still trying to woo her, and that certainly exists.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
TizzytheTormentor said:
The friend-zone doesn't exist *huge gasp*
The friend zone exists, it's just overused by antisocial 9Gag'rs

Example, a friend of mine just got friend zoned. He met this girl at a party, and they hung out a couple times in large groups, and my friend started to like her. But when he asked her out she said she liked him as a friend.

If that's not being friend zoned, I don't know what is

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
TizzytheTormentor said:
The friend-zone doesn't exist *huge gasp*
I don't know how true the gaming ones are, but they are still interesting!
You REALLY had to start this?
REALLY?
Bringin up the friendzone?
Yeah, you deserve the fire coming your way.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Making an atomic bomb is fairly easy. The problem is obtaining the Uranium-235.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Mr. Goldchain said:
During the average human life, you will consume 70 assorted bugs as well as 10 spiders as you sleep.
And a 2 second google search proves that this is utter bullshit

http://www.cracked.com/article_16241_the-6-most-frequently-quoted-bullsh2At-statistics.html

http://www.burkemuseum.org/spidermyth/myths/whileyousleep.html

Dire Sloth

Filthy Casual
Jun 23, 2012
Dogs are color-blind, but they don't see black and white. They see (I think) shades of blue and yellow, so if you were to throw a red ball into the green, freshly cut grass, your puppy might have a hard time finding it. Buy a blue ball next time.

Dire Sloth

Filthy Casual
Jun 23, 2012
MetalDooley said:
Mr. Goldchain said:
During the average human life, you will consume 70 assorted bugs as well as 10 spiders as you sleep.
And a 2 second google search proves that this is utter bullshit

http://www.cracked.com/article_16241_the-6-most-frequently-quoted-bullsh2At-statistics.html

http://www.burkemuseum.org/spidermyth/myths/whileyousleep.html
It scares me that you only bolded the spiders half of that.
Oh god I don't want to eat bugs...

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Dire Sloth said:
It scares me that you only bolded the spiders half of that.
Oh god I don't want to eat bugs...
Haven't you ever accidently swallowed a bug while walking/cycling?It's pretty common so I imagine that the figure of 70 in a lifetime isn't far off the mark

The reason I only bolded the spider part is because that's the part that's nonsense

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Mr. Goldchain said:
Hahaha! You silly person! Why would I wait until I'm asleep?

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
Guffe said:
The Whale is not a fish, it's acutally a mammal (or however you spell that)
I still can't believe people don't know this. Live birth is a (general/one of many) staple(s) of being a mammal. Breathing air kinda makes them not fish, also. It's an early grade-school lesson.

Anyway...

Most books made before the 1850's you find are probably in much better condition than those made after, as acid paper wasn't used before then. It became much cheaper to use acidic paper, so most books now degrade quite quickly.

It is really kind of fascinating to put two books side-by-side and see the difference. The feel is also quite different.

Also, another obvious one, keep books out of the sun.

And on a gross note... those people that love the smell of old books? They're smelling book dust. Which is degraded paper, acid, glue, dead bugs, mold, mice droppings, and dead human skin. That's the coctail that produces that "lovely" smell.

Books are disgusting, people. I scrub my hands many times a day.

tseroff

Jun 8, 2009
Pretty well-known fact: Alexander Hamilton was killed in a duel with Aaron Burr.

Slightly lesser-known (and disputed)fact: Hamilton did not want to kill Burr, so he fired his pistol into the air.

Pretty obscure fact that may illuminate the situation: The pair of dueling pistols involved belonged to Hamilton. Of these pistols, both of which are still intact and owned my JPMorgan Chase, one is a hair-trigger pistol. It is possible that there was a misfire which caused the pistol to fire earlier, but one theory (the one I support) is that Hamilton was nervous and pulled the trigger too soon. (These pistols had a long warm-up time, which could last up to two or three seconds without a hair-trigger, so he wouldn't have been used to it.)

Did I mention I'm studying to be a historian?