Funny Events of the "Woke" world

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I don't think Larry Elder has changed an opinion in decades.
Well.... that's actually pretty true. I think a decade ago he still would have been a part of the Cali Republicans but he would have been hard pressed to be the leader

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Welcome to Woke world where people celebrate the death of a baby under the belief said baby might grow up to vote republican

Well that’s just fucking tasteless.

On the scale of a person's lifetime, that isn't even true. I don't know the numbers off the top of my head, but I would take a guess the average person spends a good bit more on food in their life than healthcare.
No one spends $50,000 every three weeks to feed their family unless they live in Zimbabwe. Jesus Christ man you are smarter than that.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Everyone needs to show their gender cards before they could use the appropriate bathroom
No just have made some effort at social transitioning.

I don't understand why a person who would have a gender change just to rape people wouldn't go the extra step and get the card that makes it possible. Getting the card is so much easier than a gender transition
1) Some pretty bad individuals would but the important factor is
2) Under the idea of self identifications laws a persons say so is all that's needed regardless of any evidence (or lack there of) social transitioning. Thus a bald headed guy with a full beard could walk in and declare they're female and no-one can challenge that claim without facing accusations of transphobia and the location facing potential legal actions over any attempt to challenge them. Also given gender fluid identities some-one could walk in identify as a female then walk out and go back to identifying as male. No card needed, no proof needed, no effort needed.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
On the scale of a person's lifetime, that isn't even true. I don't know the numbers off the top of my head, but I would take a guess the average person spends a good bit more on food in their life than healthcare.
In the UK, apparently, the average person spends £45/week on food, which is £2300 per year, suggesting the total annual expendure of the UK population on food is ~£150 billion. Total UK health expenditure, however, is estimated over £200 billion. So this suggests that in fact the average person spends more on healthcare than food.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Total UK health expenditure, however, is estimated over £200 billion. So this suggests that in fact the average person spends more on healthcare than food.
I reckon healthcare costs are spread much less evenly than food. And they are. 10% of the population accounts for 70-80% of total healthcare expenditure.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Well, there's also the physical differences between sexes. Although I suppose women could have a go at using urinals.
Have both urinals and stalls in a unisex bathroom. Problem solved.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
That is almost never going to happen lol.

Dudes have probably had women come into their toilets before at least once especially if there's a large queue at the womens. I've seen it before and the normal reaction is everyone looking and then when they say there's a big queue at the women's all the dudes go basically go "Yeh go ahead no issue"
Lots of places already have unisex bathrooms without issue, so it's not true at all that it's never going to happen. It already does.

And regarding the rest: I'm glad you have anecdotal evidence that you haven't seen bad stuff happen, but that's not really very compelling. You're not the victim of it. It happens.

Problem with Unisex is mostly they work in public locations that have some level of monitoring going on or people easily at hand so less reliant on public reporting. Or they are all cubicles and self contained spaces which while cool it does somewhat reduce the efficiency of things and with less stalls it can really hold things up.
Have both stalls and urinals. Problem solved.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
No one spends $50,000 every three weeks to feed their family unless they live in Zimbabwe. Jesus Christ man you are smarter than that.
Read Agema's response. He got what I was saying.
In the UK, apparently, the average person spends £45/week on food, which is £2300 per year, suggesting the total annual expendure of the UK population on food is ~£150 billion. Total UK health expenditure, however, is estimated over £200 billion. So this suggests that in fact the average person spends more on healthcare than food.
That's a surprisingly low number. Americans spend something like double that on food, so my comment actually works over here.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
That's a surprisingly low number. Americans spend something like double that on food, so my comment actually works over here.
Buy Americans also spend significantly more on healthcare.

On a side note, it's funny how the unfettered capitalism hasn't actually resulted in lower prices or better quality. I thought that was the point of it? Competition driving down prices and driving up quality? That's what we were sold, anyway.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Lots of places already have unisex bathrooms without issue, so it's not true at all that it's never going to happen. It already does.

And regarding the rest: I'm glad you have anecdotal evidence that you haven't seen bad stuff happen, but that's not really very compelling. You're not the victim of it. It happens.
Well from personal experience most Unisex toilets tend to be self contained pods or in very public places often somewhat monitored ones or with people very close by and close later on in the evening if not earlier.

Have both stalls and urinals. Problem solved.
Would probably fall under UK sex discrimination act that all facilities in a toilet must be useable by all those who use it under normal circumstances.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Would probably fall under UK sex discrimination act that all facilities in a toilet must be useable by all those who use it under normal circumstances.
It doesn't. I've been to several places with unisex toilets featuring urinals and stalls, including clubs and my old campus.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

So Fortnite's MLK education event is going well

It doesn't. I've been to several places with unisex toilets featuring urinals and stalls, including clubs and my old campus.
That may be something relating to converting existing facilities.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
2) Under the idea of self identifications laws a persons say so is all that's needed regardless of any evidence (or lack there of) social transitioning. Thus a bald headed guy with a full beard could walk in and declare they're female and no-one can challenge that claim without facing accusations of transphobia and the location facing potential legal actions over any attempt to challenge them. Also given gender fluid identities some-one could walk in identify as a female then walk out and go back to identifying as male. No card needed, no proof needed, no effort needed.
Okay? And?
Regardless of gender identity, creeping on people is gonna get you thrown out and assaulting people is illegal.

Like, Ireland's been using self-id for 6 years now and your nightmare scenario hasn't manifested over there. It's the "gays assaulting boys in bathrooms" argument of yesteryear

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
On a side note, it's funny how the unfettered capitalism hasn't actually resulted in lower prices or better quality. I thought that was the point of it? Competition driving down prices and driving up quality? That's what we were sold, anyway.
I mean, we do have better food than the UK. I don't think that's capitalism, though, I think just about everywhere on earth has that.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Okay? And?
Regardless of gender identity, creeping on people is gonna get you thrown out and assaulting people is illegal.

Like, Ireland's been using self-id for 6 years now and your nightmare scenario hasn't manifested over there. It's the "gays assaulting boys in bathrooms" argument of yesteryear
Ah yes because the people who will do this wouldn't possible wait for a quiet spot and being able to be in the toilets say pretending to wash hands or get stuff out of a machine or dry a hands or fidgeting for something in their bag doesn't help tell them when it's a quiet time. Also pretty sure Ireland uses social transition standards rather than pure self I.D.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I mean, we do have better food than the UK. I don't think that's capitalism, though, I think just about everywhere on earth has that.
Are you joking? The plastic cheese, the bread injected so full of high-fructose corn syrup that it's sweet rather than savoury, the FDA-approved levels of insect fragments that are acceptable in supermarket produce, the poultry washed in chlorine... really?

English food is garbage, but I'd take it almost any day over the high-blood-pressure-in-a-can that is US food. Though... to be perfectly honest, neither of our cuisines are admirable.

((For my money, the best food in Europe IMO comes from Italy & France, with an honourable mention going to Greece. My favourite cuisine globally is Thai. I think Thai food absolutely rocks)).

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Are you joking? The plastic cheese, the bread injected so full of high-fructose corn syrup that it's sweet rather than savoury, the FDA-approved levels of insect fragments that are acceptable in supermarket produce, the poultry washed in chlorine... really?
Those are not the things driving up the average food expense.

Edit: I prefer Greek out of your list of preferences. Which is basically who runs all the diners in America.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
For my money, the best food in Europe IMO comes from Italy & France, with an honourable mention going to Greece. My favourite cuisine globally is Thai. I think Thai food absolutely rocks
I think we need to distinguish between food quality and cuisine.

Like, the US has a really interesting national cuisine, it's such a combination of different cultural groups that you end up with a lot of really interesting and varied regional food. What the US really lacks is food quality, at least in terms of what you buy in a supermarket and how much you pay for it.

France has incredibly high food quality, but I personally think French cuisine is incredibly overrated. France has such a strong national food culture, and has been so influential on international food culture that I think people tend to overlook that French cuisine is actually not terribly exciting.

I think the main advantage of Britain is that Britain doesn't really have a national cuisine or traditional food culture at all. Even "traditional" British cuisine was mostly just invented in the nineteenth and early 20th century, and we all kind of know that it's bad, so we eat other things instead.