Funny Events of the "Woke" world

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I have my doubts Pelosi is that savvy. She's paid not to be.
Pelosi is many things, lots of them not very good or beneficial to the left. But she's a competent and experienced political tactician.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Pelosi is many things, lots of them not very good or beneficial to the left. But she's a competent and experienced political tactician.
Yeah, it's important to remember that Nancy Pelosi knows exactly what she's doing

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Yeah, it's important to remember that Nancy Pelosi knows exactly what she's doing
Yeah, like strongly backing an anti-choice candidate in a primary campaign, making it clear to everyone that supporting the destruction of Roe v Wade is not as important as supporting oil, voting with republicans, or having the back of someone caught up in an investigation into Azerbaijani corruption.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Oh please, this thread was already derailed the moment Critical changed its name to something stupid, as a "counterbalance" to the anti-woke thread.
I never intended the anti-woke world thread to be a permanent, ongoing fixture, I just started it to discuss one particular thing. But it evolved, and I'm fine with that.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I never intended the anti-woke world thread to be a permanent, ongoing fixture, I just started it to discuss one particular thing. But it evolved, and I'm fine with that.
Your thread is at least useful and more than helpful. This thread here is nothing, but a big fat joke. The "Woke" thread started off as whiny fit over some dumb game jurno complaining, because a small group of developers are all white. Not something worth making a thread over, and something that should have gone into gaming news or article thread. He only changed to woke afterward to make it have "relevance", and not look like a big waste of everyone's time.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010

Satanists won't be able to teach their religion in schools in Queensland. Apparently a religious group made just to highlight issues with religious groups isn't a real religious group.

Reactions: Hawki

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States

Satanists won't be able to teach their religion in schools in Queensland. Apparently a religious group made just to highlight issues with religious groups isn't a real religious group.
Yeah, funny as those lawsuits are, they never actually win

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Blizzard created a tool to quantify diversity well more King and MIT

If you're Swedish you get 0 points for cultural representation.
Brazilian gets you 3
Egyptian gets you 7

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Which is in itself hilarious because the examples of ridiculous wokeness in this thread are mostly nobodies on social media saying questionable things. Conservatives don't know what to do with themselves if they're not complaining.
Um the Anti-Woke world has thread has had 30+ posts about random witter Q-anon people............

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia

Brazilian gets you 3
Egyptian gets you 7
You know, as someone who's been writing stories as a hobby since the age of 7, posted stories online since the age of 16, edited wikis since round about the age of 17, and who's done creative writing courses...this really, REALLY irritates me. The idea that you could even quantify any of this.

First, even by the criteria applied, it's debatable in some cases. I'm not even sure how Arab is a "race" (this seems like a uniquely American obsession), and of all the lore seen in Overwatch, there's nothing that's indicated Ana's socio-economic status, EVER. If anything, middle-class seems too high since after losing her eye, she spent most of her time on the run.

Second, it's spelt "Moral," not "Morale," you twats. Morale is how motivated someone is, moral is morality. If you're going to quantify this stuff, at least get the spelling right.

Third, I can't help but reflect on all the ways the system could be gamed, or if criteria was chosen, how. For instance, let's take Orisa. Her age is 1 month (but she's a robot), her body type is physically impossible for a human, and her culture (which seems to be nationality, but whatever) is Numbanian. So does Numbani have its own value assigned to it, or is it folded under Nigerian? Or if we're still talking about culture, take Pharah, who has an Egyptian mother and indigenous Canadian father. So, do the values get stacked, or is only one chosen? What about when the nationality is unknown? You could make a case for Winston being Chinese given his background, yet also Swiss given the same background, but neither have ever been specified. Does Zenyatta count as Nepalese since the Shambali are based in Nepal, or is he disqualified since he's an omnic? And how do you quantify Echo? Does she count as Singaporean because she's based on Mina Liao? Or are there too many degress of difference? If there are, what's her nationality, because there really is "nothing" for her. Or if we're talking about disabilities, is Sojourn disabled because of her cybernetic implants? If so, why, considering that they give her special abilities?

Fourth, again, how is this even quantified? Take ethnicity. At last count, there's over 6000 recognized ethnicities in the world, are there 6000 independent values? If there aren't, then why do only some ethnicities count, and if there are, I'm curious as to how each of them was quanitified. What happens when the character's nationality is identifiable, but the culture is fictional? For instance, Junkrat and Roadhog are explicitly Australian, but their culture is the Junkers, and while I'm sure lots of people like Mad Max, it's still fictional.

Fifth, while Overwatch takes place in a future Earth (albeit somewhat fantastical), if this is an Activision-Blizzard thing (let's forget the sale to Microsoft to now), how would this apply to other settings? Take fantasy settings like Warcraft and Diablo for instance, or settings in the far future like StarCraft. Even Call of Duty isn't immune to this, since the viability for this model would vary by sub-series (compare WWII to Infinite Warfare for instance, where the former is based on a set time period, while the other depicts a war between two entirely fictional organizations). And I have no idea how you'd do this for stuff like Crash and Spyro. I mean, not sure how fast dragons age for instance (does Spyro gain or lose points for his age?), or whether N.Gin would get points for his 'body type' or not (why yes, a missile IS stuck in his head), but then, what do I know?

Sixth, you may think at this point that I'm an SQW. I'm not. The irony is that SQWs have irritated me for as long as stuff like Overwatch, Rainbow Six: Siege, and Apex Legends have existed, ranting about "forced diversity" when their idea of it is apparently anyone gay, or female, or some other 'deviation.' If this stuff is being applied, then all personal thoughts aside, it's going to give these twats ammunition.

Seventh, despite all I've read, I think the idea of getting characters from as many different backgrounds as possible is generally a good idea if the setting allows for it, and Overwatch is a setting that does. But somehow, people have been doing that for ages without quantification. The reason I brought up the writing thing is that in the last multi-chaptered story I wrote (set in the Starship Troopers film universe), I made effort to have the characters come from as many different nations/cultures as possible (at least the Terran ones), while also showing new cultures (e.g. how Martians are generally disliked) and new religions (e.g. a branch of Christianity that emerged after space travel). I did this to be realistic and creative, as well as be true to the setting (both the film and book, where the Federation is fairly egalitarian on such matters), not "woke," and I shudder to think if there was any quantification process applied to it with someone with too much time on their hands. And while you'd be right in pointing out that this is amateur writing, fair enough. Care to apply this criteria to works like the Enderverse, or games like Street Fighter? I'll wait. The irony is that I've always appreciated the Enderverse for having characters from all over the globe (even if it does get a bit weird about it sometime), but there's something inherently...ick, to me, about the idea of quantifying fiction. At least in the creative process.

Eighth, even back to Overwatch itself, we already know who the next three heroes after Sojourn are (Junker Queen, Mauga, "Fox Girl,"), if not the order, so even if this is implemented, how long until it even kicks in?

Ninth, how the heck did I come to agree about Dwarf on anything when I've spent more than enough time being dismayed about his views of Ghostbusters 2016 and Star Wars?

Fuck. :(

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
And in other news in woke world, calling men bald is now sexual harassment.

Or, as is more likely given that's reporting by The Sun, there was a context in this specific case that made it sexual harassment where it wouldn't be in 99% of cases, but bullshit makes for better anti-"woke" articles to get their readership tutting. Or it basically didn't happen and they just made it up, and in a couple of days the page will be quietly removed and they'll pretend it never existed.

Because The Sun has been doing that sort of shit for decades: almost nothing the paper reports is trustworthy.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States

I actually want to be bald, but it's not socially accepted. Not having to wash hair is amazing.

Reactions: Hawki

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

Brazilian gets you 3
Egyptian gets you 7
You know, they could just hit randomize on the character creation screen a few times.

Really this comes off such a irritatingly corporate thing to do. Bobby Kotick going "Diversity problem? Slap numbers on it. Solved! Now back to copping a feel of my PA's ass."

Yes, I know Kotick was problably not directly involved. MIT designed the tool, but King commissioned it, and King is part of Acti-Bliz, so...

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
And?

Sexual harassment doesn't only refer to harassment that has a sexual motivation, but to any form of harassment on the basis of sex.

In this case, a man was fired from his job after being verbally abused by his supervisor, during which said supervisor specifically referred to his baldness in a pejorative sense.

Now, if we imagine a situation where a woman in the same position verbally abuses a subordinate and calls her flat-chested, before proceeding to fire her, that's very obviously sexual harassment. It doesn't matter if there is no sexual intent, the intention is still to make that person feel self-conscious about a characteristic which is clearly sexed in nature.

I'm genuinely baffled to understand why anyone would think of this as "woke", given that it's a decision made by an employment tribunal probably staffed by a bunch of old white men. It's simply an honest interpretation of the law as it exists.

And for the record, yeah, I think it's kind of the correct judgement. While it's certainly true that baldness isn't exclusive to men, having breasts isn't exclusive to women. It doesn't change the fact that these are sexed characteristics because they have particular meanings and social significance based on the sex of the person to whom they apply.

Like, the only real criticism I can see making sense is that this might open the door to an expanded definition of sexual characteristics. For example, height is a very common basis for discrimination, especially for men and in a way that very much includes employment. Short men concretely earn less than tall men. Is being tall a sexual characteristic because men are on average taller than women?

But I'm really not adverse to someone asking that question.

Part of this is that I generally think it's inappropriate for anyone in a position of authority to comment on or reference the physical appearance of a subordinate unless it is directly relevant to their job.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Um the Anti-Woke world has thread has had 30+ posts about random witter Q-anon people............
Woke is a bunch of random disparate ideas and people that you shove into a box called woke.

Qanon is a bunch of disparate ideas and people who SAY they are Qanon

When people are talking about 'random people' and woke, it's because they are being placed in that box whether or not they are woke. When people are talking about 'random people' and Q, they are Q... because that's what they self identity as

Reactions: Buyetyen