Funny Events of the "Woke" world

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I mean, I could see if someone was really invested in a specific character they might get a bit upset at that, but then it's reversible and the sort of person to get really invested in a character would probably be the sort of person to roll with it and rp a quest to change back. Certainly wouldn't mess your character up as much as diving headfirst into a sphere of annihilation. Odd thing to get upset about in the grand scheme of weird and gruesome shit that could happen to a character in DnD.
It might sound weird, but a lot of the time I'd rather roll up a new character than play a character that got permanently changed without a heads up. Like, my cyrrent Hackmaster character is (specific flaw) frail and scarred up, and if my GM was like "oh, by the way a wandering Cleric fixed that for you when they were healing your wounds" I'd be pissed. Just undercuts the character I'm playing

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Testing didn't matter much with covid, Japan did great and couldn't give 2 shits about testing. I've explained several times why testing and tracing doesn't work with covid.
Indeed, and each time you've convinced nobody.

The US quarantine rule was 10 days (which is overly cautious) and the CDC reduced it to 5 days and everyone flipped out. Lockdowns don't work. So how did the US mess up any of those things?
What good will answering this question do? You won't accept any answers that focus on actual responses, because you don't believe any of them work. What's the point?

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
At work, we just did our yearly DEI bullshit yesterday. Our boss put it on as basically background noise and we just made fun of it to no end. There was this one scene where an employee was talking about getting a great deal on something they bought and the other employee said 'you must've really chewed him out to get that price', then employee gets offended because they're Jewish but like literally anyone can be Jewish since it's a religion so I guess you just can't make a comment about anyone haggling down a price on something because they just might be Jewish. Another one was really funny because it totally didn't convey whatever the intent was. It was about an employee on the phone with another employee complaining about a co-worker misgendering them and it gets resolved by the person being misgendered realizing they are just being over sensitive in essence. I'm like "uhh, is it just me or was that scene basically saying someone complaining about being misgendered is basically hysterical and needs to be calmed down?" and everyone was like "yeah... I think so".
Yeah, there's a 50/50 chance they didn't say "chewed"

Also, like, are you mad that the training didn't want people to fly off the handle at being misgendered? Getting some mixed messages here

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
What good will answering this question do? You won't accept any answers that focus on actual responses, because you don't believe any of them work. What's the point?
I would be questioning their understanding of 'flipped out' because there was hardly any reaction to the change but that's called 'flipped out'.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
It might sound weird, but a lot of the time I'd rather roll up a new character than play a character that got permanently changed without a heads up. Like, my cyrrent Hackmaster character is (specific flaw) frail and scarred up, and if my GM was like "oh, by the way a wandering Cleric fixed that for you when they were healing your wounds" I'd be pissed. Just undercuts the character I'm playing
Yeah, I mean in that sense yes, if it's a character trait you like to RP that if fixed is something you couldn't really justify changing back, but something that is effectively a curse that changes gender...not really that permanent in a DnD game is it? And GM determining things about your character off screen is a bit different to walking into a trap a having a magical effect applied during gameplay.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
I mean, I could see if someone was really invested in a specific character they might get a bit upset at that, but then it's reversible and the sort of person to get really invested in a character would probably be the sort of person to roll with it and rp a quest to change back. Certainly wouldn't mess your character up as much as diving headfirst into a sphere of annihilation. Odd thing to get upset about in the grand scheme of weird and gruesome shit that could happen to a character in DnD.
On the one hand, [holds up sign that says collaborative storytelling]

On the other, you didn't play tomb of horrors expecting to come out the same as when you went in.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Again, it's not on me to prove lockdowns don't work, it's on you (or whoever thinks lockdowns do work) to prove that they work. You don't just get to say something and make someone prove you wrong, that's not how science works. The lockdown crowd has provided no evidence that lockdowns had any actual benefits (or even would have in the first place).
Oh my god. You have to be insane to think lockdowns had no benefits.

You gave me shit studies as well... And you're the one claiming expertise is such things.
No, I didn't give you shit studies. You said they were shit because you either misread or wilfully misinterpreted them. And you are also scientifically illiterate (do you not remember that you even had to have the meaning of a p value explained to you?) so you can't even tell whether a study is shit, hence why you keep posting them. What's even funnier about this claim is that the one you complained most about was one you first introduced, albeit indirectly.

Let me remind you that you cited a lying, pseudoscience website which you claimed had meta-analyses showing HCQ and IVM worked, and I pointed out that website misleadingly presented studies and had clearly inaccurate meta-analysis (hence also why I ended up explaining p values to you). That paper first entered debate because it was one of those the website lied about. You later then claimed it was shit because it didn't have enough data on deaths. What you ignored in order to claim that was that determining deaths from infection wasn't actually the aim of the paper.

The reason you're making this pissy little claim is the most feeble of "Nuh-uh, you too!" accusations because you've literally nothing better.

Hell, you can't even admit that there was no evidence for Iraq having WMDs,
No, I think the US (and to a lesser extent UK) governments presented a load of superficial evidence supplemented by fabricated evidence that plenty of people found convincing enough to persuade them into supporting the war. You don't seem to understand what evidence is: it's not the same thing as true, objective proof. Evidence is simply information in support of a conclusion. It can be of varying strength, and it can also be wrong.

The fact that you claim Marty Makary is not a reliable source is hilarious, what significant/major thing was Makary wrong about?
They've been pointed out to you multiple times. Seriously, do you have a memory problem?

No, I wouldn't care if someone in the store wasn't wearing a mask because if you had a virus that deadly, I'd be wearing a mask that doesn't matter if the dude next to me was wearing a mask.
And thus you promptly tell everyone that you are not aware of the science of how masks work, even despite all the many times it's been mentioned. Great job there.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Every academic asshole I have met who had an opinion on birth rates in college assumes one thing about birth rates. Low is better. Fewer humans are better. But guess what. That is the dumbest idea ever. I don't like billionaires, but they are one hundred percent correct on population. if we get complicit, lazy, and disinterested and keep birthrates below 2.1 children per couple. We will become extinct given we don't have radical life extension.

The Americans(my country) are having low birth rates, the Chinese(my people) are having low birth rates, the Japanese are having low birth rates, and the Europeans are having low birth rates. Some countries in the global south are starting to do the same thing.

We are now at 2.5 children, and that may be too high since some academics miscalculated Nigerian birthrates by .6 children per couple. If you were a leader, and you played your cards right you could conquer the world just by ignoring these academics and sending your people abroad, but who are still loyal to your nation-state.

And I know the US is trying, and failing to get birthrates higher, and doing immigration, and China wants three kids per couple. But they will fail. Humans are how you generate the content that gets fed to an AI, without us there is no new & unique content.

And yes right now is a good time not to have children, but generally, you want human beings to create, and not just replicate based on the past.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Every academic asshole I have met who had an opinion on birth rates in college assumes one thing about birth rates. Low is better. Fewer humans are better. But guess what. That is the dumbest idea ever. I don't like billionaires, but they are one hundred percent correct on population. if we get complicit, lazy, and disinterested and keep birthrates below 2.1 children per couple. We will become extinct given we don't have radical life extension.
:rolleyes:

Yes, if you keep birthrates below the replacement threshold forever, you will run out of people. Few people saying we should have lower birthrates are saying that we should have them forever, just to the population reaches a more sustainable amount.

I mean, c'mon, don't go all phoeniximgs on this.

Reactions: Silvanus

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
The human race is not going to underbreed itself to extinction. The notion is really just scaremongering bollocks.

In all likelihood, with continued development, increased wealth, more free time and less population pressure, people would probably start having more children. A lot of the reason they don't is financial pressure, time constraints from work, stress, etc. A simple representation of this is that the birth rate tends to drop during economic slumps: people interested in children put it off whilst they feel insecure.

I just can't help but point out that capitalists will point at literally anything other than capitalism to explain why the world is shit.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

The Americans(my country) are having low birth rates, the Chinese(my people) are having low birth rates, the Japanese are having low birth rates, and the Europeans are having low birth rates. Some countries in the global south are starting to do the same thing.

We are now at 2.5 children, and that may be too high since some academics miscalculated Nigerian birthrates by .6 children per couple. If you were a leader, and you played your cards right you could conquer the world just by ignoring these academics and sending your people abroad, but who are still loyal to your nation-state.

And I know the US is trying, and failing to get birthrates higher, and doing immigration, and China wants three kids per couple. But they will fail. Humans are how you generate the content that gets fed to an AI, without us there is no new & unique content.

And yes right now is a good time not to have children, but generally, you want human beings to create, and not just replicate based on the past.
So, are you doing your part?

Reactions: Silvanus

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia

Ah yes, because the world population HASN'T reached 8 billion or anything. It's not as if we're breaching numerous ecological boundaries.

And yes, populations falling/greying are a problem, and in terms of env. impact, consumption is much more important than population, but without a doubt, a lower population is good for the planet. The prospect of human extinction from failing to reduce is remote compared to the real challenges facing us right now. For instance, at South Korea's current levels of reproduction, sans imigration, South Korea would cease to exist by...um, the 2700s. Compare that to the prospect of a drastically changed world due to ecological collapse by 2100.

In all likelihood, with continued development, increased wealth, more free time and less population pressure, people would probably start having more children. A lot of the reason they don't is financial pressure, time constraints from work, stress, etc. A simple representation of this is that the birth rate tends to drop during economic slumps: people interested in children put it off whilst they feel insecure.
That's true, but the poorest countries in the world tend to have the highest fertility rates. Are they more "secure" than wealthier ones?

Also, there hasn't been a single case of the TFR of a country falling below 2.1, and ever rising above it. I think you're right to an extent, a lot of couples in MEDCs have less children than they'd like, but it's very hard to get the TFR up.

But again, I'm far less worried about human fertility than I am about the issues that 8 billion humans (especially the top 10%, which being fair, we're part of) are having.
So, are you doing your part?
"Hurry up and grow up, spud. We need fresh meat for the grinder."

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
That's true, but the poorest countries in the world tend to have the highest fertility rates. Are they more "secure" than wealthier ones?
No, but they tend to lack access to birth control and other sexual health services (abortion, vasectomy, tubal ligation) to rein it in. An old dude I worked with also suggested that in poor countries, lacking Netflix and the like, meant there's not much else to do but fuck, but that's a statement I'm gonna take with just all the salt.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Yeah, there's a 50/50 chance they didn't say "chewed"
Given the anecdote, I'd say 50/50 is incredibly generous. "Chewed" does not make contextual sense for the original sentence or the reaction, whereas "Jewed" (as in "Jewed you down", see the word's "verb" meaning in the dictionary) makes everything fall into place, as it's a highly offensive way of describing someone as an aggressive bargainer (closer to a conman, really), by directly invoking the quintessential antisemitic stereotype.

Last edited:

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
No, but you partly answer that yourself in the last comment of the post: "Hurry up and grow up, spud. We need fresh meat for the grinder."

This will sometimes have an element of tradition, which may stem from high childhood mortality (got to keep banging them out because half won't make it). Children in these countries may be more economically useful, because they provide labour for the family. Also, low educational standards and relatively poor access to contraception. As these are steadily resolved, birth rates start falling.

Also, there hasn't been a single case of the TFR of a country falling below 2.1, and ever rising above it. I think you're right to an extent, a lot of couples in MEDCs have less children than they'd like, but it's very hard to get the TFR up.
No-one's really tried to get the birth rate up in the West. Arguably, there's been little need when immigration is available and cheaper: why invest $$$ developing an adult when someone else can do it for you, and the finished article just turns up on the border? But it's also an issue of policy.

Imagine better child benefits and childcare provision to make it easier to raise kids. The entire right wing takes a look at the former and blows a gasket because they envisage feckless welfare leeches pumping out babies for government money. Benefits or subsidised childcare requires support via taxes: and they don't want to pay taxes. Companies hate maternity leave, because it costs them in both the salary for the non-working parent and a replacement worker: and in general they want workers not parents, such that forms of discrimination can exist. Increased salaries across the board would make children more viable, but they don't want to pay that either: global competitiveness, profits, blah blah blah.

Then they wring their hands and mutter darkly at people's reluctance to have enough (preferably white, middle class) children. But this the world they made for their own personal benefit, and their self-interest precludes them changing it.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
No, but you partly answer that yourself in the last comment of the post: "Hurry up and grow up, spud. We need fresh meat for the grinder."

This will sometimes have an element of tradition, which may stem from high childhood mortality (got to keep banging them out because half won't make it). Children in these countries may be more economically useful, because they provide labour for the family. Also, low educational standards and relatively poor access to contraception. As these are steadily resolved, birth rates start falling.

No-one's really tried to get the birth rate up in the West. Arguably, there's been little need when immigration is available and cheaper: why invest $$$ developing an adult when someone else can do it for you, and the finished article just turns up on the border? But it's also an issue of policy.

Imagine better child benefits and childcare provision to make it easier to raise kids. The entire right wing takes a look at the former and blows a gasket because they envisage feckless welfare leeches pumping out babies for government money. Benefits or subsidised childcare requires support via taxes: and they don't want to pay taxes. Companies hate maternity leave, because it costs them in both the salary for the non-working parent and a replacement worker: and in general they want workers not parents, such that forms of discrimination can exist. Increased salaries across the board would make children more viable, but they don't want to pay that either: global competitiveness, profits, blah blah blah.

Then they wring their hands and mutter darkly at people's reluctance to have enough (preferably white, middle class) children. But this the world they made for their own personal benefit, and their self-interest precludes them changing it.
I don't care if they are white or not, I want the human species to not go extinct. If we ever hit below 2.1 children per couple in terms of Earth's population, we are screwed. As Hawki mentioned.

If the human race is going to go extinct in a few hundred to thousand years why work, do your best at work, create, innovate, and etc.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I don't care if they are white or not, I want the human species to not go extinct. If we ever hit below 2.1 children per couple in terms of Earth's population, we are screwed. As Hawki mentioned.

If the human race is going to go extinct in a few hundred to thousand years why work, do your best at work, create, innovate, and etc.
Humanity isn't gonna sit around and just Not Have Kids until we go extinct. That just doesn't make sense, like, psychologically. It's like worrying that humanity is gonna collectively starve to death if people, like, got on a diet kick

Reactions: Kwak

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Humanity isn't gonna sit around and just Not Have Kids until we go extinct. That just doesn't make sense, like, psychologically. It's like worrying that humanity is gonna collectively starve to death if people, like, got on a diet kick
Having a few million, and even hundreds of millions of people would suck too.