Funny Events of the "Woke" world

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Except you also reference the twitter post I had posted. You brought that up in your reply. That's what started this whole debate to begin with.........
As one part of a three-part reply, I pointed out that cannibalism did happen "on occasion". Which is true. You then went down the rabbit-hole of demanding citations and then failing to read the sources that were provided.

Well clearly when the argument being presented is that it's a widespread practice that I'd expect sources suggesting it was a widespread practice..............
That isn't the "argument being presented" by me, or by the book.

You specifically demanded citations of it happening at all. You were then provided with sources. You then failed to read the sources.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
And having a pronoun of "they" is stupid, thus she's a she, that was the point.
Right, so this is just arrogant, proscriptive bollocks, then: claiming you know someone else's identity better than they do. They were right to be pissed off, because you show a complete lack of both empathy and basic human courtesy.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
You're going to have a fucking stroke when you learn about nicknames. Why is this an imposition upon you? Be real.
Nicknames are optional. And no one deems you a bigot if you call Timothy Timmy instead of Tim.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Nicknames are optional. And no one deems you a bigot if you call Timothy Timmy instead of Tim.
No because you aren't doing it out of a refusal to accept someone's immutable characteristics.

You would, however, be considered an asshole if you continue to call someone Timmy after being repeatedly told that their name is Tim. Since purposely misgendering someone is taking that asshole behavior and applying it in a way that attacks an innate characteristic such as race, gender, sexual orientation, etc, it qualifies as bigotry. This isn't rocket science...

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States

"LOS ANGELES (NewsNation Now) — Bad report cards could soon be a thing of the past in California as some of the state’s largest school districts are dropping “D” and “F” grades."

"Los Angeles, Santa Ana, Oakland Unified, Sacramento City Unified and other California districts have decided to limit the use of “Ds” and phased out “Fs” in grading. High schoolers who fail a test or homework assignment can get a do-over or more time to complete the work."

"Students who don’t ever finish the assignments or who fail the final exam would earn an “incomplete,” according to EdSource."

"The move is called competency-based learning. Advocates argue that assessment should be based on mastery of learning — what students have learned instead of how they test. Supporters also hope it will help kids re-engage after nearly two years of virtual learning during the pandemic."

-You need sticks and carrots. The carrot is that you go to a good college, and get a decent job. The stick is that you will work in retail or another low-paying service sector if you don't. Also, I can already guess this will make their grades in the California school system uncompetitive with colleges.

“One teacher takes homework assignments late, the other has extra credit, one curves scores on tests, so there is a clear and objective unfairness to students if they get one teacher versus another,” said Alix Gallagher, with Policy Analysis for California Education."

-Then standardize the grading system nationwide.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Makes sense. The goal is to get kids to learn stuff, not sort them into a cast system

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
All it's going to do is make the richer, and middle-class parents go to private schools and the poorer ones to charters if they can.
Depending on how it's implemented, maybe. Would be on track with the California Dems wanting to privatize damn near everything

'Course, it's not like they're changing the criteria for A's, so if your argument is "but it'll make scores useless for good colleges", how many good colleges were accepting C and D students anyway?

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Depending on how it's implemented, maybe. Would be on track with the California Dems wanting to privatize damn near everything

'Course, it's not like they're changing the criteria for A's, so if your argument is "but it'll make scores useless for good colleges", how many good colleges were accepting C and D students anyway?
If you have a good ACT or SAT score maybe. But even I had to go to community college, then to my state's public school despite getting letters from the University of Chicago for some reason. (Overpriced AF)

But there was a college either UC Davis or Berkley that had a pass or no pass system due to the student government, and students got angry it made their scores uncompetitive.

Also fun fact at one point CUNY accepted everyone.

Oh, and if you live in Ohio, the satellite universities of OSU accept virtually everyone.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
If you have a good ACT or SAT score maybe. But even I had to go to community college, then to my state's public school despite getting letters from the University of Chicago for some reason. (Overpriced AF)

But there was a college either UC Davis or Berkley that had a pass or no pass system due to the student government, and students got angry it made their scores uncompetitive.

Also fun fact at one point CUNY accepted everyone.

Oh, and if you live in Ohio, the satellite universities of OSU accept virtually everyone.
...okay, but that doesn't actually change my argument: the criteria for upper level grades didn't change.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
...okay, but that doesn't actually change my argument: the criteria for upper level grades didn't change.
Colleges won't perceive it that way, they will perceive it as you weakening the academic rigor of the public school system. They will generalize that going to a Californian school is easier. Just like how the business community perceives the ivy League as beating public state schools, and other non-profit private schools or that an engineering degree is better than a degree in English literature.

There is a reason the university of Chicago rejects so many applicants so that it looks better to websites and news like US News.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Colleges won't perceive it that way, they will perceive it as you weakening the academic rigor of the public school system. They will generalize that going to a Californian school is easier. Just like how the business community perceives the ivy League as beating public state schools, and other non-profit private schools or that an engineering degree is better than a degree in English literature.

There is a reason the university of Chicago rejects so many applicants so that it looks better to websites and news like US News.
If you weaken the academic rigour of the school system, selective organisations will simply increase their grade requirements.

Many courses have a recruitment problem - getting enough students onto them to make them financially viable. Top universities and courses have a selection problem: they are always going to fill their seats with backsides, they just need to pick the best ones.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
I'm actually on team "traditional grading is bs". Speaking from personal experience, as someone with an exceptional talent for test taking, that does not in any way make me the person who is best suited to a college education. I quit college. Twice. The people who really want to be there because they are following their interests could have had my spot, and the world would be better, even if they had much lower scores on tests. Honestly, the idea of college prep education should die in fire, in my estimation.

That being said, changing what the letter grade means is an absolutely meaningless gesture that accomplished nothing by make them look silly. A school near where I grew up did some ridiculous gpa scaling for AP and advanced classes that led to some people having 6.0 GPAs. Funny enough, that did not get them into Harvard.

Generals

Elite Member
May 19, 2020

Heh, I have always considered "ivy league" universities as totally overrated for that exact reason. There is nothing hard about "producing" good graduates if you only recruit the best students. And there is a way to be both open to all and still have a reputation; make your classes hard. In my first year we were around 650 students this became around 300 in the second year and 200 in the third. Everybody was given a chance and those who couldn't handle it because it simply wasn't for them failed in one of the two first years. The only disadvantage with this system is that some people waste 1 or 2 years of their lives studying for a degree that is not made for them.

Reactions: Agema

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Heh, I have always considered "ivy league" universities as totally overrated for that exact reason. There is nothing hard about "producing" good graduates if you only recruit the best students. And there is a way to be both open to all and still have a reputation; make your classes hard. In my first year we were around 650 students this became around 300 in the second year and 200 in the third. Everybody was given a chance and those who couldn't handle it because it simply wasn't for them failed in one of the two first years. The only disadvantage with this system is that some people waste 1 or 2 years of their lives studying for a degree that is not made for them.
Worse than time, they accrue debt that could be a crippling factor going forward in their life.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
This is very true.

Elite universities do not necessarily provide the best courses. They just cherry pick the best students, and of course therefore tend to provide a disproportionate amount of the smartest people in the room irrespective of the quality of the course. Although an advantage of knowing all your students are shit hot is that you can teach them more content and complexity because you have more confidence that most of them can cope with it, so there is a chance they may be more advanced than people on courses at weaker institutions as well.

In many cases, they are also very well resourced to supply lots of opportunities. Especially networking - both from the university itself, and that they disproportionately recruit from the socioeconomic elites meaning their students are already wired into the social circles of the country's movers and shakers present and future. Even mere adequacy can thrive in such a rich environment.

I think especially in a system where the students pay for their education, there is a very strong moral obligation for an education provider to see that its students can pass - this means rigorous entry requirements, and looking after them properly when they are in. I would consider half the class failing utterly intolerable: a catastrophic failure on the part of the course, and showing contempt for the students.

Last edited: