Funny pet quirks

Lilikins

Jan 16, 2014
This is something I noticed a couple days ago with my kitten, I personally found it very funny and was speaking to a work colleauge who also has a pet that has funny quirks.

I have these treats that are little sticks in a way, they are considered a treat. I can literally open one of those and he'll come darting through my apartment like a bat out of hell and sit on the couch to beg when I open them. He'll then proceed to give paw (which I taught him, thank you very much) and a high five. After obtaining the stick instead of just eating it, he'll pounce around my apartment filled with happiness making his chirping noises. This process lasts about 15 minutes or so until he jumps on my lap and purrs at me so I can pet him on his head, he gives an approving chirp and trollys off again running through my apartment with his treat stick. After this process has taken another 5 minutes hes usually worn out and just lays on the couch then slightly nibbling his stick.

Another thing I find 'funny' about him, ever since I brought him home Ive always made sure to spend lots of time with him, be it playing, petting or anything else of that sort. I usually always gave him a little kiss on his nose and he always seemed to like it. Now its at the point where he wont go to bed if I dont give him a kiss on his nose. He'll sit on the window sill and look at me half drowsy and pounce over and stick his nose towards me, I give it a small kiss and he'll curl up into a ball then and go to sleep. (Sidenote, this also occurs in the mornings...the dork will wake me up at 6:00 on weekends with his paws in my face so I can give his nose a kiss and then proceeds to go back to sleep whilst I lie there wide awake...)

So my dear escapists, do you have any pets? If so, do they do anything you always find funny and amusing time and time again?

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
I had a hamster once called Ratbert. He used to run on his little wheel until he lost his balance, then spin around it like a ping pong ball in a washing machine before flying off and plopping down onto the floor of his cage. He'd stare about himself, blinking in a daze, before getting right back on the wheel again.

My friend's hamster used to burrow under the sawdust of his cage floor and zoom around like one of those graboids from Tremors.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Almost every night, my dog would claw under the cough; the one adjacent to the window. I'd checked under it; nothing was in the underbelly of the couch, and if there was anything living or inanimate, it must have been invisible, intangible, and completely silent. Every day, I had no idea what my dog would worry about.

Even after we sold the couch, she'd still do it. Not so much a quirk as much as it was a highly disturbing, trust-ruining activity in completely distressing us and making us worry for her mental health, it was pretty cute because when she's curious it makes her ears go up and her forehead rolls down and it makes these whisker-things on her brow stand up on end and it was fucking adorable.

Lilikins

Jan 16, 2014
Someone Depressing said:
Almost every night, my dog would claw under the cough; the one adjacent to the window. I'd checked under it; nothing was in the underbelly of the couch, and if there was anything living or inanimate, it must have been invisible, intangible, and completely silent. Every day, I had no idea what my dog would worry about.

Even after we sold the couch, she'd still do it. Not so much a quirk as much as it was a highly disturbing, trust-ruining activity in completely distressing us and making us worry for her mental health, it was pretty cute because when she's curious it makes her ears go up and her forehead rolls down and it makes these whisker-things on her brow stand up on end and it was fucking adorable.

I must say that would..freak the hell out of me haha, my kitten went into 'scared' mode once completely randomly, it was 11:00 at night and his ears perked, he growled and then he darted under the couch clawing himself in the carpet so hard that I couldnt get him out. Ill add to this he didnt 'hear' anything seeing as hes deaf, but something sure spooked him.

Needless to say I went through my apartment with a baseball bat and then went to sleep with that next to me haha.

(I play too many horror games....)

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
I had a cat named Maurice who liked rap tunes. My brother and I would play a bit of music, and when we stopped it he would start meowing until we turned back on again. It was hilarious.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Lilikins said:
Another thing I find 'funny' about him, ever since I brought him home Ive always made sure to spend lots of time with him, be it playing, petting or anything else of that sort. I usually always gave him a little kiss on his nose and he always seemed to like it. Now its at the point where he wont go to bed if I dont give him a kiss on his nose. He'll sit on the window sill and look at me half drowsy and pounce over and stick his nose towards me, I give it a small kiss and he'll curl up into a ball then and go to sleep. (Sidenote, this also occurs in the mornings...the dork will wake me up at 6:00 on weekends with his paws in my face so I can give his nose a kiss and then proceeds to go back to sleep whilst I lie there wide awake...)
That's fucking adorable. Though I imagine slightly annoying for you.

One of my cats, Ipsy, has the worlds greatest meow its a proper "meee-oooow", though she won't meow at you if she is inside, she will just sit and stare at you if she wants something. However if she is outside and she sees me walking up, she will run up to me meowing her head off. Then when she gets back inside, silence.

She also has a thing about shoes and regularly kills them. It usually ends up with her laying on her back, shoe inbetween her paws with a look on her face as if to say "what the hell am I doing?"

Rylot

May 14, 2010
I've got a miniature Dachshund who waits until late at night then finds a sock and walks around the house whining with it. She'll get in bed and keep whining until you take it away from her. We've no idea why she does it but she's been doing it her whole life.

Jolly Co-operator

A Heavy Sword
Mar 10, 2012
When my dog marks her territory when we're out for walks, she always pees while doing a handstand. Sometimes, I really wish I could be as creative as my dog :p

DuelLadyS

Aug 25, 2010
We trained our dog to run into the yard and pick up the newspaper for us- when he comes in, we give him a treat and he drops the paper.

If you don't get the treat right away, he opts to "read" (tear up) the paper instead.

We once found an old box of treats in the back of the cabinet, so we figured we'd use them up. Dog comes in with paper, we get treats out, he drops paper, we offer treat... he sniffs treat and picks paper back up. We had to scramble for a 'fresh' one before he tore the paper up.

Another time, they missed our yard and the paper was along the curb were you couldn't see it from the door. Just to see what would happen, we let the dog out and told him to get the paper. He ran around confused for a minute, then darted through the bushes into the neighbor's yard, and came back with their paper. I had to walk him out to the curb and hand him the correct paper so I could return the neighbors.

One morning my mom went out with the dog to throw something away. Unfortunately for her, she did so when the paper delivery guy was driving through. The dog proceeded to grab every paper on our street as it was thrown and take them to my mom. The delivery guys about fell out of the car laughing. Luckily, they stopped long enough for mom to get the dog back inside so she could re-deliver the papers.

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
Our dog doesn't know how to walk down our basement stairs by himself. Whenever he wants to go down, he sits at the top of the staircase and paws at a non-existent step. In order to help him come down, we have to show him where the stairs are and how to get down the slightly spiraling steps, every single time. He has no trouble walking back up the steps, though.

Whenever it's time for dinner, we give him a plastic container of wet dog food, 'cuz he won't eat dry food. No matter where we give it to him, he delicately picks up the entire container with his mouth and carries to this one rug in front of the basement door, which also happens to be somewhat of a nexus that connects the upstairs, downstairs, kitchen and foyer, and living room and dining room. Always, that exact spot, which just so happens to be the place where he would be the most in the way in the entire house. When he gets hungry again, if he has an empty one of those containers handy, he'll pick it up and walk over to someone and wag his tail. I mostly think this is funny because it's completely adorable, and highly effective; it tells us exactly what he wants very clearly and concisely.

He also likes swinging. We have a swinging bench in our back yard, and whenever I sit down on it, all it takes is a confirmation that he is allowed to sit with me to make him excitedly leap onto the seat next to me. I also like swinging on the bench, too, so this arrangement works out well for both of us.

Whenever my mother is around, he follows her around everywhere (except the basement) and exclusively listens to her. It's difficult to even get his attention when he's with her.

Lilikins

Jan 16, 2014
SuperSuperSuperGuy said:
Whenever it's time for dinner, we give him a plastic container of wet dog food, 'cuz he won't eat dry food. No matter where we give it to him, he delicately picks up the entire container with his mouth and carries to this one rug in front of the basement door, which also happens to be somewhat of a nexus that connects the upstairs, downstairs, kitchen and foyer, and living room and dining room. Always, that exact spot, which just so happens to be the place where he would be the most in the way in the entire house. When he gets hungry again, if he has an empty one of those containers handy, he'll pick it up and walk over to someone and wag his tail. I mostly think this is funny because it's completely adorable, and highly effective; it tells us exactly what he wants very clearly and concisely.

Ive noticed him doing..'something' like that aswell. He basically gets kibble in the morning, and then in the evening for dinner time he gets wet food. His kibble consists of 4 things, little pockets that have meat..stuff, red circles, green triangles, and then your standard brown kibble..stars. From the rarity of it, it goes pockets-->red-->green-->brown. Upon obtaining this food he'll dig around in it with his paws and scoop out the little pockets first. These he will delicately take into his paw and eat them, I personally think all hed be missing at this point is a monocle and a top hat. Once all of them are gone he'll look at me to which I exclaim that Im not going to dig through his kibble to find the pockets and point to his food. He'll then eat the green ones first (scooping them out again) followed by the red ones (also scooped).
Then he'll look at me again. Ill point to it again and he'll give me this 'look' which is basically saying 'I want pockets'. When I point again its almost as if hes going 'Fine, you give me pigs food? Ill eat like a pig then!!' and sticks his face into his bowl and starts eating like a pig throwing kibble all over the place. Mind you, he always eats everything, but its still funny to see him sorta..'pick out' the food he really wants and sorta try to beg for it when theres only other stuff left.

ChristopherT

Sep 9, 2010
When I was sitting a hamster, the one and only time, the hamster would pick up its poop, and throw it out of the cage. I don't know if this is normal for a hamster, but it was rather annoying having pellets of poop scattered about on the living room floor.

My turtles do a weird thing, I don't know what it means. For instance, Raph will place his hands up to the sides of his head, like blinders on a horse, palms out, claws pointing forward, then get in the face of Leo and wiggle his claws, being careful not to get too close as to scratch the other one. I don't know if it's normal either, the few times I've tried looking around on the internet I've come up with no results.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Oh my godddd that was so adorable I nearly exploded~~~

OT: My cat Charlie likes to sleep balancing on his head and his body curled up under him. He looks like he's face planting the floor. I nearly got a picture of him the other day but I was laughing so loudly I woke him up. He also loves boxes which isn't too weird but he likes sitting in clearly too small boxes.

My cat Selina Kyle will sit with her tail in my cup of tea and give zero fucks. She had an injection at the vets on Saturday and didn't even move. She's stone cold!

William Fleming

Mar 6, 2011
My puggle (pug and beagle crossbreed) often has her bottom row of teeth showing after shaking her head (you know the gesture that dogs do). It's like her teeth get stuck outside her mouth. Often though when she knows she has been bad and told off she will go away and comeback a minute or so later with her bottom teeth showing (it has happened too many times to be a coincidence meaning... she has most likely practised and can basically do it at will now).

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
My biggest dog (male standard Dachshund) swings his butt around like some kind of Ankylosaurus when he plays with the other dogs. Or if he wants to play and they aren't really getting into it, he'll turn around and rub his butt all over them while making huffing noises. Also since my daughter was born and he knows he isn't allowed to be too close (accidents happen), he'll play near her while she's on her activity matt by rubbing his body all over the carpet, huffing at her, and wagging his tail.

While this isn't really funny so much as it is useful, my eldest dog (mini-Dachshund) hated when I cut her nails, so a couple of years ago she started biting her own nails down. They are small and dainty and I don't have to cut them. She's a little classy lady.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
had a terrier thing that would rub up against the carpet make noiseses "arrrgghhhh rrrrrgghhh" that kind of thing, would also bite feet and run around if in the right mood, but shes getting old for that now

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
EeveeElectro said:
(...)She had an injection at the vets on Saturday and didn't even move. She's stone cold!

How...uh...how long has she been stone cold for? O.O

OT: A maths teacher I used to visit in Hong Kong had a little white dog named Bobo. All you had to do was walk into her apartment, shout "Bobo!" and the excitable little ball of fluff would come yelping and skittering to you from wherever it was hiding. Mad little thing that loved everyone it saw. I suppose that doesn't sound particularly odd or quirky for a dog, but it just seemed to have limitless energy and it was always circling someone like a cloud at foot height or camouflaged out of view somewhere, ready to fire itself from hiding like a Concorde.

I used to feed my hamster these little blueberry treats and he'd eat the entire outer casing of blueberry, then roll the raspberry centre to the corner of his cage and bury it under sawdust like a tiny, fussy pirate.

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
A little quirk my pitbull Khalid has is that whenever I am going to sleep, he'll always sleep beside me and rest his paw on my chest as a way of giving me protection as I sleep, it's so bloody adorable x3 then if I look at him while he's resting his paw he'll stare awkwardly and shift, turn and look away! It's like he's embarrassed or something! XD Poor pups.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
My...well, My Mom's German Shepard Bo is really, REALLY clingy. When Mom is home, he's constantly up at her side or, sitting/laying by her feet. He's completely hopeless and adorable and neurotic but the really weird part is his toy chicken. He has a squeeky chicken toy that he also really clings to. He takes the thing all over the place with him, even setting it to the side of his food bowl when he goes to eat or, drink.

I'm suddenly a bit homesick...

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
My Dog loves to chase after squirrels and birds, but she stalks them for a bit, and when she knows they can get away easily, she rushes towards them. There's been a few times she could've caught one, but she would nip it and then slow down to let it get away. She is very protective of her family, so if there is something slightly out of the ordinary, she can get really excited. One time when going to the park we usually walk her at, we were passing by a fence post that had a plastic bag on it that was never there before. She got really excited, growled a bit, and kept her eye on it till we could no longer see it.