Furry Morality Question

Harkwell

Sep 14, 2009
On my way home today I had thought pop into my head. It has to do with furries but its not nessesarily restricted to them. Here goes.

Alright so a research company comes up with a serum and releases it this year. The company itself is not important, the serum itself is not important. If you have to ask, the company made the serum for the betterment of humanity.

What the serum does is improve your mental and physical prowess above that of a normal human. However, we're being realistic here. Your not Captian America, but the average serum user is equal in brains to a smart human. A genius user will always be smarter than a genius non-user. If you have never been able to lift a car, well now you can alibet only a foot or two. You can work longer, harder, faster, better, and stronger.

However, the serum does this by combining animal traits with human traits producing animal-human hybrids, the aforemention furry part. Using the serum turns you into a furry (assuming there are multiple types of serums for people who want a specific hybrid, one for a fox-human, wolf-human, etc...)

Obviously the person who uses it is going to face a lot of social problems, discrimination prominently. Honestly, I'd do it. Discrimination be damned I'd probably be smarter than all my co-workers, score one promotion for me.

EDIT: It appears a lot of people are saying that the serum wouldn't do any good because introducing animal genes in humans would have no good effect... scientifically that is. We're not talking about sceince here though (which kinda goes back to what I said earlier, the serum dosen't matter and a later post where I said it could be made of shit and pickles and still work), what matters is the moral implications. Not whther it is possible or not.

EDIT 2: One more edit! I also noticed a lot of people who were talking about how far the serum goes in regards to furriness. The serum's physical changes are 50% (for those of you who are familiar with that image, if not, look it up).

Dragnridr3

Dec 26, 2008
I would do it, no question. Superhuman abilities and the ability to become a real-life furry. Screw discrimination and hatred, worst comes to worst I threaten them with my shiny new wolf claws and teeth. In all reality there is no downside in that for me.

Perfect Dark

Aug 9, 2008
So hypothetically this serum would improve your own abilities by splicing your DNA with other animals. If it was publicly available I would actually not see people being discriminated against, I actually foresee those who can't afford it being discriminated against. It would be an interesting thought but few animals have better cognitive abilities than humans so I'm not sure how it would improve you.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Absolutely disgusting. There is already a huge social inequality gap in the developed world. Something like this would only serve to widen it even further. People would be denied opportunities becuase they could not afford to purchase this serum. People would be incapable of doing as much as those who were fortunate enough to get the wealth needed to acquire it. Some people will merely use the serum to make up for their own lack of effort. Such a thing will only bring problems to our society, and thus must not be used.

As for it turning people into an animal human hybrid, that just makes a bad thing even worse. Hybrids brought about through the manipulation of genes should not be allowed in society. It would lead to a ton of discrimination from both sides. Humans would resent them for being "unnatural", while hybrids would view themselves as the superior species due to their genetic modifications. This would cause a ton of problems, obviously.

LostCrusader

Lurker in the shadows
Feb 3, 2011
Perhaps we could live in some kind of city at the bottom of the sea. Maybe continue our works in science for the betterment of mankind away from those pesky morals...

Peter McKay

Aug 31, 2010
yes i would, hell the most exciting characters i like in most things are usually the characters that are technically beasts themselves, who would not want to look like a werewolf? would there be discrimination? yes (mostly from right wing catholics) but in truth, people should not always be shunned by decisions they make (okay if you decide to kill twelve people then you should be shunned, i mean if you just decide to were the color blue when your friends wear red). hell being half animal is a backstory with alot of comic book heros, heck spiderman got powers from a spider bite, yes he isn't half, but its still awesome. i guess what i'm trying to say is that if i could gain super powers but end up looking like an anthropomorphic lizard or wolf, i would do it, heck i may look more awesome than i do as a human

MintyNinja

Sep 17, 2009
I'd consider it, but truth be told I'm preferential to humans as humans. However, being stronger, smarter, and more energetic would be very alluring. There would also be the question of sports credibility as well, Users should be banned from professional and international sports. Otherwise a pack of dog-men playing hockey would be entertaining as hell!

Faux Furry

Apr 19, 2011
Even without super-powers (that can be proven, anyway) or non-human traits (to non-racist eyes and modern science, not that facts matter to racists), I am the subject of discrimination right now, so that would be no deterrent to any trans-humanist surgical procedures I would conceivably undergo.

If such operations became commonplace, it might be seen as similar to other body modification treatments today but with the added prestige that comes from possessing superior physical capabilities. If eye rings gave one super hearing or nose rings enhanced olfactory sensitivity tenfold, then it is doubtful that anyone would wonder why anyone would do it.

Best of all in this case, one already knows for certain that there is a subsection of the population who will not discriminate against those who are modified, they may even be given favored status.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Assuming it gets released to the public one would hope the moral question of "are you really still human after doing this?" would and should have already been tackled. I can tell you right off the bat there would be several religions that would probably be against it and see it as some kind of affront against god. Like it or not, here in the US and other countries around the globe laws are created based in religious ideas. Immediately you would have the world split into three maybe four groups. Those against, those for, those who don't give a crap, and those who want to try and troll the other three.

Would I do it? Can't say that I would, knowing the level of persecution we've put other humans through that were simply of a different skin color or culture I would hate to see the level of ugly that would transpire between humans and a new species of human. Actually I don't have to, I can just open an X-men comic and see the end result.(now that I think about it) Were the procedure to become the norm of society to the point that not having it puts you at a severe disadvantage then I would certainly get it.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Bullshit. I think A LOT of people would take the serum, so you wouldn't really have to worry too much about discrimination, other than the resulting new ethnic war between the furries and the non.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Kukulski said:
Hell no. I'm talented; more excercise and studying and I'd still be ahead of those hairy freaks.
I think the point is that they're pretty much going to be automatically more intelligent and stronger than you ever will be.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
It amuses me that furries think they are some how being discriminated against. Being mocked becuase of your sexual fetish is not discrimination. People only berate furries becuase they go out of their way to make it known that they are furries when doing so is completley unnecessary. Nobody gives a damn about what you do, yet furries feel the need to make it known. Then they act shocked when people make fun of them for mentioning something that need not ever be mentioned. Ridiculous.

zehydra said:
Kukulski said:
Hell no. I'm talented; more excercise and studying and I'd still be ahead of those hairy freaks.
I think the point is that they're pretty much going to be automatically more intelligent and stronger than you ever will be.
Which is exactly why such things should never be created.