Furry or Not?: The Escapist Decides!

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
So a few of the people I play games with have taken to calling me "Paragon Furry" for several reasons; not least of which is that it annoys the hell out of me and two because they think that liking ANY character that has non-human animal traits makes you a furry.

I argue that no, it doesn't count unless the thing in question is undeniably more animal than human, or you actually want the animal part more. The two characters they like to use as evidence most often because I like them are:

Eris - Cat Planet Cuties
WARNING: Hard to explain at work

and Sherufanir - Record of Agarest War

I don't think either of these qualify - if they do, there are going to be a lot of really, really angry/disappointed people around the world. Particularly in Japan. But what about you Escapist? Do they, and characters like them count as "furry"? If they don't, where exactly is the line that something most cross to become furry?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I'd say those two characters you posted are just humans with a couple of animal traits. If they're furries, then Goku and Zidane are furries for having monkey tails (and I wouldn't call them that). An actual furry, I think, is an anthropomorphic animal (i.e. an animal that is given human traits). Not the other way around.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Ashia Clan-Clan (Outlaw Star) is a 'furry'.

Eris (Cat Planet Cuties) is borderline, given the whole look...but still aliens.

EstrogenicMuscle

Sep 7, 2012
Yeah, I'm not watching that "cat planet cuties" clip.

Shades of furry? Does it matter? I'm thinking that most people in the furry community would be pretty underwhelmed by that level of animal characteristics.

She looks mostly human, to be honest. And I am not watching that video based upon the thumbnail.
Furry doesn't really have an absolute definition.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
I've always found this to be a useful guide...
But seriously though, my thoughts are ... if they still have a 'human' face, then no, not furry. If they have a more 'animal'-like face (a snout, for instance), then it's furry.

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
IceForce said:
But seriously though, my thoughts are ... if they still have a 'human' face, then no, not furry. If they have a more 'animal'-like face (a snout, for instance), then it's furry.
That last one made me lol, thank you for that.

OT: I always thought that it would depend on which characteristics are more pronounced. I wouldn't characterize your two examples as furry since they look like humans with animal characteristics. Now if they both had more fur then I could see it but as they are now I don't see them as furry.

Luna

Apr 28, 2012
staika said:
IceForce said:
That last one made me lol, thank you for that.

OT: I always thought that it would depend on which characteristics are more pronounced. I wouldn't characterize your two examples as furry since they look like humans with animal characteristics. Now if they both had more fur then I could see it but as they are now I don't see them as furry.

That pic is hilarious.

OP, if your friends think that some sexy chick on the internet isn't hot just because she has ears and a tail, they're *probably* in denial. Though we can understand why.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
As long as there's more skin than fur, it ain't furry. Otherwise you could also call human beings furries for having hair.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
IceForce said:
Reposting original for great glory.

According to this you're firmly in the "not furry" group!

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Highfive for liking Sherufanir.

I don't think it is furry, and as long as the they have a human face and little to no fur I would put in the
"Has animal characteristics and ears/tail" then furry.

GeneralFungi

Jul 1, 2010
I know that I'm going to play devil's advocate here, but...

So what if it was considered furry? You appreciate the character's design. That's all that matters. Your friends see that you like it and they're grasping for something that might upset you and furry is the hot button word that they decided to use. If you feel the need to gather up a bunch of support in order to prove that they are not, in fact, furry pictures then you've just let them know that they're under your skin and that their tactics are working.

I say like what you like and stop caring about what they think of it. Furry is such a ridiculous taboo subject on the internet. It's just silly at this point.

Ratties

May 8, 2013
A ton of human characters with animal traits. Ton of people would go out with sexy cat women. Of course there is one that seems to be the first choice for alot of people, she is a furry.
[http://photobucket.com/images/krystal%20starfox]

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
I always figure anthropomorphic animals were just that and you don't get into furry until you add the fetish into it. Those are women with a few cat bits.

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
I define furry as being turned on by the animal features, don't know if that really helps. Besides, one is a catgirl and the other a foxgirl, they're not really included in the furry line because they're more human than animal.

As said before, just get over their lame jokes and enjoy what you like.

LG Jargon

Feb 9, 2012
Pinkamena said:
IceForce said:
Reposting original for great glory.

According to this you're firmly in the "not furry" group!
...Your image didn't load. -.- But I think I know which one you posted.

OP: Those two examples: the first one looks like a catgirl (or nekomimi in Japanese), which is fairly common in anime. The second one seems to have fox ears and a fox tail, so it can be assumed that it's a kitsune girl (kitsune meaning "fox"), another fairly common sight in Japanese entertainment. Neither really count as "furry", but they are stepping stones in that direction. Add fur and maybe a snout/muzzle, and then you're closer to "furry". You could probably change the hands and feet into paws, too: Felicia from Darkstalkers is considered "furry" by many, even though she isn't covered head-to-toe in fur and doesn't have a snout.

As a furry myself, it's easier for me to make a distinction between human and animal, mostly due to continued exposure and consumption of such artwork. But don't worry: even if you are a furry, there's nothing wrong with that.

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
IceForce said:
Upper left: Anthropomorphized
Upper Right: Furry
Lower Left: Funny Animal
Lower Right: Real Life, also, you sick eff...

If it's vaguely humanoid, but the animal traits are quite pronounced, that's a furry. Although there are borderline cases, most coming from Japanese Media. Look at .hack GU for an example.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
Cat girls are generally not furry, since they just have ears and tails and don't have whole cat heads. However the whole cat girl thing is an odd one, since cats have quite human shapes when in an anime style.

But to be furry, it has to be...well, furry. So cat girls generally just have the furry ears and tail, so it doesn't count.