G2A is Going to Force Key Sellers to Supply a Name and Address

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
G2A is Going to Force Key Sellers to Supply a Name and Address

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1416/1416484.jpgG2A says that it is going to begin requiring key sellers to provide a name and address on July 1.

G2A has come under fire many times in the last year, most recently in connection with its short-lived deal with Gearbox [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/170019-Bulletstorm-G2A-Promo-Cancelled-by-Gearbox]. There have also been a number of complaints from people who purchased games through the site only to have their keys revoked because they had been originally purchased fraudulently. Today, G2A says it is implementing a new policy on July 1 to give more transparency to buyers.

The new rules will require key sellers to provide their name and address, and will do away with anonymous sellers. The company also plans to add automatic geolocation. Instead of choosing your location from a dropdown menu, your location will be determined using "data taken from independent and reliable sources." This is to keep customers from concealing their location to avoid VAT. Coincidentally, all prices on G2A will include VAT starting July 1.

It remains to be seen if G2A can repair its reputation in the eyes of both gamers and developers. This may be a tentative first step in that direction, but it's unlikely to be enough.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
My name is Arty Ficial and I live at 13 Madeup Road, Fakestown.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
A step in the right direction, sure, but...
09philj said:
I don't really see how they are supposed to stop/combat this kind of thing.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Laggyteabag said:
09philj said:
Something tells me they won't even try to and this is just supposed to look like they try to do something when in reality, they don't.

Which also means that a lot of people named John Doe are suddenly selling keys.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Im sure the Kekistani Black Market will just wither and die because of theese changes.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
09philj said:
Hi, My name is Youdont Needtoknow at 1357 Mystery Lane, Springfield, Afalseistan. My mother's maiden name is Yournamehere
and my father works at Primatech Paper.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Veldie said:
Rusty Shackleford
501 Dead Bugs Ave
Arlen, Texas 73301

Thats who I am.
And I know your real IP address too. 192.168.1.1

You're getting hacked brah.

Cold Shiny

May 10, 2015
Hang on, let me check with my office to see if this or any other action will ever make me consider G2A a legitimate business.

Yeah, definitely not, and G2A needs to die a swift and painless death.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Arnoxthe1 said:
Veldie said:
Rusty Shackleford
501 Dead Bugs Ave
Arlen, Texas 73301

Thats who I am.
And I know your real IP address too. 192.168.1.1

You're getting hacked brah.
Easiest way to avoid IP traces: Don't be where you do the stuff you're trying to pull. IP address means nothing if I'm anywhere but home, say. Then, of course, there are the online proxy IP-makers.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
Laggyteabag said:
09philj said:
They are not trying to.
It's to avoid them paying a few million due to people avoiding vat tax.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
09philj said:
Pretty much this. Name and address mean very little without a means to verify it. Hence why most places don';t bother. They go by the data on the credit card if they want to track you down.

J.McMillen

Sep 11, 2008
MonsterCrit said:
09philj said:
Pretty much this. Name and address mean very little without a means to verify it. Hence why most places don';t bother. They go by the data on the credit card if they want to track you down.
Actually, for services like this I would imagine that they would transfer your money to an actual bank account. Banks usually require verifiable information to set one up, and quite possible confirm whether information is valid when asked (i.e. G2A:"Is this their name/address?" Bank:"Yes" or "No")