G4 Cancels Videogame Programming

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
G4 Cancels Videogame Programming

G4's two longest-running shows will cease production at the end of this year.

G4 has had plenty of original programs since its 2002 launch (along with lots of Ninja Warrior marathons), but for years, the channel's gaming presence has been defined by X-Play and Attack of the Show. Amidst rumors of layoffs and a network rebranding, G4 has confirmed that its two longest-running shows have been canceled, with both to cease production by the end of 2012.

Both X-Play and Attack of the Show will air new episodes until December, and the shows will be "looking back on their most memorable moments" with "a rotating lineup of guest co-hosts." G4's statement didn't elaborate on the reasons for the cancellations, and concluded, "We hope you've had as much fun watching them as we have had making them, and sincerely hope you join us in bidding a fond farewell to Attack of the Show and X-Play as we look back over the next two months and head towards each series' finale."

X-Play made its debut in 2003, with Attack of the Show following two years later; since then, both shows have produced over a thousand episodes. Prominent X-Play co-host Adam Sessler left the channel earlier this year [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116957-Adam-Sessler-Leaves-G4], and last month rumors persisted that G4 was going to be rebranded. G4 didn't detail what content would replace the shows, but no matter what, it's certainly the end of an era for those who spent nearly a decade tuning in.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5955278/crisis-at-g4-studios-gaming-shows-will-be-cancelled-source-says]

Anti-American Eagle

HAPPENING IMMINENT
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
Canada
Thanks for selling out your core group these past few years G4, you're earning everything you get.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
... People care about G4?

In all seriousness, I'm not surprised they're going the route of MTV.

Rangerboy87

Jul 1, 2011
And the shark jumping is complete...I knew this was coming...it started slowly morphing into other stuff...I really lost favor with the network in the last couple of years...stopped watching completely after Sessler left...now they can be what they really wanna be...SpikeTV2

carlh267

Jun 4, 2012
Lets be honest here: who actually continued to watch X-Play (and G4 in extension) after Sessler left?

I guess G4 needed more space for the Cops and Cheaters re-runs.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Ok I have to ask, WTF is G4? I know they were a channel but all I ever heard about them was that they played all that ninja stuff, I never knew they did anything with videogames.

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
Ryans Solution said:
Thanks for selling out your core group all these years G4, you're earning everything you get.
Heh, no kidding. When TechTV was bought (read: immolated) by G4, the "channel for all things tech" died.

Hell, I still remember it when it was ZD-TV. Leo LaPorte was (and still is) awesome.

I think in some ways, though, that this is just a symptom of the mainstreaming of tech/geek culture. E3 is a shadow of its former self, as well, because things like games and technology aren't really "niche" anymore. You can even find a little blurb about the latest games on CNN now, for gosh's sake, and I'm not talking about the latest sensational moral panic, either. They have reviews and the whole bit.

That bit of rational thinking doesn't make this news any less sad, however.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
So, when do we start taking bets on how long til G4 (or whatever they're rebranding to) gets bought by Spike?

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
G4 stopped being about video games long ago. When Sessler left that was just the nail in the coffin because Sessler's Soapbox was an amazing thing. I stopped watching it after I saw more reruns of Cheaters and Cops than actual video game news.

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
And thus the transformation is completed! G4 has become like MTV!*woman screams in horror*

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
Rangerboy87 said:
And the shark jumping is complete...I knew this was coming...it started slowly morphing into other stuff...I really lost favor with the network in the last couple of years...stopped watching completely after Sessler left...now they can be what they really wanna be...SpikeTV2
wait they haven't changed their name to SpikeTV2.

OT: so they finally realized that a channel even remotely targeting gaming is not that reasonable... wait they stopped targeting gaming in 2008. goodbye X-play, good ridons G4.

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
I should be sad... but I'm really not.

X Play used to be decent, till they started trolling their viewers intentionally. Gee no wonder interest in the show dipped down.

Who remembers when Sessler and Web basically gave the big middle finger to the Mega Man Legends 3 fanbase after Capcom announced it's cancellation?

Yea, dick move guys. I don't care how much you dislike the series, you don't throw salt on the wounds after a developer has already gutted their fans. It's painful enough.

Serves em right.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
In other news: Comedy Central is also changing their format, and will from this point forward show exclusively food programming. Cartoon Network plans to fill this void by showing Sarah Silverman reruns in their daytime blocks.

P.S. Thanks

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Whelp, it was nice knowing you G4. You haven't been about the games in awhile but it's finally over.

ShadowTrooper-A-E

Aug 20, 2012
It was going downhill for year's then once Sessler left it was only a matter of time before it kicked the bucket hopefully Sessler might rally the people from x-play and Attack Of The Show and may make some kind of web series or someday a new network for gaming and tech and hopefully never sell out to someone.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
X-Play has been done since Adam Sessler left, I long ago stopped caring about what Morgan Webb had to say.

AOTS lost my viewership when they hired Candice Bailey (Alison Haislip would have kept me watching, apparently she wasn't even considered for Munn's replacement), Kevin Pereira leaving was just the last nail in AOTS's coffin.

Teddy Westside

Oct 5, 2010
Good night, sweet prince.

Truth be told I haven't had G4 since Call For Help/The Lab was cancelled, but it's still a shame to hear this.