G4 Cancels Videogame Programming

DarkSoldier84

Jul 8, 2010
When I first got digital cable, I wanted TechTV. I watched it a lot as a nerdling. Almost from the moment G4 took it over, I stopped. I read more about it and learned it was a near-textbook hostile takeover and the post-TechTV network was doomed to fail from the beginning.

The network execs treated TechTV's audience and on-screen figures like garbage. I'm glad providers are dropping G4 from their packages. The real tech guys (LaPorte, Norton et al) moved on to better things (though I'm sad that Martin Sargent has moved to advertising; Unscrewed was my favourite late-era TechTV show).

Goodbye G4 and may the hoary hosts of gadget Hell never tire of beating your maggot-riddled carcass.

Shiro No Uma

Nov 10, 2009
I remember when Adam Sessler did the show "Extended Play" at Metreon in San Francisco before it became X-play. I want to say that he did everything himself for the show as well, i.e. camera, editing, writing etc. I'm not at all surprised they are canceling the shows. I get almost all of my gaming information online and haven't watched G4 in years. I can't think of anyone I know who watches G4 either because on the whole most of my friends have internet connections without cable TV services (because broadcast TV is a dead market even with a DVR as almost everything has gone to streaming or first day digital download). Strangely though G4 has had a sizable presence at the bigger trade shows, but as a whole they have seamed a bit disinterested in the gaming industry lately.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Neronium said:
G4 stopped being about video games long ago. When Sessler left that was just the nail in the coffin because Sessler's Soapbox was an amazing thing. I stopped watching it after I saw more reruns of Cheaters and Cops than actual video game news.
I quit watching G4 right around the time I started frequenting this site (which was about 3 months before I finally decided to become a member.) Naming Fable 2 game of the year really threw me..... Decent game, but in comparison to Fallout 3? Umm NO. Now this wouldn't have been such a big deal except that that channel ( and their website marketed that game like it was the 2nd coming of Christ.) So, to me it appeared a sell out.

At this point, G4 has kind of fallen out of memory..... It is odd to watch Olivia Munn doing an actual acting job in The Newsroom though ( yes she can actually act, and well by the way :) )

Farewell TV For Gamers ( oh wait, you dropped that tagline 5 years ago) Farewell...... Cops/Cheaters reruns.... I'd say you'll be missed but we will probably see you on another channel in a week or 2.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Devoneaux said:
Oh come on, we all know this is just a formality. G4 stopped being a tech/videogame related channel a long long time ago.
pretty much yeah. thank god they finally made it official, it was a death that took far to long to conclude, and in the interim G4 lost nearly all of its reputation. such a shame that it died slowly and now will not even be remembered fondly by most.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
MorganL4 said:
Neronium said:
G4 stopped being about video games long ago. When Sessler left that was just the nail in the coffin because Sessler's Soapbox was an amazing thing. I stopped watching it after I saw more reruns of Cheaters and Cops than actual video game news.
I quit watching G4 right around the time I started frequenting this site (which was about 3 months before I finally decided to become a member.) Naming Fable 2 game of the year really threw me..... Decent game, but in comparison to Fallout 3? Umm NO. Now this wouldn't have been such a big deal except that that channel ( and their website marketed that game like it was the 2nd coming of Christ.) So, to me it appeared a sell out.

At this point, G4 has kind of fallen out of memory..... It is odd to watch Olivia Munn doing an actual acting job in The Newsroom though ( yes she can actually act, and well by the way :) )

Farewell TV For Gamers ( oh wait, you dropped that tagline 5 years ago) Farewell...... Cops/Cheaters reruns.... I'd say you'll be missed but we will probably see you on another channel in a week or 2.
I remember that. That's around the same time for me as well. I came to the site in 08, but waited a year as I was still on G4.TV. I left there because they banned people who never caused problems and kept the worst trolls there. I also almost got banned by a mod because I didn't agree with him on something about Rare. The mod quit G4 and made his own site I remember because he was power mad. That's when I came here and I regret nothing about my decision at all.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Those were the only things I even watched on that channel. Though I stopped watching maybe 2 years ago.

I fully support A La Carte Cable; if you're not watching that channel, it shouldn't be sucking up any of your money.

Oro44

Jan 28, 2009
G4 has been dying a slow death for quite some time now. I think the core group (Kevin, Olivia and Adam) saw it coming and jumped ship, it was going downhill already but without them, its just a lifeless channel. This is for the best.

Bagged Milk

Jan 5, 2011
I got sick of the Cops reruns with the Army propaganda commercials years ago. Xplay was amazing, then they completely stopped making jokes (the xplay musical was the greatest thing ever). AotS was pretty decent, but then DirecTV got rid of G4.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
It about time they finally gave up the ghost, most folks quit on the channel when it became the cops/cheaters channel.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
kajinking said:
Ok I have to ask, WTF is G4? I know they were a channel but all I ever heard about them was that they played all that ninja stuff, I never knew they did anything with videogames.
Beautiful End said:
This, please. I know G4 was a videogame related channel or something like that. But honestly, that's all I know. Where do they transmit it? Is it online only? Is it like HBO where you have to pay extra to get it?

I wouldn't mind checking it out at least for a while to either confirm how much it sucks or contradict people's opinions. I mean, all I have videogame related on my TV is...Spike TV. And it shouldn't even count!
When they were founded (early 2000s, I think), they were a channel dedicated completely to video games, and from my memory (perhaps somewhat nostalgia coated, dunno), a lot of the hosts of the various shows on that channel actually seemed genuinely interested in gaming. But after they merged with TechTV, they decided to become a "men's stuff" channel, which apparently meant cutting 90% of the video game related shows they had and replacing them with COPS, Cheaters, Ninja Warrior (not that I don't like Ninja Warrior), and random movies. They've since been dropped by a bunch of cable providers and no one really cares about them anymore. It's just sad to see the final nails in the coffin, I guess.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
Considering I've always thought of G4 as a networked version of the SpikeTV VGAs, I'm neither surprised nor upset that this is happening.

silversnake4133

Mar 14, 2010
Hey G4, if you ever decide to stop imitating Spike television, us gamers would really like our old programs back. It was supposed to be a channel for "gamers" not "testosterone-fueled man children".

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
I know that it's been a sham of its former self for years, but dammit, I still have fond memories of G4 in the mid 2000s back when it still had lots of gaming shows on.

I hardly knew ye G4, but you did keep teenaged me entertained, so for that I do thank you.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
It wasn't hard to see that G4 was in for a change/destruction, seeing as all they had left on of their games and tech stuff was X-Play and AOTS. I never understood why all the different gaming type shows disappeared off there, considering that was what the channel was suppose to be about.

thebobmaster said:
Edit: Actually, DirectTV dropped G4 a couple of years ago, so Comcast is the only one that still has it.
My dad has Dish Network and he has G4, so it isn't just on Comcast.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
There's a reason why whenever review scores are brought up, there's the saying "lol xplay"

knight4light

Jun 24, 2011
honestly. i saw it coming. for gaming news and reviews its much better to find it online. Destructoid. The escapist (duh). The game stations totalbiscuit even said one time that while he was obviously recording and doing an interview at pax the x-play girl comes up and says "we're ready to interview you now" thinking that they were the top. when told tb was recording shes all "can you tell him to come back later" to which she gets promply told to go away by the dev. then tb says taht g4 is so out of the loop that their "most recent coverage" is days after pax and that his stuff would get uploaded long before theirs does.

ah.. the cynical brit. always (almost) reliable xD. escapist as well. gotta have dem zero punctuations :D

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
Rainboq said:
... People care about G4?

In all seriousness, I'm not surprised they're going the route of MTV.
Ninja'd (haha yea I was thinking the same thing. I don't really watch g4 or MTV anymore).

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
I stopped really caring about G4 even before Direct TV dropped it. It was decent when it still aired it's own shows (even if most of those were years old reruns they were still good), but once it need to rely on COPS and Cheaters in order to kill time between anything decent it practically shot itself in the foot and never went to get it fixed.