G4 Cancels Videogame Programming

TheKaz

Jul 2, 2012
Even a fire must fade and along with it,the heat,light,and comfort it brings......
My childhood up until it became what it is now a few years back will be buried with it...

G4 is merely the embers of a long since dying flame....

jibjab963

Sep 16, 2008
I would be really upset if I didn't stop watching them once their best host left the show. The Co-Host on AoTS tried really hard to keep it going but without a good sold host the show just kind of died same thing with X-Play.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
I've been watching G4 since it early origins as web/audio shows on the Psuedo network(All Games Radio|AllGames Network). Neal Tiles basically killed G4 when he stepped in 2005. He was solely responsible for the program changes. "Guys like to play games, but not necessarily watch a bunch of shows with games on the screen,' Tiles says. 'So what we're doing now is expanding G4 from a network solely defined by videogames to one inspired by them.'"

When he stepped down and Adam Stotsky replaced him and refused to go back to a gaming channel, that was the final nail in the coffin that Kevin Pereira and Adam Sessler decided to leave.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Tony said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
newwiseman said:
X-Play has been done since Adam Sessler left
Oh G4 was dead long before Sessler left. The last 2 years of him on G4 you could see it in his face in every episode of X-Play. They neutered his show and he kept on it for a while. Sessler's soapbox was great, but it was on G4's website so it was hardly a help for the channel itself.

Adam Sessler leaving didn't kill this channel. Adam Sessler leaving was the last bit of electricity in a dead body phasing out.
Oh man you saw it too? I remember back when Sessler and Morgan looked alive, but as time went on, they started to look like they hated their lives... And jobs... Especially Sessler. I remembered back in 2005 when I would leave it on for days...
Yeah, it was like watching a family member die slowly. Morgan Webb should have left right after Sessler instead of hosting that BS show G4 Underground.

I remember back on AOTS when they would race two top of the line CPUs be seeing which one would complete its start up first.

ANd X-Play when they would review 5-7 games an episode instead of 2 games and then talk about news that had been on the internet weeks in advance.

GTwander

Mar 26, 2008
My money is on them trying to do teen-reality shows like MTV, and failing spectacularly.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
I watched G4 back in the golden days near and around the Techtv merger and loved the show but they lost me when they replaced Diane Mizota with some generic blonde on Filter and it killed my interest. After that I dropped cable and from what I hear I have missed nothing.

TIMESWORDSMAN

Wishes he had fewer cap letters.
Mar 7, 2008
Anyone who is familiar with G4's history will know that this like CNN saying they don't do news anymore. Then again, anyone familiar with G4's history probably isn't really surprised.

Two-bit channel weren't no good anyhow.

dfphetteplace

Nov 29, 2009
I removed G4 from my list of channels a long time ago. I didn't even know they were still around. All I saw were bad reruns of the same reality crap from Spike TV. I don't see how they get more ratings that way, but I am sure the production cost is far lower. They are now just another piece of garbage to pass by while flipping through the channels.

wiiwiieddie

Mar 3, 2010
Sad that the people working there are gonna lose their jobs. the best parts about both those shows were when they didn't have to read a script and could just truthfully talk about what they liked in games. that's why feedback and sessler's soapbox were great pieces of web content. the network was pretty shitty and unreasonable, however.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Cant say I regret cancelling my cable 2 years ago, the internet hasn't let me down yet...

soulfire130

Jun 15, 2010
carlh267 said:
Lets be honest here: who actually continued to watch X-Play (and G4 in extension) after Sessler left?

I guess G4 needed more space for the Cops and Cheaters re-runs.
I did. While I was sad that Sessler left I still watched the show... until I stopped a month ago.

Don't get me wrong, the show still kept together for the most part but It just wasn't the same, the show and the channel.

Im not surprized this is happening.

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
As someone who grew up with X-Play and AOTS, it's a nostalgic sort of sadness to see this nail in the coffin. I mean, it was obvious the channel had been on the decline, but...sigh, I hate seeing this happen. Adam, Morgan, Kevin, Olivia, I salute you. Thank you for your service (At least I get to enjoy seeing Olivia kick major amounts of ass in The Newsroom).

ScaryAlmond

Sep 12, 2011
Xathos said:
This :)

Any way it's sad to see xplay and AOTS heading off into the sunset they provided me with very good memories the sketches used to be hysterical (Emperor gets a job anyone).
But then it all changed the show the opinions were neutered and Xplay became a bland boring and incredibly dull experience.
I think we all saw this coming with the advent of the internet gaming news media Xplay was never going to win and with the recent loss of Adam and Kevin the reduction in originality and G4 switching over to whatever that crap is called we all knew it was finally over.
My only hope is that now these people can get the jobs they deserve goodbye G4/TechTV it was an honour while it lasted.
For the staff many were great gamers and journalists I look forward to the next steps in your careers and hopefully you can find a job that both respects and encourages your opinions.

Aggieknight

Dec 6, 2009
Sheo_Dagana said:
This has been a long time coming. X-Play went from being an everyday thing to a once a week thing and it made perfect sense. I liked some of the G4 personalities, like Abby and Kevin, but Adam was the real heart of the team, so to say. I stopped watching when he left, like most people here. I used to LOVE Feedback, but mostly because Adam was there.
X-Play and AoTS went downhill long ago. Comparing X-Play episodes during the last year or so to ones from a decade ago, and you can see a striking difference. X-Play went from being a realistic, brutally honest review show to spending months serving as advertising drones, then giving a review.

One could even anticipate the review score based on how long after release it took them to release their review - if the review was good, it came out release day. If it was bad, it came out a week or more later.

AOTS hasn't been the same since Olivia left. I'm not a fan of Munn, but her and Kevin had a very good dynamic.

Goodbye and good riddance to this channel.

Then again, I'm old enough to remember Tech TV fondly.

Rangerboy87

Jul 1, 2011
gardian06 said:
Rangerboy87 said:
And the shark jumping is complete...I knew this was coming...it started slowly morphing into other stuff...I really lost favor with the network in the last couple of years...stopped watching completely after Sessler left...now they can be what they really wanna be...SpikeTV2
wait they haven't changed their name to SpikeTV2.

OT: so they finally realized that a channel even remotely targeting gaming is not that reasonable... wait they stopped targeting gaming in 2008. goodbye X-play, good ridons G4.
I was saying that I think their goal is to be another SpikeTV...they will stay g4 (for now, but I'll bet $100 it will change next year), but everything else will become their version of SpikeTV...it's been going that way for a while...sad to see the decline

aceman67

Jan 14, 2010
Attack of the Show didn't "premiere" two years after X-Play, it was originally "The Screensavers" and that dates back to 1998 when the station was known as ZDTV (then became Tech-TV, then G4 screwed everything up.)

Do your research please.