G4 is being rebranded

Deathsaw

Aug 22, 2007
As of early 2013, G4 will be rebranded to market towards a more mature, GQ magazine-type crowd. It'll still have it's ?tech savvy roots?, but it'll aim towards a higher-end market.

Source: http://gamerant.com/g4-video-game-channel-dead/

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

I think this is a good thing. If the new G4 focuses on original content instead of endless repeats of shows like Cheaters and Cops, then I'd consider seeing what they have to offer. I just hope this transition is smooth for everyone currently employed by G4.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
G4 has been in a hole for years. Adam Sessler was the only thing making the place worth while, and with him gone they dont have a leg to stand on.

I'm feel neutral about the rebranding. But I know it cant get any worse.

captcha: Half empty

Pretty much

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
G4 lost all my respect when it stopped being about games and more about cops reruns, ninja bullcrap and Campus life shenanigans as if I gave a shit. Oh and Cheaters? Just WHY!?

Adam really was the last thing left there that had any sort of genuine attitude but even then the later years he just had this dead look in his eye.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
It's a mercy killing.
The channel has been on life support for years.

I will miss its glory days.

irmasterlol

Apr 11, 2012
Poor, poor G4. It was sad to watch, but it should have happened years ago. I'd say I would miss it, but it has been dead to me for too long anyway.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I used to watch X-play, Ninja Warrior and Attack of the Show. Before that I liked to watch some of the anime they used to show and stuff like cinematech.

When Olivia Munn left I almost wept with joy. I pretty much despise her and when she was on the Daily Show for like, what 3 episodes, I always stopped watching when she came on. I liked Candice, but I hoped Alison Haislip would take over. And then Chris Hardwick could have taken over for Kevin.

Adam leaving didn't effect me much as I haven't had G4 on my TV in forever since it isn't carried.

I used to have a crush on Morgan like 9 years ago.

Considering that 90% of their line up is cops and cops clones and their website is actually quite decent idk why they continue to have a cable channel.

Trying to appeal to hipsters or yuppies or whatever it is they are attempting to do now is going to be a pointless effort and likely alienate their current audience. When I think G4, I think of tech news via The Feed, Comic Con/E3 exclusive coverage, Ninja Warrior, the occasional Movie That Doesn't Suck, and ideally a gaming related show or 2.

That already sets them apart from most other cable channels. Adding more content instead of the aforementioned cops etc. blocks without eliminating the stuff people actually tune in for would be best.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Best of luck to them, I hope they find some sort of niche.
I won't be watching it.

The network I cared about died years ago.
What we see now is a reanimated zombie corpse.

Judgment90

Sep 4, 2012
Only main thing I watch now on that show is Ninja Warrior.

I say good riddance.

TechTV for life.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
Wait people watched G4 for things besides Ninja Warrior? That is news to me.
Personally I stopped watching it years ago when I got rid of digital cable, and I don't plan on going back to it now as I just don't even watch TV.

Toaster Hunter

Jun 10, 2009
I haven't watched G4 for years. Too may COPS episodes and not enough gaming. It used to be a network for gamers by gamers, but now...I just ignore it.

Imthatguy

Sep 11, 2009
I'll miss Ninja Warrior but thats all really.

Anyway why do channels dig themselves into pits with cheap reruns and reality television? Don't they see how it fails on other stations? Why not fight it tooth and nail?

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
DugMachine said:
G4 lost all my respect when it stopped being about games and more about cops reruns, ninja bullcrap and Campus life shenanigans as if I gave a shit. Oh and Cheaters? Just WHY!?

Adam really was the last thing left there that had any sort of genuine attitude but even then the later years he just had this dead look in his eye.
The bloody channel was draining him. Good thing he left, maybe he'll be able to revitalize himself.

As for the change, I don't really care. The only thing I watched on G4 previously was X-play.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
and nothing of value was lost that day.

When Adam left, I left. Morgan, I feel sorry about, Olivia...yeah, not going to open that Cans of worms.

Nargleblarg

Jun 24, 2008
Finally we can end this monster, and begin to accept that we couldn't save it.

Relevant

DANEgerous

Jan 4, 2012
It can not get worse but becoming GQ for the TV is flat out boring which I better than it is now which is just vile. I do not understand such a choice as I can not see how GQ is at all tech focused so any thought on what it is going to be is scatterbrained as saying "It is going to be like Martha Stewart but for nerds!" as far as I can tell.

Still I can only hope they can climb out of the abyssal their of stations that encompass MTV and Spike but if they want my interest Wired is a far nicer choice than GQ or they could just let Machinima take over as that is simply what is currently happening as just about every person to get the hell of of G4 now has connection to Machinima or just outright work for Machinima

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Ding Dong the witch is dead.

Comeone everypony lets celebrate the death of this thing :D I got pizza and popcorn

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I'm doing like a sidelong suspicious look and thinking sooooo maturity = what exactly. More naked chicks?

Yeah I'm not exactly holding up high hopes, glad it's dead though.