Gabe Newell Calls PlayStation 3 A Waste of Time

LANCE420

Dec 23, 2008
I don't really like Newell, he can't make a game on time and any release date from him is worthwhile as a night with your mom. But he is right. I don't believe that the PS3 was a major success, at least not as much as the Wii and 360. Competitively, the PS3 can't offer what other machines can.

Most technically advanced gaming console, sure. Rebuttal: others have games. In the end, I don't think that the PS3 was a failure. It's just that the other consoles are more successful.

However, I wouldn't be surprised to see if the console does a 360(pun intended) and suddenly has a mass inflow of new games that fully take advantage of the system and allow it to do what it was always supposed to do. If that happens, I will be happy and will probably buy one.
Until then, I will be happily teabagging the rest of you on Call Of Duty 4 with my trusty(ha ha) Xbox.

Cap said:
What a fat lazy retard...his loss. But I guess he is kicking himself today after inFamous, and many many multi-plat games with improved visuals over the 360.
Weak, bro, weak.

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
At this point I really don't give a damn what he says about the PS3. Yeah, it's my favorite out of the 3. To be honest, though, I use Steam. Full support of his work. Also, his opinion is not going to affect mine about the PS3.

Besides, I apologize for sounding so graphic about this ahead of time, but it's true. He's just giving the 360 fanboys (xbots) the proverbial blow job. "Talk shit about the PS3 and they will come", sort of thing. Although the PS3 has had some complaints about the difficulty of dealing with its architecture, it has not had so much hate as this guy has been giving to it. It's getting to the point where he's just being a dick.

Cap'n Moe

Apr 14, 2009
Well, I guess you are just as much of a dumbass, and a retard to boot, you were the one trolling that two year old post.

JaymesFogarty

Aug 19, 2009
J.theYellow said:
I'm starting to think Newell is just a jackass.
Of course, he's just a very deep-pocketed jackass who uses jackass means to get some of the best games ever made, to market, including a pace that's so aggravatingly slow that it just makes the public demand more.

But, hey, John Carmack's too busy trying to make rocket ships to complain about ATI's drivers or nVidia's MX line of budget cards, so why not? And Valve isn't doing business with Sony, at least not directly. EA is, but Valve needs EA about as much as they needed Sierra, which is not much.

There is still no compelling reason to buy a PS3.

Repo Man said:
I recall a lot of game developers moaning about the complexity of the PS2's dev tools but at the end the console did well, had lots of great games and is still going pretty strong.
PS2 wasn't the biggest consumer electronics disaster in history when it launched. It had a competitive price point, full backwards compatibility with the PS1 and far less competition for the games it was trying to make. Now there's the 360 on the high end and the Wii and portables on the low end, and there's nowhere for the PS3 to even get a foothold.
No compelling reason to get a PS3? Care to mention the compelling reasons to get a 360, or a Wii?

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
This thread has been necro'd, a few times it seems, just a friendly reminder before people get in a huff about the content!

Erm, On Topic I guess I should say I'm pretty sure I saw an article* stating that Valve are interested in developing for the PS3 when the time is right, which judging by their release dates could be anytime really, whether that means when PS3 has a larger install base or whether they figure out how to make Source PS3 friendly is anyones guess.

*can't find the article though, I suck.

TheRocketeer

Intolerable Bore
Dec 24, 2009
You know, I don't mind one way or the other what anyone thinks about the PS3.

But I get ticked off at how big-headed Gabe Newell is. Valve has free license to do pretty much whatever it wants to as far as development goes, and Gabe seems to think that's all thanks to him, rather than everybody else at the studio.

If Gabe Newell died tomorrow, I don't think it would really affect Valve that much, except that they would get a lot quieter; Gabe likes running his mouth off to the press, which isn't a bad thing in and of itself. But every time he does so, it's just to talk about how it's the gamers, not Valve, that don't understand the point of 'episodic content,' or about how putting out one FPS game every three or four years puts them among the greatest studios, or, most commonly, just starting fights with other entities in the industry for no good reason.

Is he really so important to his own massive company that he can pretend to speak for all of them? Isn't it just kind of sad that it's easier to compare Newell to Peter Molyneaux than to compare him to other beloved industry names like Kojima, Miyamoto, or even Bleszinski?

How unjustifiable is it that Gabe Newell is more confrontational than a man that walks around his office with a machine gun-mounted chainsaw?

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
i think valve is a pretty cool guy, he killz the ps3 and doesnt afraid of anything

Spy Killer

Feb 4, 2010
Cap said:
What a fat lazy retard...his loss. But I guess he is kicking himself today after inFamous, and many many multi-plat games with improved visuals over the 360.
High-Class fanboy troll goin' on here. join the fun!

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Spy Killer said:
Cap said:
High-Class fanboy troll goin' on here. join the fun!
Didn't InFamous sell at best 200,000 copies I'm pretty sure it was a disaster and why pick out InFamous when Uncharted 2 or killzone 2 looked far better.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
DragonLord Seth said:
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!! CURSE YOU GABE NEWELL!!!
Seriously, way to double back on your word and suck up to the company you didnt like.
I mean, seriously, why can't Steam be on the 360 for Portal 2?
Microsoft aren't big on sharing, ever.

THE_NAMSU

Jan 1, 2011
The cell microprocessor is amazing!
Technology has to move forward, you cannot just refuse to make games for a system because it is complicated, you're getting paid for it so do the work! :)