Gabe Newell: The Next Videogame Billionaire?

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Awesome. We need more people like him. Not like him, but with such a mind. You know what i meant....

Dammit.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
Good for him. Steam is easily the best gaming platform I've ever used, and Valve is quite an awesome company with all the great games they've released so far.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hey, despite my mixed opinions on Steam and not being a big FPS player all I can say is congrats. Good to hear he's doing that well.

I wonder if there will be an official annoucement when he hits the mark....

Hashime

Jan 13, 2010
It is probably because valve are the coolest developers around my case and point:

They are masters at keeping loyal customers and not being dicks.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
This is a sad day for gaming.
*Cries a single, manly Native American tear*

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
WaaghPowa said:
Good for Gabe, out of all the Developing companies Valve has got to be the best of them all.

70% protif margin on steam? With a profit margin like that, why wouldn't someone use steam to sell their game?
Because sometimes you don't want someone else's DRM restricting your game. But other than that, aye, Steam rocks :)

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
Souplex said:
This is a sad day for gaming.
*Cries a single, manly Native American tear*
Why ? :/

Is it bad that he succeds at promoting PC (and Mac) gaming without selling the company or going public (which would block its relative independance) ?

I mean sure, some may dislike Steam for various valid reasons, but overall, it had imho a beneficial effect: some may worry that they are so large that they shadow other similar digital distribution companies, but imho they increased the market visibility a lot, and the other companies also beneficed from that effect (even if I'm sure that now, they'd like to grab some bigger parts of the market), but that's fine, at least it's driving innovation further.

Personally, the only part I regret is that Valve still doesn't have more leverage to force the few remaining (largest) publishers to remove their additional redondant and frankly useless DRMs. They seem able to do in most cases, but large companies like Ubisoft seem still too powerful to be influenced.

(or maybe I'm just a crazy cynical idealist)(yes it's a strange combination :)

Apr 28, 2008
Publishers get a 70% profit margin?

So then why the fuck are digital prices on par with physical prices? If its cheaper to distribute, and earns more money, shouldn't the price of the stuff be a little lower?

Low Key

May 7, 2009
Irridium said:

So then why the fuck are digital prices on par with physical prices? If its cheaper to distribute, and earns more money, shouldn't the price of the stuff be a little lower?
Because when you factor in how much PC games get pirated, getting it for $10 less than console owners is a fair trade.

Apr 28, 2008
Low Key said:
Irridium said:

Because when you factor in how much PC games get pirated, getting it for $10 less than console owners is a fair trade.
They're starting to go to $60.

Well EA/Activision games are.

And besides, piracy is also big on consoles, so thats not that great of an excuse.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
Irridium said:
Low Key said:
Irridium said:

And besides, piracy is also big on consoles, so thats not that great of an excuse.
Pirating is about 1,000% easier on the PC.

Apr 28, 2008
Low Key said:
Irridium said:
Low Key said:
Irridium said:

Pirating is about 1,000% easier on the PC.
Still, there are better ways to go about combating piracy then stupid DRM and raising prices.