Gaiman Talks Race, Dr. Who and American Gods

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
JdaS said:
Fronzel said:
"And, of course, the characters won't be black in the movie because black people don't like fantasy."
Oh, Hollywood.
No kidding. I mean, when there are no black people in there to begin with, they toss a handful in to (presumably?) dodge the race card. But when the characters are black they have to be made white? Wat?
Well, it gives the editors something to do, I guess. But otherwise, yeah, WTF?

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
I too was late to the party discovering Gaiman, and started reading/watching his stuff only 3 years ago. But I'm definately looking forward to the American God's adaptation.

And I should try and find Black Orchid, I've planning to read that since I first saw an add for that somewhere around 1990 I think...

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
The Madman said:
Sandman was also fantastic. The only actual series of comics I own aside from Watchmen, which is just in book for so that doesn't count anyway. Not all the individual 'issues' were fantastic, there were a few stinkers in there and a few characters I didn't like, but overall the tale of Morpheus and the Endless was amazing. Apparently Death had a few spinoff series of her own, but I've never read em.
They're definitly worth a shot. Death: The High Cost of living is a nice little tale that has a lot going for it. The main problem with it is it's all set on Earth with very few crazy fantasy moments but at the end of the day it's a story about Death. You can't really go wrong with a character that good.

Agree about American Gods. I'm looking forward to the TV show but it took me several goes to get though the book, unlike Neverwhere which I pretty much devoured. One of my favourite books.

feycreature

May 6, 2009
I know I won't be the first to say this...but...Anansi Boys....with whitewashed characters...how do you....what? That was my favourite of his novels, too. I liked American Gods all right but I prefer character studies to sweeping epics. As for Good Omens....it's a great book. It's miles better than most of the stuff I read. But it's not as good as either Neil Gaiman's or Terry Pratchett's solo work.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Game of Thrones kicked so much ass. In my opinion the best television show ever made. That makes me totally psyched for American Gods.

Can you imagine if GoT kicked off a fantasy revival? But instead of Conan(the movie) inspired oiled muscly guy camp of the 80's it was based competing with the production value, acting, writing, and general polish of GoT?

I'm having a nerdgasm just thinking about it.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
I really hope the adaptation to American Gods is accurate... then again, American Gods had a fair amount of sex in it, so I'm not certain how they're going to do that... they'll probably want to make it PG-13, after all. e.e That will also ruin some of the better violent bits.

I'm more concerned with the plot and characters, but making changes like those always irk me.

Bleedingskye

Mar 19, 2011
Ya really, all y'all who don't know him go pick up anything...they read fast, they're amazing and there's nothing by him I wouldn't recommend. Maybe it's just cause it was the most recent one I've read, but The Graveyard Book is incredible.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Krion_Vark said:
WanderingFool said:
I have no clue who this guy is...

[HEADING=1]TO THE LIBRARY!!!![/HEADING]​
This is as close to the Sokka gif i can find but I guess it sort of fits since I am somewhat bowing to you for a Last Airbender reference.

Oh... wow...

Ummm... I didnt actu...

YES!!! Yes!

That was my whole intention... yeah... lets go with that...

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Never heard of the guy. Hm, might pick up a book by him in a while, when I'm done with the stack of books on my to-read-list...

JdaS

Oct 16, 2009
IAmTheVoid said:
And he's married to Amanda Palmer, who absolutely rocks my socks.

... And I liked the Stardust movie. :(
You mean Dresden Dolls' Amanda Fucking Palmer? *gasp!* He just became even cooler.

IAmTheVoid

Apr 26, 2009
JdaS said:
IAmTheVoid said:
And he's married to Amanda Palmer, who absolutely rocks my socks.

... And I liked the Stardust movie. :(
You mean Dresden Dolls' Amanda Fucking Palmer? *gasp!* He just became even cooler.
The very same! Neil even wrote a song for her and she performed it- it's quite bittersweet, but awesome. Just YouTube "I Google You". :D

Taranaich

Jul 30, 2008
rembrandtqeinstein said:
Game of Thrones kicked so much ass. In my opinion the best television show ever made. That makes me totally psyched for American Gods.

Can you imagine if GoT kicked off a fantasy revival? But instead of Conan(the movie) inspired oiled muscly guy camp of the 80's it was based competing with the production value, acting, writing, and general polish of GoT?

I'm having a nerdgasm just thinking about it.
One can only hope Paradox and CPI are looking at this and thinking of a Conan TV series that doesn't suck.