Gallery: Here's Your Live-Action Attack On Titan Movie Cast

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Dagda Mor said:
I hope they keep the thing about Mikasa being the last Asian, just because it would be hilarious.
Probably the Japanese viewers would see no problem with it. They also had no problem adopting Thermae Romae with a very Japanese ancient Roman, even though half of it's joke revolve around him making commentary on the modern Japanese characters' "flat face", or them making fun of him for being an obvious gaijin.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Is think this is the first time I have ever seen a movie "asian-washed" XD

Seriously, I thought Mikasa was supposed to be one of the only asian characters and most everyone else was white (implied European descent).

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Wait, who are all these characters? The only three I sort of recognize are Eren, Mikasa and the potato girl, all else I can't figure out at all.

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
List said:
Titans are just giant zombies...
then again, the masses will eat up anything zombie related, because zombies...

but I'm still looking forward to this because titans...

Oh you don't remember in episode 382, Hange Zoe developed the RPG-7 to battle titans? Contrary to popular belief, the RPG-7 was developed back in medieval times and not during the cold-war. This actually stopped the titan attacks completely and this is how the series actually ended. It was a good episode.

Protocol95

May 19, 2010
Product Placement said:
Dagda Mor said:
Double Snip
It's 100 not 1000.

About the movie itself I've got mixed feelings on this so I'll go with the easy answer of cautiously optimistic and mildly baffled about the whole race thing but not too fussed about it.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Zontar said:
I kind of which someone like Warner or Paramount had picked it up for the live action. Even with cost cutting measures like filming in Quebec City/Montreal instead of Europe coupled with using 3rd and 4th pier actors instead of big name ones, it seems like a movie that would need at least 75 million to be both honest to the source material and look the part. Japanese studios just don't have either the budget or the audience to support a movie like that on their own. And lets face it, we all wanted to see Sir Patrick Stewart play Pixis. I mean hell some people already looked up some of the perfect 'fits' for some roles.

Still, I'll be waiting for this with some anticipation. I'll probably have to set my corn level to "super sentai" level though. I have my doubts the cg will be at a level I can take seriously.

Though it seems Mikasa will have one of the things which make her stand out disappear. Being the daughter of the last Asian isn't going to be adapted, that's for sure. The aesthetics are also probably going to be very different, most likely modern urban decay due to the budget issue.

I'll be keeping an eye on this one.
Plus, the cast is all going to be Japanese, in the original, it was expressly stated that there was only ONE person of Japanese decent left. And even then she was only half... So yeah, by definition a Japanese film CAN'T stay true to the source material.

Asuterisuku

Jul 10, 2011
Zontar said:
Oly J said:
Why is there a rocket launcher in picture 2?
My money's on the setting being more modern, the fall being some time in the late 20th/early 21st century (despite that not making any sense if the origins of the titans remains the same). The main reason is probably budgetary.
There's a reason the first chapter's called 'To You, 2000 Years Later;' the series is actually far future, but technology regressed to pre-industrial after the Titans arrived. And while we're far from knowing for certain yet, I'm willing to bet the Titans were created by experiments possibly pertaining to achieving immortality with that technology.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Timothy Zwicker said:
Zontar said:
Oly J said:
Why is there a rocket launcher in picture 2?
My money's on the setting being more modern, the fall being some time in the late 20th/early 21st century (despite that not making any sense if the origins of the titans remains the same). The main reason is probably budgetary.
There's a reason the first chapter's called 'To You, 2000 Years Later;' the series is actually far future, but technology regressed to pre-industrial after the Titans arrived. And while we're far from knowing for certain yet, I'm willing to bet the Titans were created by experiments possibly pertaining to achieving immortality with that technology.
I don't know about that, the decay inside the massive area within the walls are ones which would, in the manga and anime, need to have had no modern infrastructure within it for the visual cues to make sense. The title of the first chapter seems to, in my mind, imply the distant past and not the distant future.

Asuterisuku

Jul 10, 2011
Zontar said:
I don't know about that, the decay inside the massive area within the walls are ones which would, in the manga and anime, need to have had no modern infrastructure within it for the visual cues to make sense. The title of the first chapter seems to, in my mind, imply the distant past and not the distant future.
Let me put it this way, then. They have mass-produced 3D Manoeuvre gear, which is effectively a spider-man belt, powered by compressed gas. Do you really think they had that tech 2000 years ago?

ninja51

Mar 28, 2010
Yeeeeeeaaaaahhhhh..... I was curious about this movie when I first heard about it, I couldn't help but theorize and wonder how they would do a live action Attack on Titan, well, as it turns out, they're doing it poorly. I think the show becomes crazily less interesting and much more stupid and padded with filler 2 episodes after Erin "died" but I still watched it all the way through. The start had beautiful promise, a unique universe, a multi-ethnic and national cast of characters working together as humanity as a whole, brutally difficult challenges facing them, ah... How naive I was. I shoulda known it had to turn into Dragon Ball Z sooner or later, with characters constantly coming up with new super powers to one up each other all the while with Armin crying constantly like a ***** in the background.

Though even with where the show degraded to, at least it looked better than this...

I can't wait to hear that all Asian cast constantly pronouncing the German Jaeger, the Italian (softly whispered with a rolled tongue) Marco, and the where ever the fuck place Burtold comes from. Ditching the multi-national cast was probably a better idea though... And ditching the unique world setting devoid of Rocket Launchers... And throwing in a bow and arrow girl because of Hunger Games was a good move... And that 3d maneuver gear totally doesn't look stupid... Uhhhhhh...

I'll Burtell you all what I Burtold my roommate, this looks like crap and I feel a bit of a fool to have expected anything more.

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
Half of what i liked about attack on titan was the art style, im not sure that its going to translate well.

dtgenshiken7

Aug 4, 2011
Bweh.One Nationality for all characters, a completely new setting and Original Characters, plus a plot that's totally unconnected to the story at large. You might as well call this a Live-Action OVA for all it's worth, besides the special effects and decent costume/make up design I'm seeing I really don't think it's going to be one to watch.

Don't get me wrong, This isn't going to be a shyamalan-esque shameless attempt at making a few bucks based on the name of the franchise rather than taking the time to craft an actual story, but I really don't see them making something quite as action-packed as the fight scenes in the anime, where they can take a few liberties because animation. Unless you can turn Levi into sonic the hedgehog in live action too, you're gonna be met with disappointment.

Captcha: "JUMP OVER" Somehow, I don't think jumping over a Titan is going to help, Captcha. Thanks for trying though.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
piscian said:
Shia LaBeouf as the hero? Mark Walberg as the Titans?
To be fair I would definitely watch a movie in which humanity is terrorized by a legion of gigantic Mark Wahlbergs.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
I don't recognize any of the characters save for the women ><

I assume the first dude is Eren but after that.. Meh and here I was looking forward to a kick ass Levi with outrageous french accent and an arnie sounding Reiner.

Well let's see how this goes, so long as titans look cool and there's lots of people being om nom nommed, I'll be entertained.

Zepherus14

Jan 24, 2012
Saltyk said:
Alexander Kirby said:
The problem with live action adaptions of any animation is getting actors that look like the characters. Often they make attempts such as prosthetics to get them to look more like their drawn counterparts, but this often makes it look worse and pushes it into the uncanny-valley. When that's the case it's often best not to bother trying at all, especially when they'll be using Japanese actors to fill the roles of European characters.
I completely forgot about that. But you're right, the entire cast is actually European with the exception of Mikasa who is half Asian. It's usually pretty easy to forget that as the characters are all Japanese in anime (notable exceptions exists such as Gundamn). This is actually a rare moment when filming in the West would be more accurate to the cast.

On the other hand, the last time Hollywood tried to adapt an anime, we got Dragonball Evolution. Whereas the last time I saw an anime adapted by a Japanese film company, it was the Rurouni Kenshin live action film, which was great. And I think I would take that slight inaccuracy in exchange for a good movie.

Anyway, this looks fairly accurate, but I wonder about the effects on the Titans and the story and such. That can make or break the film.
As long as we don't get another Dragonball Devolution or Avatar the Last Airbender, I'll be interested to see the movie. Fingers crossed they can actually make this a respectable adaption like they did that one Phoenix Wright Live Action Movie. (I actually liked that one)