Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I was on the section where you’re basically replaying earlier missions with more difficulty and struggled to stay invested. Might do it someday but the whole ranking system doesn’t work well in open world sandboxing anyways, since to get the coveted S rank you’re locked out of the fun stuff and stuck with tranq darts and sleeping grenades. Or smoke grenades if you really want to live dangerously.

IIRC Kojima said it was the MGS he always wanted to make but couldn’t due to lagging technology, but it definitely lost something in the pursuit of all that freedom.
I ignored most of those repeat missions. It turns out pretty much all of them are optional, because in order to trigger the endgame missions you need to recapture the kids and those missions pop up based doing a set number of ANY missions, including side ops(?). So basically you're killing time until the next recapture mission pops up and then once you get them all you get "A Quiet Exit" and "The man who sold the wolrd" endgame missions, IIRC. PW did something similar but that only happened during the epilogue chapter after you'd already beaten like 95% of the story and destroyed Peace Walker. The remaining plot missions were pretty much there just to give you something to do if you wanted to keep playing, but you also had to do them to unlock the ZEKE boss battle which truly ends the story and sets up Ground Zeros(Because it explains how Paz ended up at Not-GITMO).

Also, apparently you can S rank like half the missions by unlocking the mini-mechs/walker gears and using them to speed to the objective to get record time. I never did it but I've seen videos of people doing it. It does suck that doing stuff the fun way and the "optimal" way are two totally different types of playing, because the S ranks are almost completely dependent on speedrunning.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I ignored most of those repeat missions. It turns out pretty much all of them are optional, because in order to trigger the endgame missions you need to recapture the kids and those missions pop up based doing a set number of ANY missions, including side ops(?). So basically you're killing time until the next recapture mission pops up and then once you get them all you get "A Quiet Exit" and "The man who sold the wolrd" endgame missions, IIRC. PW did something similar but that only happened during the epilogue chapter after you'd already beaten like 95% of the story and destroyed Peace Walker. The remaining plot missions were pretty much there just to give you something to do if you wanted to keep playing, but you also had to do them to unlock the ZEKE boss battle which truly ends the story and sets up Ground Zeros(Because it explains how Paz ended up at Not-GITMO).

Also, apparently you can S rank like half the missions by unlocking the mini-mechs/walker gears and using them to speed to the objective to get record time. I never did it but I've seen videos of people doing it. It does suck that doing stuff the fun way and the "optimal" way are two totally different types of playing, because the S ranks are almost completely dependent on speedrunning.
Interesting, and yeah I should’ve thought as much based on PW (which I genuinely enjoyed nearly all of). It kinda wants you to replay missions too, because they all have several objectives that fly in the face of record times if you bother doing them. I’ll certainly try the mech thing though, if only to blast through most of the tedium.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Interesting, and yeah I should’ve thought as much based on PW (which I genuinely enjoyed nearly all of). It kinda wants you to replay missions too, because they all have several objectives that fly in the face of record times if you bother doing them. I’ll certainly try the mech thing though, if only to blast through most of the tedium.
Well, PW at least you can always go back and do the APC/Tank/Helicopter battle missions with better equipment, because capturing said vehicles through a non-destructive victory means you can send them into battle in the Outer Ops missions and make more money for MSF. I don't think the same thing worked in MGSV, IIRC. In fact, aside from being able to summon a vehicle to use in a mission, I don't think capturing vehicles did much of anything in MGSV.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I was on the section where you’re basically replaying earlier missions with more difficulty and struggled to stay invested. Might do it someday but the whole ranking system doesn’t work well in open world sandboxing anyways, since to get the coveted S rank you’re locked out of the fun stuff and stuck with tranq darts and sleeping grenades. Or smoke grenades if you really want to live dangerously.

IIRC Kojima said it was the MGS he always wanted to make but couldn’t due to lagging technology, but it definitely lost something in the pursuit of all that freedom.
Yeah, I read that as well. I get it from the ability to approach a complex from all angles and all. However, the overall game structure is mainly do "open world checklist" repetition vs story-driven missions that just so happen to be mini-sandboxes (sorta akin to Dishonored). I couldn't care less about getting S rank on the missions, I play games to have fun. There was definitely fun to be had like using horseshit to mess up a vehicle convoy (which I did), using the Fulton system to get rid of a tank and shoot the rest of the guards walking next to it, using the helicopter as air support (which kinda was a bit like "very easy" mode but it would come in playing your chosen song so it was awesome).

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States

Great as if people who want to ruin character customization(particularly female character customization) in video games like Mass Effect, and Red Dead Redemption 2 wasn't enough. As if big western companies running games with various monetization schemes wasn't enough. On top of all the non-gaming problems we now have Tencent wanting to buy large western gaming companies, and given the mess that is Valiant skins I don't want them anywhere near any gaming companies. The top ones being EA, and Take-Two.

Seriously this is what happens when we don't enforce anti-trust, any big company can gobble up a larger company, and ruin it's products.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Interesting video about the 3 Dead Space games and the DLC: analysis, comparisons and spoilers.

PS: Dead Space 3 is a 6-hours game stretched onto 17 hours where the resurgence of the necromorphs threatens the space love triangle between Issac, Ellie and the esteemed Captain Boyfriend.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
That was pretty cool breakdown in the sense that MGS2 was pushing AI and interaction along with doing 60fps and it still looked great for its time. I pretty surprised how low poly the character models were but looked far better IMO than other character models in games that had much higher poly counts. It almost seems like devs should take a lot at MGS2 as a case study that you can make a great looking game without pushing polygons if you think of other ways of making the game look good vs just basically brute forcing it with more polys, higher resolution textures, and whatnot. Then, you can allow AI and interaction to use your "precious" CPU/GPU power that isn't all going to making your game look good and do 60fps. Cyberpunk is sorta the perfect example of this, no AI or interaction and only a great looking game.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
That was pretty cool breakdown in the sense that MGS2 was pushing AI and interaction along with doing 60fps and it still looked great for its time. I pretty surprised how low poly the character models were but looked far better IMO than other character models in games that had much higher poly counts. It almost seems like devs should take a lot at MGS2 as a case study that you can make a great looking game without pushing polygons if you think of other ways of making the game look good vs just basically brute forcing it with more polys, higher resolution textures, and whatnot. Then, you can allow AI and interaction to use your "precious" CPU/GPU power that isn't all going to making your game look good and do 60fps. Cyberpunk is sorta the perfect example of this, no AI or interaction and only a great looking game.
I think there was more going on behind the Cyberpunk fiasco than programming resources. It’s like management upended the whole development pipeline and shoved a pipebomb down into it.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States

In short YouTubers, gamers, and generally, people are too angry with mostly gaming related content, and liberal politics.

My response is that we would be less angry if Gaming Journalists did their jobs. If they called out the Activisions and EAs of the world more instead of Youtubers doing it. Time after time again it's been angry Youtubers like Angry Joe, and Sterling as well as your YongYea that have been against the "up charging of games". This by the way was given one line, one fucking line on the article, buried inside the articles. And yeah I don't personally agree with the politics of Angry Joe or even Sterling on many a political issue, but they do have a point when Games are getting more expensive when microtransactions are ripping people off, and creating gambling habits. If Games exec and shareholders weren't trying to ruin new media as they did with old media we wouldn't be having this conversation.

It's like that Bill Maher segment I don't know it for a fact, but I know it to be true that this journalist an elite who likely makes money off doing mostly non-controversial reviews of products kind of like a soft-headed political party I been railing about doing not enough or anything at all sometimes.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Kind of old, but still. Regardless of whatever people think of Kojima it’s pretty sad, but ultimately inspiring. One of the comments -

rodrigo m
wow, this explains death stranding, makes it entirely clear. death stranding is an allegory to his life and how he felt after all of this. ''I thought I had lost everything, but i found out that I had a lot of CONNECTIONS. like Sony people, like Norman Reedus, like Geoff Keighley. I really wanted to RECONNECT with these people that I thought were really important.''

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

In other words, he got married lol.

But seriously, more power to him. He could still make “good” videos though whenever he feels like it, as he really doesn’t need to compete with anyone. There’s only one dunk!

Reactions: Dalisclock