Game Boy, I Love You

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
Game Boy, I Love You

In honor of the Game Boy's 20th Anniversary, Tom looks back on his favorite Game Boy memories.

Read Full Article

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Ahh, the good old days. I miss you portable Tetris and Pokemon Pinball (the only version of Pokemon where I was able/willing to collect em all). I didn't have a gameboy until I was... 11? maybe 12? Which was about 5 years after it was out, but man it was all I could do. I saved up for that thing, and they were already cheap because they had put out the gameboy color (I remember the ads, and I also remember the ads for being able to plug the gameboy color games into your SNES which I never had and play them ON TV!!!) and so it was cheap enough for a few allowances worth. I took my Tetris everywhere. I should see if I can get one now and relive all my childhood memories.

ffxfriek

Apr 3, 2008
coldfrog said:
Ahh, the good old days. I miss you portable Tetris and Pokemon Pinball (the only version of Pokemon where I was able/willing to collect em all). I didn't have a gameboy until I was... 11? maybe 12? Which was about 5 years after it was out, but man it was all I could do. I saved up for that thing, and they were already cheap because they had put out the gameboy color (I remember the ads, and I also remember the ads for being able to plug the gameboy color games into your SNES which I never had and play them ON TV!!!) and so it was cheap enough for a few allowances worth. I took my Tetris everywhere. I should see if I can get one now and relive all my childhood memories.
that and mario bros for it... good days *wipes tear*

AceDefective

Mar 23, 2009
~And i'll alwas love yooouuu~
~oh Gameboy you came and you gave without takin~
~If you'll excuse an expression i use i'm in love i'm in love with a wonderful system~
And to coldfrog i still have portable tetris on my Gameboycolor

Ago Iterum

Dec 31, 2007
PedroSteckecilo said:
The DS Lite is my first handheld...

I love you DS lite!
Really?? First handheld? Wow, you missed out on the golden age of Pokemon Gold!

I'll pray for you.

*EDIT* Haha... Golden age of Pokemon Gold... I get it now.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
Ah yes, good times, good times.

I remember visiting my aunt in England and buying Pokemon Red for my GB Pocket.
I still love my Game Boy, in all it's variations:)

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Tom, I'm disappointed in you for this piece for two reasons.

1.) You missed the "Game Boy, I Choose You!" pun in the title there.

2.) You didn't use "You can't spell Nintendo without 'T.Endo'" as your byline.

Otherwise, great piece. I have many of the same memories with my Game Gear. Of course, most of the memories involve me actually seated on the floor plugged into a socket with the AC adapter, which kind of defeats the purpose of handheld gaming.

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
I'v had an interesting Gameboy monent(I didn't read the article, which i seem to be doing alot)But, anyway. I was playing the only real game for a nintendo portable, Pokemon, Blue to be percise, and i was playing it while on a trampoline. no i wasn't pulling off Gymnastics while gaming(If a game boy will be anywhere close to that) but i was moving around alot, and bouncing(Which is what you do on a trampoline)

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Ago Iterum said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
The DS Lite is my first handheld...

I love you DS lite!
Really?? First handheld? Wow, you missed out on the golden age of Pokemon Gold!

I'll pray for you.

*EDIT* Haha... Golden age of Pokemon Gold... I get it now.
Except for the fact that by the time Pokemon was released I was "too cool for it" being a badass teenager and all that.

I picked up the DS lite because TWEWY looked too good to pass up.

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
CantFaketheFunk said:
Tom, I'm disappointed in you for this piece for two reasons.

1.) You missed the "Game Boy, I Choose You!" pun in the title there.

2.) You didn't use "You can't spell Nintendo without 'T.Endo'" as your byline.

Otherwise, great piece. I have many of the same memories with my Game Gear. Of course, most of the memories involve me actually seated on the floor plugged into a socket with the AC adapter, which kind of defeats the purpose of handheld gaming.
Epic fail on my part regarding those first two points.

The Game Gear memory is the funniest thing I've read today.

apdomke

Aug 11, 2008
Tom basically described the exact same childhood experience that I had with my original gray and green Game Boy (minus the foreign grandparents and international flights). I forget what year it was (somewhere around 1993 maybe? I was probably around 8-10 years old.) and we were leaving to head to my grandparents for Christmas. My parents always let my 2 brothers and me open one present each before we left. But, this time, they picked which one we opened. All three of us got identically sized boxes and ripped off that wrapping paper. I don't remmeber the last time I was so excited about a Christmas present. We even got these magnifying glass/light accesories that snapped on the top of the Game Boy so you could play in the dark and it would magnify the screen. I played my Game Boy every chance I got: every car ride to the grocery store, between homework and dinner, at the bus stop, etc. And it was awesome, AWESOME, when we got that adapter that played Game Boy cartridges on the SNES, IN COLOR! I remember you could even choose different themes that would decorate the perimeter of the TV screen (we always went for the one that looked like people watching a movie at a theater).

Tom, awesome column.

MegMurph

Mar 4, 2008
Fact: As an Adult I cannot read or even look at my iphone when riding in car or I get headaches and nauseous.

Fact: As a Child I can play hours of Paper Boy on my Game Boy in the car (with attachable light for night time) and not feel nauseous.

Conclusion: Game Boy = hours of non-nauseous fun, unlike READING A BOOK in a car

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
I had two Game Boys at one point. I put one somewhere, forgot I had it (or thought I lost it) and got another one. Still have my Limited Edition Pikachu Game Boy Color (with Game Boy camera and printer, natch.)

Feb 8, 2009
I had a GBA, and the first game I had on it was Pokemon Silver. The only thing I had been exposed to at that point was mario, so the wealth of content overwhelmed me, and the fact that I could take it everywhere ruled.

I recently got my GBA out again, and replayed through some games, mostly pokemon. (I like it ok) I will be buying a DS to keep my handheld addiction going. I know the graphics may not be that good, but I love handheld Nintendo consoles.

Gameboy rules!

Apr 21, 2009
20 years, OMG now im feelig old, it only felt like yesterday that i was begging my mum and dad to buy me it, how hand held gameing has come along.

im off to bed now as im far to old to be up past midnight hahahahaha YAWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Ben66

Mar 6, 2009
Oh God, the memories.

The Gameboy was a major part of my child hood as well, and was my best friend on long car trips. The Zelda Oracle games were my favorites on the system, rivaled only by Donkey Kong 94'.