Game Characters you were meant to hate but are actually rather fond of

Ophi

Jun 28, 2009
Plurralbles said:
Ophi said:
Azure Kite of .hack//G.U.

He's a soul-less, zombie-like mockery of the protagonist of the original .hack games, accused of murdering the current protagonist's girlfriend, screwing you over at the worst possible times.

But I had an overwhelming urge to give him a great big hug whenever he was onscreen.

dude, was Hack a good series? I've read about it and it looks interesting but I can't find anyone I trust who likes the thing. It's gotten no awards, isn't on any top thing lists, and has a nice big collective 6.5 rating as a whole.

I loved it, one of my top series, but it's incredibly hit-or-miss. You either love it or hate it. If you aren't a fan of MMOs (gameplay and story) or anime (art style and characters), stay far away. Certainly not for everyone, especially not for everyone on the Escapist, since I'm well aware of how much hostility people have towards anime here...

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
Liking the bad guys more than the good guys isn't anything new for me, and not just in video games.

-I liked the Enclave president in Fallout 3.

-Boba Fett is still the classic example of fans liking a character they were never meant to.

-I liked Bowser and hated Mario.

-In Bioshock I hated Jack and liked the Big Daddies.

-Fuck the dumb cliched space marines in Killzone 2, the game should have nothing but helghast vs. helghast.

-For one episode I would have liked to have seen shredder defeat the turtles and turn them into turtle stew.

bassdrum

jygabyte!
Oct 6, 2009
Navi! (The preceding was a joke. That little white fluffball needs to be shot on sight.)

More realistically, I find Francis (from L4D) to be a rather entertaining character, despite the fact that I would find him annoying to no end if I was stuck with him through the zombocalypse, listening to him talk about how much he hates vans, small towns, the woods...

May 1, 2009
Ganondorf. He's just bad-ass. And Kain from the Legacy of Kain series. Even though he's the main character I feel like the writers want you to hate him. But his sheer bad-assness would make Ganondorf cry. And then shit Bricks. Hell the promo for Blood Omen 2 labled him 'Gaming's most evil bad-ass'. It's hard to not love that.

Mordwyl

Feb 5, 2009
Raoh (Fist of the North Star), to the point he's more popular than Kenshiro himself amongst fans.

Akainu (One Piece), while vilified and reviled by fans for his actions he did something completely groundbreaking in the series.

Kefka (Final Fantasy 6), was the first final fantasy antagonist with an actual three-dimensional personality. He's a nut case but a damn successful one at that.

Dr. Nefarious (Ratchet and Clank), for plenty of reasons.

keillord

Feb 10, 2010
Most of the main bad guys in games. I mean if half the crap that happened to them happened to me I would want to destroy the world too.

bassdrum

jygabyte!
Oct 6, 2009
Wakefield said:
bassdrum said:
Navi! (The preceding was a joke. That little white fluffball needs to be shot on sight.)
You may be joking but I'm not. I liked Navi.
Fair enough. But after hearing 'Listen!' shouted at me hundreds of times while I was exploring and looking for treasure (or, more ridiculously, when I was doing what I had been told to do), I just got annoyed with the damn thing. So I guess that that's a character I was meant to be fond of but actually rather hate.

ineedscissors

Oct 24, 2009
ocelot from mgs. i know he's a bit of a dick and he shot your eye out in one game, but he's just so goddamn cool

Wakefield

Aug 3, 2009
bassdrum said:
Wakefield said:
bassdrum said:
Fair enough. But after hearing 'Listen!' shouted at me hundreds of times while I was exploring and looking for treasure (or, more ridiculously, when I was doing what I had been told to do), I just got annoyed with the damn thing. So I guess that that's a character I was meant to be fond of but actually rather hate.
I totally understand where all the hate comes from, but I don't know it just never bothered me like it bothered other people.

but that owl can burn for all eternity.

bassdrum

jygabyte!
Oct 6, 2009
Wakefield said:
bassdrum said:
Wakefield said:
bassdrum said:
I totally understand where all the hate comes from, but I don't know it just never bothered me like it bothered other people.

but that owl can burn for all eternity.
It's kind of funny that a game that popular has so many characters which people hate.

Ace of Spades

Jul 12, 2008
Kollega said:
OT: Claptrap and Scooter in Borderlands. Everyone goes on about how they're ear-drillingly annoying, but i just find Claptrap's silly dance moves and Scooter's idiotic accent amusing.
I knew I wasn't the only one who thought that way.

Stoic raptor

Jul 19, 2009
Zeromaeus said:
Stoic raptor said:
Zeromaeus said:
Stoic raptor said:
Andrew Ryan. At least, I think your supposed to hate him. I did until the very end.
I hated him for his hypocrisy.
Please explain
Specifically in BioShock 2 (freshest experience on the mind) Andrew Ryan's whole thing was that he would make a town where people would be able to carry themselves without the interference of church or state, without censorship or guidelines, moral or otherwise. He then proceeded to censor and repress all those who publicly disagreed with him in his civilization and demand that everyone obey his credo as faithfully as someone would follow a religion.
Topside Johnny (or whatever he was called) showed every aspect of Andrew Ryan's utopian views. He did what he wanted with his own power that he himself had earned. When he found Rapture, he was reported to Ryan by a certain individual Ryan proceeded to repress this man and torture him. Ultimately he was turned into a slave for Ryan in the form of a Big Daddy, oddly enough becoming a perfect representation of Lamb's views.

I didn't hate him so much in the first game. He seemed more like a dick than a hypocrite, and that was ok. His city had fallen apart. He deserved to act a little dickish.
I have never tried bioshock 2. My only experiance is from the 1st game

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Mordwyl said:
Dr. Nefarious (Ratchet and Clank), for plenty of reasons.
Just so you know, most fans like him. Even a bit too much.

Everybody loves Doctor Nefarious.

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
ummm i'd say The Nazi's are portrayed as evil as satan. But in a historical point of view they really weren't as "evil" as everyone thinks.

OutcastBOS

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2009
Pyromaniac1337 said:
Big Smoke, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

After the first quarter of the game, he's portrayed as being a hypocritical, lieing asshole. Yet when you finally face him, it turns out he's just another of Tenpenny's victims.
Throughout the game, I loved Smoke. "you ate all my damn food up!" "yeah, it was getting cold!"

OT Bowser especially after Paper Mario

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Darth Nihilus, he's just a badass unfeeling, life-sucking, killing machine. Sure he's silent and he doesn't get much screen time, but he's damn cool.

jabobotron666

Feb 11, 2010
the colossi from shadow of the colossus. they were just hangin out, but. well, shit, my gf was dead, and a dudes gotta do, what a dudes gotta do.